Subject: [SIP] Comments on draft-ietf-sip-isup-mime-01

From: "Joshua Moloney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:57:28 +0100

Hi all,

Having skipped through the new release of the draft specifying the rules
surrounding ISUP & QSIG MIME types, I have a question...

It is my understanding that the Content-Transfer-Encoding header was
primarily used to indicate that a message body had been transformed into a
format that wasn't 8-bit clean (thanks to Jonathan R. for explaining that!).
SIP is 8-bit clean (so I'm told!), so here's the rub - why is the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header used to specify binary, when we know it's
going to be binary anyway? Can't we ditch it?

Cheers,

Josh Moloney
Nortel Networks

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 19:10:31 -0400

Yes, I believe it should be removed.

-Jonathan R.

> Joshua Moloney wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> Having skipped through the new release of the draft specifying the
> rules surrounding ISUP & QSIG MIME types, I have a question...
> 
> primarily used to indicate that a message body had been transformed
> into a format that wasn't 8-bit clean (thanks to Jonathan R. for
> explaining that!). SIP is 8-bit clean (so I'm told!), so here's the
> rub - why is the Content-Transfer-Encoding header used to specify
> binary, when we know it's going to be binary anyway? Can't we ditch
> it?
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Josh Moloney
> Nortel Networks

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip