Subject: [SIP] MGCP / SIP interaction

From: "Hiren Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:30:21 +0530

Hi all

I have a small doubt in the concept.
Suppose MGCP protocol is used to transfer audio between two telephones through a packet network using the call agents and media gateways.
I have read that SIP is used between the call agent to call agent communication in a wide network. I am failing to get the point behind this.Please send me some justification of why SIP is required between the communication.

regards
Hiren

A Candle never  loses any of its light by lighting other Candles

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:56:54 -0500

If all you want to do is have two phones controlled via MGCP from the same
MGC, you don't need SIP.

I would however argue that you want to do more.

What happens if you want to talk from a device controlled by one MGC to a
device controlled by another MGC? What if those MGCs are in two different
administrative domains?

What happens if one of the end devices is NOT a stupid "slave" endpoint and
its operator doesn't want it "controlled" by a single carrier?

How do you invole value-added services provided by someone who is NOT
affiliated with your carrier in conjunction with a call that is controlled
by your carrier's MGC?

--
Dean

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Hiren Shah
  Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 2:00 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [SIP] MGCP / SIP interaction

  Hi all

  I have a small doubt in the concept.
  Suppose MGCP protocol is used to transfer audio between two telephones
through a packet network using the call agents and media gateways.
  I have read that SIP is used between the call agent to call agent
communication in a wide network. I am failing to get the point behind
this.Please send me some justification of why SIP is required between the
communication.

  regards
  Hiren