Subject: [SIP] Suspend a session??

From: Linden deCarmo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:54:22 -0400

Right now, SIP smoothly handles one party putting another party on hold via
a re-INVITE with modified SDP.  However, we have a scenario where the
session needs to be suspended (not just placed on hold), and I'm not sure
how this can be done without using proprietary headers.

Here are ther details.  If party A calls party B , party B should be able to
hang up without immediately terminating the session.  If party B picks up
the phone within some prescribed time window, the session continues.
However, if they don't pick it up within the time window, the session
terminates (via a BYE).

We're looking for a mechanism for party B to communicate with either party A
or a proxy server, to inform the distant party that the session has been
suspended, and not just placed on hold.  The primary motivator for this
notification is billing.  Without notification of suspension, its impossible
to determine when to safely stop billing.

Thanks.

Linden deCarmo
Netspeak Corporation
902 Clint Moore Road
Suite 104
Boca Raton, FL 33487

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:06:59 -0500

Have you considered building an auto-hold on switch-hook with a timer
that initaies a BYE into your UA? My first thought is that the suggested
behavior is a UA problem, not a proxy problem. Unless it is a flaw in
the billing model . . .

B calls A.
B places receiver on-hook.
B sends reINVITE-to-HOLD to A.
B starts timer.
Timer expires.
B sends BYE to A.

The only issue I see here is that B might vanish during the hold-period
and fail to send the BYE. This is a risk with call-hold in general, and
I believe there has been a proposal to use a configurable hold-timer in
end devices to recover from it.

--
Dean

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:46:07 -0500

If it was my decision, I would bill only for the QoS minutes for
this call.

Henry

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Dean Willis
>Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 6:07 PM
>To: Linden deCarmo
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [SIP] Suspend a session??
>
>
>