Subject: [SIP] non-audio/video with SIP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 08:32:21 +0200

As a newcomer to SIP, I'm wondering about possible applications other than
audio/video. Has SIP been used to initiate other forms of human-to-human
interactive sessions, such as application sharing or collaborative
web-surfing?

The mailing list archives suggest that telephony is the primary application
of SIP, but the SIP protocol specifications impose few constraints on the
mode of communication.

Joshua Fox
Surf and Call Network Services
VocalTec Communications Limited

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:48:52 -0400

Joshua,

One should certainly be able to use SIP for other types of conferences.  I
don't see any reason why the SDP could not be used to specify such protocols
as T.120, for example.

One could have a media description like this:
  m=application 1503 tcp t120

Of course, there's a few other details that need to be addressed, such as
registration of values with IANA and more formally specifying the exact
procedure, but there is certainly no reason why SIP could not be used to
initiate sessions that use other conferencing protocols.

Paul