Subject: [SIP] Mime-Version and Content-Language in new Bis

From: Gethin Liddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:25:28 +0100

Hi,

can i get confirmation that the mime-version and content-language headers should be present (or not) in the new bis please.

I remember a thread on the validity of the content-language and thought the result was that it should not exist.

It is still present in the new bis (May) along with the mime-version header but neither are mentioned in Appendix F, have a description of their use or are marked as new.

thanx

-- 
Gethin Liddell
Ubiquity Software Corporation

http://www.ubiquity.net
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 08:52:45 -0400

> I remember a thread on the validity of the content-language and thought the result was that it should not exist.

I don't think there was such a conclusion. My opinion is that it is an
optional header and thus no harm is done nor is complexity increased by
including it. It may be useful in some limited circumstances. If
information is exported from an HTTP source to a SIP destination, it
seems to make sense to avoid losing information when doing the
exporting. One slightly less contrived use might be within MIME
multiparts, so that a Canadian SIP server could automatically return and
label the English and French versions of the HTML or error response (see
RFC 1766, Section 3.).

MIME-Version again would be optional. I'm not sure if any HTTP servers
actually produce this header. As far as I can tell, it's basically a
no-op, i.e., it doesn't seem to change behavior in the client or server
in any way. I suppose it would matter only if MIME Version 2.0 came
along and we wanted to signal this. (Unlike HTTP, SIP obviously does
make more extensive use of MIME for multipart bodies.)

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs