Subject: [SIP] mobility support in SIP - basic questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:05:19 +0530

Hi,
I just went thru draft-itsumo-sip-mobility-req-01.txt and have the
following very basic Qs:

1. Is it correct to assume that no extensions are required in the SIP
protocol to support mobility applications ?
2. Are there any other drafts/papers that address SIP & mobility which I
need to see ?
3. Is there any doc that describes suggested SIP message exchanges b/w the
various entities in a mobile environment ? (ie something  more detailed wrt
message flows )

Thx
Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:00:03 +0300

Hi,

> protocol to support mobility applications ?

It might be a correct assumption depending on what it is understood by
mobility. If you want just a mobile SIP terminal in your research
network vanilla SIP is probably enough. 

Extensions might be needed if you are thinking of using a UMTS access,
or some services that are typically related to mobility, or being
interoperable with other mobile systems...

> 2. Are there any other drafts/papers that address SIP & mobility which I

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/papers/Wedl9908_Mobility.pdf

> various entities in a mobile environment ? (ie something  more detailed wrt

You might want to follow ongoing work in 3GPP.

Regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland