Subject: [SIP] Comment on section 6.34.3 in rfc2543bis

From: Lars Berggren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 13:39:32 +0200 (CEST)

I quote:
"We define the calling URI as the URI found in the Contact header of the
 request from the calling UA, if present, or the From header, if there is
 no Contact header. The called UA copies the Record-Route entries,
 maintaining their ordering, to the Route header field. However, all
 components except the maddr parameter are replaced by the
 calling URI."

As I interpret this, a proxy can not specify which port or the transport
protocol it wants to be used in subsequent requests from the called UA 
since the only parameter of the url of the proxy that is reflected in the
Route-list is maddr. Is this correct? 

What about rr-extension, is it supposed to be copied into the route field 
as a route-extension or is that supposed to be defined by the extension?

I think it could be useful for a proxy to signal that it wants to have the
rr-extension copied into subsequent requests in some way. For example, a
call stateful proxy could store call state in a rr-extension parameter.

Thanks

/Lars

Lars Berggren       <mailto:[email-masked]>
Intertex Data AB    tel: +46-8-6282828
Sundbyberg, Sweden  fax: +46-8-6286414

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:35:47 -0400

> Route-list is maddr. Is this correct?

Actually, I think this should include port and transport (although as
per other threads the transport is not terribly critical, more a
preference for a first try).

> as a route-extension or is that supposed to be defined by the extension?

THis came up at the bakeoff. Copying it into the Route header doesn't
help, since that Route header is stripped off before getting back to the
person who inserted it. Thus, you can put something into Record-Route,
but you won't get it back in Route. This is what the State header in DCS
is for.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com