Subject: [SIP] RE: about proxy

From: Ge Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:46:46 +0800

hi, all,

If a UAC sends out an INVITE, which will tranverse 4 proxy servers until it
reaches the callee, the servers provide different services, this is standard
method of SIP. 

There is another approach: UAC sends out an INVITE to the first proxy
server, which may be its local proxy, then the proxy acts as a client and
sends the different service requests to the other 3 proxy servers. Upon the
first server receives the responses, it forwards the INVITE directly to the
callee, so the INVITE only need to tranverse ONE proxy.

Is that possible?

thanks for all reply.

Yu

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:35:48 -0400

> callee, so the INVITE only need to tranverse ONE proxy.

I think you are talking about forking, but I'm not certain. SIP allows a
proxy to receive one request, and forward more than one request out. IN
this case, the local proxy would fork and send three INVITEs. These
would hit three separate servers, each of which tries to contact the
user. As they receive responses, these responses are forwarded upstream
to the forking proxy. The first call acceptance that the forking proxy
receives is forwarded upstream towards the caller.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com