Subject: [SIP] 12.4 Forking Proxy - new bis draft

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:23:25 +0100

There was a recent discussion on this list (CANCEL related questions)
about the validity of the opening line of Section 12.4 Forking Proxy
...

"The server must respond to the request immediately with a 100 (Trying)
response."

I think the general consensus was that this is too sweeping a statement.
In the case of a CANCEL request this doesn't make sense as the Proxy
will respond immediately, probably with 200 but possibly 481. It also
makes no sense for an ACK.

It seems worth repeating the 200ms rule of Section 7.1 here ...

"The server must respond to the request immediately with a 100 (Trying)
response if it expects to take more than 200ms to obtain a final
response."

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK           http://www.ubiquity.net

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip