Subject: [SIP] sequential/parallell forking

From: Loita Jahnsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:53:50 +0200

Hi,

   On what basis does the proxy decide whether to fork
   in parallell or use sequential forking?

   Regards,

      Loita Jahnsson

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: A Srinath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:05:50 +0530 (IST)

>    in parallell or use sequential forking?

I think that it is an implementation issue, i.e. each proxy has a fixed
way in which it handles all messages. If it is stateless then it has to be
sequential.  

Srinath A
Silicon Automation Systems
Bangalore, India.

---

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:05:24 +0100

> way in which it handles all messages. If it is stateless then it has to be

Stateless proxies do not fork (12.3.7). Sequential forking means 
issuing one request and then waiting for a final response before 
issuing the next request. This necessitates the retention of 
state information. As previously mentioned a stateful proxy may 
fork in parallel or sequentially based on internal configuration 
policies. Its decision could be influenced by callee 
preferences, for example through a CPL script, and/or caller 
preferences through the Request-Disposition header.

Cheers,
Neil.
-- 
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK          
http://www.ubiquity.net