Subject: [SIP] Max-Forwards Query

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:42:33 +0100

Hello,

I'm a little confused as to the proxy behaviour implied by section
6.26 of the June bis.

In the case of OPTIONS, how should I (as a proxy) be responding?
 * Should I literally be responding as to _my_ Server capabilities?
   (I guess this can be useful with Supported, but I'm not sure
   how useful any of { Allow, Accept, Accept-Encoding,
   Accept-Language } are.)  Or is this perhaps dependent on
   the Request-URI being me (the proxy)?
 * Should I return the response I would potentially have sent
   (e.g., do a provisional lookup to see if I could have proxied
   it further; if not, 404)?
 * Should I guess what the desired server (UA?) can do? &:)

In the case of REGISTER, if the domain of the Request-URI
is foreign, what should I return?

Finally, if the request is neither OPTIONS nor REGISTER, I am
supposed to respond with 483.  If I do a lookup on the Request-URI,
and discover that the target resolves in my Registrar with an
action of "redirect", is it sensible to return a 3xx class?
I guess what I'm asking is if there's any need to mandate the 483;
aren't there some instances where a Proxy can return something
that's maybe a little bit more useful?  (Even a 404 could be said
to be useful...no?)

 - Jo.
-- 
  Jo Hornsby; IT Professional         --       mailto:[email-masked]
 Ubiquity Software Corporation        --         http://www.ubiquity.net/

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip