Subject: [SIP] regarding the SIP url

From: "VIBHU RISHI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:25:44 +0530

hi,

in the sip draft, it is defined that we will be using the SIP URL for
addressing sip objects ( sec. 1.4.1 ). To me it looks like that the SIP
address is similar to the e-mail addresses . ( user@host ). So, why is
it that SIP address was taken as a different address. Why is it that the
e-mail address is not taken as a the sip address ?

My argument is this, since everyone will be having e-mail, the person
can use the same e-mail ids to make calls on SIP. There will be no need
to remeber another id just to make calls. Since we are looking at
convergence, we can have the mail servers act as the sip servers. 

Since I am new to SIP, my thought process might have flaws. Please feel
free to bring them to my notice :-)

vibhu..

-- 
You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather
was.
-Irish Proverb
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Vibhu Rishi                 e@  [email-masked]
Sr. Systems Engineer     ring@  5539134-39 ext.: 407/405		
WIPRO
Madivala I - Bangalore
---------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:19:22 -0400

> e-mail address is not taken as a the sip address ?

Sure, you can certainly use your email address as your SIP address. We
chose the formatting specifically to support this. Its not mandatory, of
course, so that I can have separate providers for sip and email. So, if
dynamicsoft provides both my email and sip service, my email address is
[email-masked] and my sip URL is sip:[email-masked]. 

> convergence, we can have the mail servers act as the sip servers.

Um, no. Just because these are the same address does not mean they are
the same server. Ideally, with SRV records deployed, there would be a
_sip._udp entry for the SIP server for each domain, likely a different
machine than the mail server.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com