Subject: [SIP] 606 content clarification

From: Francois-Xavier Guitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:34:02 +0200

Dear all,

The RFC2543 is not very clear regarding the SDP content of a 606 - Not
Acceptable response. I think it should be useful to specify in the 606
response all the media capabilities supported by the callee user agent.
It will allow the caller to send directly a new INVITE with the right
SDP description, without using supplementary OPTIONS discovery message,
or INVITE with no SDP.

Can we precise that point in the next edition of the RFC 2543 ???

Regards,

Francois-Xavier Guitton (SWD/ULC)

mailto:[email-masked]
Tel: +33 (0)1 69 63 47 52
Fax: +33 (0)1 69 63 17 89

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 01:04:07 -0400

> SDP description, without using supplementary OPTIONS discovery message,

Well, the response is supposed to contain Warning headers which indicate
what the problem was. These give additional information, such as whether
one of the media streams was unacceptable, or whether there was no
common transport protocol. Right now, though, the spec doesn't seem to
say anything about placement of SDP in the response. I suppose you could
put it there, in which case it should be formatted the same way it would
for OPTIONS.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com