Subject: [SIP] Handling multiple Transfer Target

From: Helpdesk MIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:21:14 -0400

From:  rafi
Hi,
 
           Is it possible for the transferor to inform the transferee
 to try more than one transfer target serially or simultaneously?
 Probably one way to do is to include more than one Transfer-to-Header
 in the TRANSFER request message because transferee take decision 
based on this field  (section 4.6 of draft
draft-sparks-sip-cc-transfer-00.txt).
 May be order of the of each name-addr / addr-spec in  Transfer-to-Header
implies 
their priority. Having more than one Transfer-to-Header header
is not allowed in the draft, draft-sparks-sip-cc-transfer-00.txt.
 
     Please note that contact field in the TRANSFER method is optional. So
my understanding is that only Transfer-to-Header is used to identify the
transfer target.

Thanks
Rafi AssadiH.M.
Silicon Automation Systems
Bangalore, INDIA

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 03:09:58 -0400

> Helpdesk MIS wrote:
>  May be order of the of each name-addr / addr-spec in
> Transfer-to-Header implies

I'm a bit reluctant to allow that. I'm not sure its needed. If you want
the transferred party to try one address, then the next, then the next,
etc., once each fails, you can do that without having multiple
transfer-tos. Logic in the transferring party can simply send multiple
transfer requests, one after a failure response from the previous.

So, having multiple addresses is only useful for parallel transfers, but
I doubt that this is useful. What happens if multiple acceptances come
back? Does the transferred party speak to all, or just one? Was the
TRANSFER successful if only some of the addresses in the transfer-to
header yield successful results? Lots of complexity for no real value. 

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:05:40 -0700

>header yield successful results? Lots of complexity for no real value.

Rafi,

If you want message-level efficiency instead of byte level efficiency, you 
could bundle multiple TRANSFER requests into a single UDP datagram (size 
permitting).

thanks,
-rohan