Subject: [SIP] Forking Proxy Behaviour w.r.t. Multiple 401 & 407 responses

From: Phil Hoffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:47:54 +0100

Hi,

IMHO various sections within the new version of the bis draft should
be updated to reflect the changes made to the paragraph dealing
with 4xx,5xx response in section 12.4, pg 84.

The modification deals with how a forking proxy should handle multiple
authentication responses.

This modification means that SIP authentication moves further away
from the process defined in rfc2617, HTTP Authentication: Basic and
Digest Access Authentication.

Perhaps section 14.1 in the bis draft should include a list of
general differences w.r.t. SIP Authentication.

The topics I'd like to see mentioned are:

1) Now possible for user agent to receive challenges from more than
   1 realm in a single response. This contradicts last paragraph of
   section 3.6 in rfc2617.

2) Possible to receive Proxy-Authenticate header in a 401 response.

   That said, it's not explicitly stated in rfc2617 that a 401 response
   can't contain a Proxy-Authenticate header.

Also other sections of the bis draft need to be updated inline with
this change;

1) Table 5, pg 36, add 401 to "where" column for Proxy-Authenticate
   header.

2) Add note to section 6.31 Proxy Authenticate, discussing use of
   the header in a 401 response in the forking proxy scenario.

What do you think?

Regards
Phil

--
Phil Hoffer                         Ubiquity Software Corporation
Software Developer                  Ubiquity House
Tel: +44 (0) 1633-765600            Langstone Park
Fax: +44 (0) 1633-765601            Newport   NP18 2LH
URL: http://www.ubiquity.net

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 13:20:32 -0400

I've made changes in various places reflecting this discussion. Thanks
for the comments.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs