Subject: [SIP] Domain or Zone concept

From: Tricia Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 11:02:17 -0700

Hi,
   does SIP have Domain or Zone concept ?
I would assume it does, cause I saw a Draft describing SIP interdomain
architecture.
If it does, how does it define a Domain or Zone ? by Register on a SIP
Server ?

By the way, is there a API for SIP network?  I saw a Draft Java Servlet API
but that's about it.

Thank you for the time.

Tricia 
NeTrue Communications Inc.

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:17:40 +0100

Still waiting for my ride home so I'll continue to try and give Jonathan a rest
from having to answer everything...

> If it does, how does it define a Domain or Zone ? by Register on a SIP

SIP domains are encapsulated within SIP URLs, e.g sip:user@domain. To find a
sip server for a user you might do DNS query for a SIP Server associated with
their domain.  The Request-URI of a REGISTER also names the domain of a
registration request.

> By the way, is there a API for SIP network?  I saw a Draft Java Servlet API

Not sure what exactly you mean by an API to a 'SIP network' but there are
various contenders for service creation in a SIP network - CPL, Servlets
SIP-CGI for example. Have a look around Henning's site, in particular ..

    http://www.cs.columbia.edu/%7Ehgs/sip/drafts_api.html

There is also talk of JAIN/PARLAY interfaces to SIP exisiting in the future.
hth,
Neil
--
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK           http://www.ubiquity.net

---

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:32:17 +0100

> If it does, how does it define a Domain or Zone ? by Register on a SIP

I would say that the only concept of domains in vanilla SIP is really
those of DNS. At a different level people talk about a particular
providers network consituting a domain of its own, especially when
discussing trust issues. Trust domains will obviously not generally map
onto DNS domains one-to-one.

> By the way, is there a API for SIP network?  I saw a Draft Java Servlet API

Right. That would be

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kristensen-sip-servlet-00.txt

There will hopefully be an update of that draft sometime in the future
(then I haven't said too much ;-).  I did set up a mailing list for
discussions related to the API (see http://com.hp.sip.listbot.com/) but
it's been very quiet.

Anders

-- 
Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>,
http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/ak/
Hewlett-Packard Labs, Bristol, UK