Subject: Re: [SIP] SIP->XML->SOAP

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:36:32 -0500 (CDT)

> I agree. I believe (SIP -> XML) -> SOAP(like)HTTP is unstoppable. OSP and
> IMPP require XML awareness in SIP devices, so the door has already been
> opened for XML convergence of the SIP domain. HTTP is the Internet
> Application Protocol. The problems of HTTP using TCP can be fixed with SCTP
> (I hope!). Of course this will take some time (12+ months).
> 
> Shouldn't this be the direction of SIP?
> Comments?
> 
> 
> Mike Fox

If you mean using XML as a common body format, I agree. If you mean SOAP,
I think this is better solved with HTTP. SOAP is an interesting alternative
for service execution in a SIP network. I don't think carrying it via SIP
is necessary or really buys you anything in this case. But it certainly
is a possibility.

--
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:45:04 +0100

> > Shouldn't this be the direction of SIP?

I fully agree with Jonathan about us being well past the time to
define the basic syntax of SIP and Henry's point of what we would
stand to lose if we did. However, no large scale disturbance of
the protocol is necessary just to carry an XML payload encoded by
the SOAP schema within a SIP message.
 
> is necessary or really buys you anything in this case. But it certainly

Within a SIP network how about something like this, say between a
SIP Proxy (shown as the client) and an Application Services
Broker (the server), for a trivial credit check service. Probably
not a brilliant example but it shows the sort of thing SOAP could
be used for, i.e. alleviating the need for lots of header/method
extensions to SIP by providing a well defined way for such info
to be encoded in the SOAP/XML payload. I have taken the liberty
of introducing a new SIP method, SERVICE, to carry the SOAP/XML
payload for simplicity, though even this might not be strictly
necessary.

C->S:

SERVICE sip:application_service_broker.ubiquity.net SIP/2.0
To: sip:application_service_broker.ubiquity.net 
From: sip:proxy.ubiquity.net
Call-ID:[email-masked]
CSeq: 1 SERVICE
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP proxy.ubiquity.net
Content-Type: text/xml
Content-Length: nnnn

<SOAP-ENV:Envelope 
  xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap-org/soap/envelope" 
  SOAPENV:encodingStyle=
  "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <m:GetCreditStatus xmlns:m="Some-Namespace-URI">
            <user>sip:[email-masked]</user>
        </m:GetCreditStatus>
    </SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

S->C:

SIP/2.0 200 OK
To: sip:application_service_broker.ubiquity.net 
From: sip:proxy.ubiquity.net
Call-ID:[email-masked]
CSeq: 1 SERVICE
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP proxy.ubiquity.net
Content-Type: text/xml
Content-Length: nnnn

<SOAP-ENV:Envelope 
  xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap-org/soap/envelope" 
  SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle=
  "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <m:GetCreditStatus xmlns:m="Some-Namespace-URI">
            <return>34.5</return>
        </m:GetCreditStatus>
    </SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

I could extend this into a short Internet Draft if there is any
interest in doing so.
Cheers,
Neil.
-- 
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK          
http://www.ubiquity.net

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:50:48 -0500

>I could extend this into a short Internet Draft

Would suggest to have such a draft and open it for discussion.

Thanks, Henry

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Neil Deason
>Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 3:45 AM
>To: Sean Olson
>Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [SIP] SIP->XML->SOAP
>
>
>Sean Olson wrote:
>>