Subject: Re: [SIP] OPTIONS behaviour with forking proxy

From: Mark Wisdom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:20:03 -0700 (PDT)

No one has responded to this so far. Surely I can't be the only one
who wants to make use of the OPTIONS method. Any opinions or
authoritative answers out there on this?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mark Wisdom <mwisdom>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] OPTIONS behaviour with forking proxy

What should a registration server acting as a forking proxy do when it
receives a SIP OPTIONS message which resolves to 2 or more contacts?

Should it:

A. Respond with "300 Multiple Choices".
B. Fork the request off to the multiple choices and then relay the
   first received response back to the original requester?
C. Something else.

I suspect A, but I can't seem to find enough information in
RFC2543 to be certain.

Thanks,
Mark

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

> I suspect A, but I can't seem to find enough information in

OPTIONS isn't any different from any other method...you fork the request off
to every registered location, and send back all the 2xx-class responses or
the first failure response you get.

This means that people who send OPTIONS requests need to expect to get
multiple 2xx responses, of course.

-- 
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:29:40 -0400

> the first failure response you get.

Just to be clear here - you send back all 200's, or you send the best
response presuming there are no 200's. The best response isn't
necessarily the first failure response.

Also, just like any other method, the server could alternately redirect
instead of forking, option A above.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com