Subject: [SIP] Compact form for CSeq

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:51:57 -0500

Hi:

Any particular reason there isn't a compact form representation of
CSeq?  It is a mandatory parameter in all SIP requests.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
IN Architecture and Internet Software Group
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 263 Shuman Blvd, Rm 1A-418
Naperville, Illinois 60566  Voice: +1 630 224 0216 Fax: +1 630 713 0184

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:23:03 -0400

> CSeq?  It is a mandatory parameter in all SIP requests.

Mostly oversight, secondly because it would only save 3 bytes. Thirdly,
it's too late to change it...

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:38:09 -0400

"Vijay K. Gurbani" wrote:
> 
> Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
> >

> 
> > Thirdly, it's too late to change it...
> 
> Is it?  Older UAC's can still use the full form.  In any case, it is no
> big deal, really.  I was just looking for some orthogonality with other
> required headers (like To, From, Via) and since a big drive for compact
> form appears to be memory-constrained devices, CSeq, as a required
> header appeared to be left out.

This discussion appears to occur occasionally. We can't add
abbreviations for "old" headers since old UAs wouldn't understand the
compact form. (That they can't generate them is not the issue.)

If you do compression, CSeq is likely to be transformed to one byte or
less anyway.

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:31:24 -0500

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
> Mostly oversight, secondly because it would only save 3 bytes. 

That's what I thought, but since we have a compact form for To and Via 
(at a savings of 1 and 2 bytes respectively), I figured maybe CSeq 
should be included as well since it is a required header in all 
requests.

Thanks,

- vijay