Subject: [SIP] Informing end clients of a session teardown and need to rejoin.

From: Harleen Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:49:19 -0700

What is an acceptable way in accordance to the standard to notify an end 
terminal that only implements a user agent client (not a user agent server) 
that their session/call is about to be terminated and that they need to 
re-register at a new particular address?
In this case the client cannot receive the BYE message and based on the 
standard sending a 300 series message after a session is established is not 
acceptable.

In general, a mechanism is needed to asynchronously inform clients that the 
session they are currently participating in is about to be terminated and 
that they need to immediately rejoin at a new address.  

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:21:03 -0400

> standard sending a 300 series message after a session is established is not

Its hard to give an answer since you have not given any details on why
this is needed. Normally, the device itself is the entity that knows it
needs to re-register. If someone else knows a client needs to
re-register, it could simply perform that registration for it, as a
third party registration. I'm also not clear on why the device would be
a UAC only.

> that they need to immediately rejoin at a new address.

Can you please motivate that?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com