Subject: [SIP] a reminder on list usage

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 03:30:10 -0400

Folks,

I think it is time for another reminder on list usage guidelines.

The SIP wg mailing list is primarily to facilitate discussion around the
work items of the sip working group in IETF. Invariably, the list is
also the place where many people turn to for questions on SIP itself.
Thats OK, but time spent answering questions on the list is less time
advancing the working documents of the group. This time should be
minimized.

To that end, please, before you post your question, check the SIP FAQ:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/faq/cache/1.html

and the list archives:
http://lists.bell-labs.com/pipermail/sip/

to see if your question has already been addressed. Only if you do not
find an answer there should you go to the list for your question. 

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:57:22 +0300

Hi all,

I was wondering if there has been any work done on an LDAP schema for SIP.
If so, I would appreciate a pointer to some documentation.  If not, can
someone give me some implementation hits on what the DN would look like
(using the To: header?? ).  Also the attribute types used for storing the
contact sip-uri, and parameters such as action, q, etc.

Much appreciated
Hisham

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:12:22 -0400

No work that I know of. However, this would presumably just be an
extension of the usual 'Internet person' scheme (unless you want to use
LDAP as the backend for a registrar that stores more dynamic
reachability information). In most cases, an existing schema, with the
email address also serving as a SIP address, will be a good first
approximation.

We use LDAP in our sipd server and simply key on the email address in
the LDAD db or display name for local users.