Subject: [SIP] Case sensitivity

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 10:31:13 -0400

I believe we need to take a closer look at the annoying topic of
case-sensitivity (or not).

A rough summary is:

Method              CS
Header field name   CI
Any Accept-* token  CI  (includes compression, language, media type)
SDP encoding name   CI  (such as PCMU, L16, etc.)
URL                 mostly CS (except host)

Some additional issues:
(1) Parameters like ;level or ;q in Accept. Are ;LEVEL and ;Q the same
thing? RFC 2616 seems to indicate this:

3.7:

The type, subtype, and parameter attribute names are case-
   insensitive. Parameter values might or might not be case-sensitive,
   depending on the semantics of the parameter name.

2.1 Augmented BNF

"literal"
      Quotation marks surround literal text. Unless stated otherwise,
      the text is case-insensitive.

[This would apply to most enumerated parameters, like "hop" or "hide"
tokens in our case, or the "action" tokens in Contact or
Content-Disposition or the Priority values.]

My general impression is that HTTP/1.x seems to treat tokens not
enclosed in quotation marks as CI and anything in quotation marks as CS,
with URLs as a separate matter.

(2) HTTP-date (and, thus, rfc1123-date) is case sensitive.

Any other cases?
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip