Subject: RE: [SIP] Second try : Questions about REGISTER

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 19:00:46 -0500 (CDT)

> Personally, I wonder why we didn't just go ahead and include the user part
> in the request-URI. This would allow my request-chaining REGISTER to be
> fairly explicitly stated and solve lots of messiness.
> 
> --
> Dean
> 

I second that :) I've never understood the rationale behind excluding the user part in
the Request-URI of a REGISTER request.

--
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 22:15:42 -0400

> the Request-URI of a REGISTER request.

This may well be worth doing; the motivation was that REGISTER is
somewhat different in that you are not addressing the user directly, as
in INVITE. If a registrar/proxy server were to ignore that REGISTER is
special and needs to be handled locally, it would just send the request
to whatever foo@domain translates to.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 00:45:12 -0400

> to whatever foo@domain translates to.

I'm not sure I see what is gained by adding a user portion. What is the
semantic of having a user portion in the request URI? This still doesn't
change how a proxy looks up registrations when an INVITE request is
received (still based on request URI), which is what Dean is asking for.

I agree completely with Dean that there is value in being able to route
based on the To field for certain things. It is my belief that out of
the ordinary routing and request handling services, in general, will
require programmability in proxies (though CPL, or more likely CGI or
servlets). I can think of a reason to making a routing decision based on
almost any header field in the request. Rather than specifying these
things in the protocol, leaving them to custom applications gives you
maximum flexibility.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com