Subject: [SIP] draft 2543Bis

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 12:59:31 -0700

Hi,

Some comments on 2543Bis:

In the SIP URL syntax (figure 3) the new user parameter "np-queried" is
not defined.

Also in the Client error status codes (figure 7), the 487 code is not
defined.

And somes questions:

The second paragraph of the section 4.2.4 states that "the INVITE must
be completed with a final response". But which response do we must use?
A 487 like for a CANCEL or another response?

The first paragraph of the same section does not explain when the sender
of the BYE request must cease to transmit media streams. Is it when the
BYE is sent or when the 200 is received?

Thank you for your responses,

-- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: mailto:[email-masked]
Work: mailto:[email-masked]
"Everything I love is either immoral, illegal or makes you fat"

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 19:05:20 -0400

> In the SIP URL syntax (figure 3) the new user parameter "np-queried" is

Was there consensus this was the right way to do this? I recall we were
looking for something maybe more general, but I don't think the
discussion converged.

> A 487 like for a CANCEL or another response?

Doesn't actually matter. 4xx is probably fine.

> BYE is sent or when the 200 is received?

Practically speaking, if a UA sends a BYE, the user wants to end the
call, so you should probably stop sending audio right away. However, the
SIP machinery still needs to hang on for a bit. Its possible that a BYE
can generate a 5xx response with a retry-after; this can happen in a
particular condition when the UAS answers the phone and hangs up
immediately, and then the 200 OK and BYE pass on the wire. The caller
gets the BYE before getting the 200, and can't match it to a call leg
since it hasn't gotten the tag in the To yet to its original INVITE. So,
the right thing to do is respond to the BYE with retry-after to give the
200 OK a chance to arrive.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com