Subject: [SIP] RFC 2806

From: Gethin Liddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:06:46 +0100

Hi,

I have noticed an inconsistency between the rfc you have authored 
(RFC 2806 URL's for Telephone Calls) and the SIP RFC.

In Section 2.2, you reference the SIP RFC within the BNF for 
future-extension as follows:

future-extension      = ";" 1*(token-char) ["=" ((1*(token-char)
                        ["?" 1*(token-char)]) / quoted-string )]
                        ; See section 2.5.11 and [RFC2543]

My concern is over the quoted-string part of this.

We recently had a long discussion on the Sip Mailing list and 
concluded (among other things :) )that quoted strings should 
not be a part of the Sip-URL as it contravines the URI syntax 
outlined in RFC 2396 (See section 2.4.3 of RFC 2396
where it declares the <"> character as excluded).

In fact, the new SIP BNF currently stands at:

other-param = pname  | pname  =  pvalue
pname = 1*paramchar
pvalue = 1*paramchar
paramchar = param-unreserved | unreserved | escaped
param-unreserved =  /  |  :  |  @  |  &  |  +  |  $  |  , 

could you please let me know if you agree with this conclusion.

thanx for your time

gethin

-- 
Gethin Liddell
Ubiquity Software Corporation

http://www.ubiquity.net
mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip