Subject: [SIP] About Security

From: "yinshaohua" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 21:09:32 +0800

Hi:
    I have a problem regarding Security considerations in RFC2543. Now IETF
have many working groups in security area which consider the security in
lower layer.  so is the security considerations in RFC2543 redundant? In
other words, if having the security in Transport and Network layer, we do
not need the Security consideration of SIP. Am I correct?

ShaoHua Yin

2000/6/4

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Glenn Morrow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:11:46 -0500

Most applications that were invisaged by the pure end to end security
mecanisms did not have chains of proxies, firewalls and NATs as a
consideration. 

Certain applications that can be built using the SIP protocol will require
routing intelligence at the application level and a secure mechanism for hop
by hop traversal through application entities based upon more complex trust
relationships than simply end to end which is the basis for the transport
and network level security mechanisms.

So these SIP security mechanisms are not redudant. 

I would like to mention that:

You do not have to use them if you do not wish to in your applications.
You can use the end to end transport/network security mechanisms with SIP.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	yinshaohua [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, June 05, 2000 8:10 AM
> To:	sip
> Subject:	[SIP] About Security
> 
> Hi: