Subject: [SIP] I-D ACTION:draft-thernelius-sip-firewall-solution-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 06:41:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SIP Firewall Solution
	Author(s)	: F. Thernelius
	Filename	: draft-thernelius-sip-firewall-solution-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 14-Jul-00
	
This document describes a solution that is able to handle SIP
signaling together with NAT enabled firewalls. The intent is to show
that existing firewalls do not have to be replaced by 'SIP enabled'
ones, instead they will only have to be reconfigured slightly.
The main feature of this solution is using MGCP from a session
control proxy to open/close holes in an RTP proxy which then enables
RTP traffic to flow between interconnected networks.
Worth noting is that this solution will not only work for SIP, it
will also work for other protocols, such as H.323 or Real Audio. It
does not even have to be RTP that is passed through the RTP proxy,
though this draft assumes that the RTP stream is accompanied by
RTCP.  The solution will work for any protocol that wishes to
open/close ports dynamically in the RTP proxy (maybe it should be
called Forwarding Engine in the general case).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thernelius-sip-firewall-solution-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-thernelius-sip-firewall-solution-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-thernelius-sip-firewall-solution-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.