Subject: [SIP] (no subject)

From: "Hiren Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:09:25 +0530

Hi all
nara and Glenn cleared some of my doubts and now i can place SIP in the picture in an MGCP media transfer.I have another small doubt.Basically i am very new to SIP and  MGCP.Let me give you a very simple scenario.
You have a media gateway which just gets a media stream in analog form from a source connected to the media gateway .This media gateway transfers the media stream using MGCP and the call agent to a distant location where another media gateway of the same vendor is located .This media gateway then routes the media stream to some destination in analog form.This is the most simplest scenario i could think of.
I think you need to have two call agents residing near the two media gateways since they are geographically very far. 
Now in the above case the vendors of the media gateway are the same and there is no need of any SS7 signalling as the endpoints are simple analog sources connected by twisted pair wires to the gateway.
Now in this case Is there any need of SIP between the two call agents ?

regards
Hiren

A Candle never  loses any of its light by lighting other Candles

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:32:29 -0400

If you need two call agents, then they must communicate.  What protocol
would you choose?
 
If the call agents come from one vendor, then they may of course use a
proprietary protocol.
However, the network operator may wish to have the CAs use a standard
protocol.  There are
several choices - ISUP/SS7 is one choice, especially the Q.BICC variant.
H.323 is another
choice.  SIP is yet another choice.  
 
You started out assuming you wanted a Media Gateway/Media Gateway Controller
architecture.
That may be very appropriate for some kinds of gateways, but "intelligent"
devices may be
more appropriate for other kinds of endpoints.  Complex systems may have
both kinds in the network.  One of the nice characteristics of sip is that
you can build quite simple UAs, or
quite complex UA/Server combinations.  This is less true of some other
protocol choices.
 
One other statement you made bothers me  you implied that the distance
between the gateways
was the reason you needed two call agents.  This should not be true -
distance is not an important
factor in deciding what Call Agent should control what Gateways.  Such
decisions may take into
account administrative boundaries, network bandwidth, CA capacity, and
network topology.
In a simple case as you describe, one CA may be very appropriate.  
 
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Hiren Shah [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 11:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] (no subject)

Hi all
nara and Glenn cleared some of my doubts and now i can place SIP in the
picture in an MGCP media transfer.I have another small doubt.Basically i am
very new to SIP and  MGCP.Let me give you a very simple scenario.
You have a media gateway which just gets a media stream in analog form from
a source connected to the media gateway .This media gateway transfers the
media stream using MGCP and the call agent to a distant location where
another media gateway of the same vendor is located .This media gateway then
routes the media stream to some destination in analog form.This is the most
simplest scenario i could think of.
I think you need to have two call agents residing near the two media
gateways since they are geographically very far. 
Now in the above case the vendors of the media gateway are the same and
there is no need of any SS7 signalling as the endpoints are simple analog
sources connected by twisted pair wires to the gateway.
Now in this case Is there any need of SIP between the two call agents ?
 
regards
Hiren

---

From: "Viral Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:50:38 -0500

Softswitches run into a similar issue and SIP BCP-T is used for inter softswitch communication. One advantage of using SIP BCP-T is that it allows intelligent terminals to hook up with the network elements and have control of the call which is vital for providing enhanced services. Moreover, for intelligent services, you need to be able to exchange information during the call - esp. DTMF. 

The following draft addresses "in-call" event notification issues like DTMF notification:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-culpepper-sip-info-event-00.txt

- Viral

Viral Bharatia
Intervoice-Brite

>>> "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]> 04/25 8:32 AM >>>

 
 
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Hiren Shah [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 11:39 PM
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Subject: [SIP] (no subject)

Hi all
 
regards
Hiren

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip