Subject: [SIP] Distinctive ringing feature

From: Sekhar Banerjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:22:13 -0700

Hi,
	I would like to know if it would be possible to use SIP to instruct
the endpoints/UA's to provide different ringing sequences. If someone has
implemented this feature I would love to know more about it. I am talking
about the distinctive ringing feature as it is present in the PSTN network
today.

Thanks

Sekhar

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 00:35:02 -0400

Sekhar Banerjee wrote:
> the endpoints/UA's to provide different ringing sequences.

Distinctive ringing is generally implemented locally (and I know of at
least one implementation which does it locally). Conveying it in SIP
doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since SIP is a peer to peer protocol.
There is no notion of "the network" telling the phone how to ring. 

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Dave Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:50:52 -0400

Why can't the SIP user agent just figure it out for itself? The "PSTN
version" of this can just play a different audio file (or built-in ting
tone) based on the To: field or the Request-URI field in the Invite. More
sophisticated UAs can play different rings based on the From: field (say to
ring "outside" and "inside" calls differently, or just about anything it's
clever enough to figure out from the Invite message.

The possibilities are limitless once you decouple the user interface from
the protocol!

Dave.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Sekhar Banerjee
> Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 5:22 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: [SIP] Distinctive ringing feature
>
>
> Hi,