Subject: [SIP] Proxies enforcing UA compliance

From: David Daiker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:58:52 -0400 (EDT)

I have a general question about the recommended behavior of a proxy that 
receives a non-compliant message from a UAC.

Specifically, what should a proxy do with a final response to an INVITE
that lacks a 'tag' parameter in its 'To' field.

Should it be forwarded and let the UA figure it out ?
or drop it until the callee gives up and quits re-transmitting it ?

thanks,
david

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:51:17 -0400

> or drop it until the callee gives up and quits re-transmitting it ?

Proxies don't really care about tags in the To fields (they do need to
be aware of them for matching rules of responses to requests, but thats
it). So, they should definitely forward the response upstream. 

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com