Subject: [SIP] Re: SIP for PSTN services

From: S_S_Dinesh/India/[email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:10:26 +0530

[email-masked] wrote:
>
> Hi,
> We need to use SIP to connect to PSTN side Fax, click to dial etc.
> I read through the PINT draft which is supposeldy catering to this type
of
> service.
>
> However, I wanted to know which approach to select. Is PINT the standard
> way for PSTN service interaction ?
> It seems whatever PINT states can be done with regular SIP - or is that
> incorrect

PINT provides three specific functions - click-to-dial, click-to-fax,
and click-for-content. It is not a general purpose protocol for PSTN
service interaction. The scope of PSTN service interaction is
sufficiently large that I think there will be many ways. For example,
look at the recent SPIRITS working group.

It is possible to do these three services with vanilla SIP. There are
significant differences in how the service is delivered, though, with
pros and cons for both approaches. A colleague and I submitted a draft
on Friday entitled "Third Party Call Control in SIP", which looks at a
general purpose SIP approach for third party call control (its not an
extension, just a usage). One of the services discussed is click to
dial, and there is a brief comparison to pint. I'm sure there are other
ways of providing this service beyond pint and whats in the draft.

Until it appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy of the draft
at:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-sip-3pcc-00.txt

>
> And is my understanding that PINT is nothing but SIP/SDP  with some
> extensions and is analogous to the various SIP extensions drafts
> that are in existence today ?

Yes. PINT extends SDP more than SIP, since it describes sessions that
are purely on the telephone network.

-Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip