Subject: [SIP] New I-D available soon - Java enhanced SIP

From: S_S_Dinesh/India/[email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:10:03 +0530

Hi,

I've posted an Internet Draft to the internet draft archives which
describes
an extension to SIP to build on some of the strengths of Java, the JVM
concept and Java Mobile agents.

It is not intended to discuss this at Adelaide as it is an initial draft
but
I would be interested in getting feedback and comments from anybody who
takes a look at it.

The ID defines the extension to the SIP protocol and describes how it is
intended to:

- extend SIP messages to carry Java applets or Java applets plus their
state
and runtime contexts - in other words  Java mobile agents (or URLs to
either
the applet or the Java Mobile agent)

- to define a Java SIP API which will allow the Java applet or Java Mobile
Agent interact with the receiving host system and receiving SIP client

- to extend the SIP client so that the Java applet or Java Mobile Agent is
run before any other actions are taken on the receipt of a message by the
receiving host SIP client.

It also includes security measures to allow a client to be configured to
enable and disable certain actions between the JVM running the Java applet
or the Java mobile agent virtual machine running the Java Mobile Agent in
the message and the clients SIP client and host system.

Cheers,

Mick O'Doherty
Nortel Networks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

     Title          : Java enhanced SIP (JES)
     Author(s) : M. O'Doherty
     Filename  : draft-odoherty-sip-java-enhanced-00.txt
     Pages          : 9
     Date      : 08-Mar-00

This document defines an extension to the SIP [2] protocol to do a
number of things - to extend SIP messages to carry Java applets or
Java Mobile Agents, to define a Java SIP API which will allow the
Java applet or Java Mobile Agent to interact with the receiving
host system and to extend the SIP protocol client so that the Java
applet or Java Mobile Agent is run before any other actions are
taken on the receipt of a message by the receiving host SIP
client.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-odoherty-sip-java-enhanced-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
     "get draft-odoherty-sip-java-enhanced-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------