Subject: [SIP] SIP for all Networking Environments

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALARC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:46:25 -0400

Hi, Everyone:

It appears to me that some people may think: SIP can only be used in certain
special circumstances.

However, per RFC 2534, SIP is an application layer control (signaling)
protocol for creating, modifying and terminating sessions with one or more
participants.

So, SIP can be used for all networking environments: Fixed wire-line
networks, cellular (wireless) networks, and/or wireless LANs.

In the cell-based networking environment, 100s and 1000s of users will be
entering and leaving a cell while each session has to go on using SIP.

Definitely, there may be some special requirements especially for the highly
mobile cellular (wireless) networking environments (or in combination of
fixed + mobile) that have NOT been envisioned in RFC 2534. Some of these
issues have been surfaced in some recent internet drafts and email
discussions.

As a result, it is no wonder that we may see some extensions of SIP to
accommodate those requirements in the future.

We might have to address those issues to make SIP a powerful application
layer control protocol that can be used in all networking environments.

Going forward, let us address those technical issues keeping our eyes open.
(Let us keep in our mind that SIP still needs extensions even for the fixed
wire-line networking environment - not to speak about highly mobile
communications networking environments).

Best regards,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T
+1 732 420 1580
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip