Subject: [SIP] Question on "action" parameter

From: Aseem Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:37:07 -0700

Hi All,
   I have a question about the usage of "action" parameter in REGISTER
request. According to the rfc2543bis [Sec 6.13]
"It indicates whether the client wishes that the server proxy or redirect 
future requests intended for the client"

Does this imply that a Network Server implementing a Registrar should
also be able to function both as a proxy and a redirect server ?

thanks,
aseem 

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:53:58 +0100

> also be able to function both as a proxy and a redirect server ?

Not necessarily.  If you look at the definition of a Registrar in
section 1.3, you'll see that:
    "A registrar is a server that accepts REGISTER requests.
     A registrar is typically co-located with a proxy or redirect
     server and MAY offer location services."

As you suggest, a Registrar is a logical role; the physical server
may actually also look like a stateful proxy, in which case it
will probably obey the action prescribed.

However, in other cases a Registrar may be all that the physical
server is.  In this case, more-than-likely it's talking to some
location server, which proxies/redirectservers also talk to.

HTH,

 - Jo.