Subject: [SIP] about Contact in REGISTER ...

From: Shail Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:04:01 -0400 (EDT)

This may be an implementation issue but I would like to elicit opinion/
comments about the applicability/correctness of the following REGISTER. 

REGISTER sip:domain.com
To: sip:[email-masked]
Contact: <sip:[email-masked];user=phone>

Should a registrar accept such registrations (host portion of Contact
SIP URL is the fqdn of the proxy let us assume) ??

I think the possible intent of the user is that he is reachable on the PSTN
network through this phone number - 9195551212.

If the proxy accepts such registrations - it should probably ensure that it
has a route/gateway which can terminate calls to 9195551212.

Comments ??

Thanks,
Shail

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:18:38 -0400

This is perfectly fine. Its useful for when you want to run a system
that separates users, phone numbers, and phones. So, for each user, you
have a mapping to a number, and then a number to a phone. Such a thing
has been discussed on the list, in fact.

Note that to properly support this, your proxy better support the new
loop detection mechanisms, which ensure that "spiraled" requests are not
detected as loops.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com