Subject: [SIP] Question abt. Content-Disposition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:37:08 +0530

Hi,

According to the description of Content-Dispotion (C-D) header, its role is
to tell the UA whether the message (part) has to be
necessarily idenfied or not by the UA.

So, if I had a MIME header with 2 parts, with my first part being an ISUP
encoded payload and my second part being a message which I really dont care
if the UA understands or not,  I do:

--- begin ----
INVITE sip:[email-masked] SIP/2.0
<etc ... etc>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=unique-boundary-1

--unique-boundary-1
Content-type:application/isup
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary

.. <binary payload > ...

--unique-boundary-1
Content-type:application/moohaa
Content-Diposition:inline;handling=optional

I dont really care if you understand me or not

--unique-boundary-1--

--- end ---

Is the above correct ?

I could find any reference to what the disposition type token is all abt,
and when I should specify which.
Also, what is the extension-param in disposition type for ?

If all its use is to tell the UA to mandatorily/optionally understand a
message part, then isnt

Content-Disposition - "Content-Disposition" ":" dispositon-type
disposition-type = "optional" | "required"
enough ?
Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:24:37 -0400

The purpose of this is that we have found that Content-Type defines the
*syntax* of the content, but not the semantics. In some cases, one
implies the other, and in other cases, they don't. As an example, if a
receive an INVITE with a multipart, and one of the multiparts contains a
URI list, what is that URI list for? Is it content to be displayed (like
a jpeg), or is it a way to fetch the session description? The idea with
Content-Disposition is that it tells you the purpose of the content (and
also if its optional or mandatory).

Another application of it is in:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lennox-sip-reg-payload-00.txt

which calls it Content-Purpose, but the need is the same - what is the
purpose of the payload in the registration message.

Some of the possible purposes include:

session (like SDP)
inline (display to the user, like JPEG or html)
authorization (like an OSP token)
sip-cgi (a CGI script)
cpl (A CPL script)

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com