Subject: [SIP] SipUrl header BNF incorrect in bis

From: Gethin Liddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:31:41 +0100

Hi,

I think the BNF in the new bis draft concerning SipUrl and headers is wrong:

p.18 Section 2 Figure 3 says

hname = hnv-unreserved | unreserved | escaped
hvalue = hnv-unreserved | unreserved | escaped

should this not be:

hname = 1*(hnv-unreserved | unreserved | escaped)
hvalue = *(hnv-unreserved | unreserved | escaped)

small point, but just making sure

cheers

-- 
Gethin Liddell
Ubiquity Software Corporation

http://www.ubiquity.net
mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Rick Workman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:16:32 -0400

Further to Gethin's point, an earlier discussion on the unreserved characters
for paramaters and headers doesn't seem to have been accuarately captured in the
May bis. I think the two key requirements for these character sets are 1) they
should be subsets of the URL reserved character set (ref RFC 2396/2732), and 2)
they should avoid any characters which would cause ambiguities in the SIP
grammar.

1. It was discussed that "," should not be included in param-unreserved (and by
extension with hnv-unreserved) "because URLs are allowed in certain headers and
allowing commas in SIP URLs will make parsing those headers sometime
impossible.". I thought this point was accepted, but maybe I missed something.

2. RFC 2732 adds "[" and "]" to the URL reserved set to support IPv6 address
syntax. As a consequence, I think these should also be added to param-unreserved
and hnv-unreserved, since I don't think they cause any ambiguity issues.

Rick Workman
Nortel Networks