Subject: Re: [SIP] Content-Language header

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:36:58 +0000

> Realistically, what are the applications for Content-Language? What
> would a client do differently on receiving a Spanish version vs.
> English? I see the value in Accept-Language, so that I get the right
> thing back in the first place, but Content-Language?

Perhaps if you would send a SIP invitation with "Content-Language: Spanish"
to sip:[email-masked], you would prefer the proxy at somewhere.com
to route your call to a support representative who spoke spanish.

-David H. Brandt

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:19:30 -0400

What you are describing is actually something different still.
Accept-Language describes the language that may  be used for the content
in a response. This has nothing to do with the language an operator you
might be connected to is able to speak; for that, the caller preferences
extension is targeted (in fact, it has preferences for languages
spoken). This is also different from Content-Language, which describes
the language of the html or text in a SIP response. As Henning has
pointed out, the only real use for this is some kind of automated
translation systems.

I know its optional and not hard, but I would rather not add more stuff
to an ever-more-complex protocol unless there is a very well defined
need. Since there is realistically no useful application right now of
Content-Language, I'd rather not add it.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com