Subject: [SIP] draft-singh-sip-h323-01.txt comments

From: "Schroeder, Tim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:45:21 -0500

5.1.3, considering the case where the IWF does not contain a registrar or a
gatekeeper, says 

"If the destination address does not indicate the signaling protocol, a SIP
proxy server has to forward all incoming requests to a local IWF, just in
case the destination happens to be reachable via H.323."

Is this strictly true?  It would seem to me that a SIP proxy would first try
to find the called party using its normal SIP mechanisms, which would work
as usual for most cases (SIP-to-SIP, non-interworked calls).  Only if the
SIP proxy could not find the called party would it forward the call to an
H.323 IWF, hoping to find the destination in the H.323 cloud before
returning a 404 Not Found response.

4, requirement #2, says

"the user may dial any address without actually knowing whether it belongs
to the H.323 or the SIP cloud"

Is 'dial' referring to a SIP request to a tel URL?  Or just a request with a
more general destination (perhaps an alias) than a sip URL?

Tim Schroeder
SBC Technology Resources

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip