Subject: [SIP] DTMF and voice-over-packet

From: "Kevin Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:35:37 -0400

> I would add one point. We are in year 2000, not 1980. Engineering for DTMF
> is fine, but the next release of the "media server" in the above picture
> is likely to use voice recognition, not DTMF.

Although speech recognition may replace DTMF in some applications,
support for DTMF will continue to be required for decades to come.
In any environment where others can overhear you, do you really
want to speak your PIN or password into a phone?  I don't think so.

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Brijesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:00:23 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kevin Davis

Hi Kevin,

You are right.

Whenever, I dial into systems that give me choice of saying "one" or
pressing "1", guess what I do - I almost always press "1". I believe
that most people like to press "4""5""3""7" than say "four five three
seven", and would continue to do the same for years to come. It is not
just security - it is security plus convenience. I guess that DTMF
will be used even in year 2020.

Cheers,

--brijesh
Ennovate Networks Inc.

---

From: "Luan Dang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:21:55 -0700

> will be used even in year 2020.
Brijesh,

You are missing the bigger picture.  In the future you will not have
to say "one", "two"..., you can simply ask for what you want.  This is
the by product of current DTMF design.
On security, there are many different methods including speech
authentication and time sensitive pin code that would not matter if 
someone over heard you.
I sure hope we will not be using DTMF in year 2020.

-- 
Luan Dang              
Senior VP & CTO       mailto:[email-masked]
Vovida Networks, Inc.     voice:(408)383-1060
http://www.vovida.com       fax:(408)383-1062

---

From: "Jeff Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:56:50 -0700

Check out United Airlines automated flight info line for an example
application that does not use DTMF.  Take a test drive by calling
1-800-824-6200.

-Jeff
Dialogic, an Intel Company

From: Luan Dang [mailto:[email-masked]]

---

From: Anatoli Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:08:12 -0400

Jeff,

well, the this was rather an example of a bad interface - you can  still use
DTMF to get the flight info, but in some cases only after the system fails
with the voice response... We are talking convenience here, so even in 2020 we
will have some things which will be easier and faster to type (DTMF) than to
say...

Anatoli

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:33:45 -0400

> I sure hope we will not be using DTMF in year 2020.

In 2020, your universal communicator will recognize you by using its
camera to look into your eyes and do a retina scan (particularly if the
display is integrated into your glasses or contact lenses) or recognize
you when you place your finger on the gadget, via fingerprint
recognition.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: "Brijesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:52:37 -0400

Hi Jeff,

Actually, I  did test drive the United site this morning, and found
that while it could pleasantly do the job without using DTMF, it is
quite taxing to say "yes" or "no" repeatedly. At one step - I
deliberately answered wrongly, and the system did give me an option of
pressing "1" or saying "yes" or say "repeat a question".

Two DTMF applications that touch our lives every day are telephone
banking and voice message retrievals. Even if I could dial and say
give me balance of account number "two four five six" or "play the
fifth message from the top", I doubt that I can use a system without
DTMF based keying for long. Voice recognition hasn't done away the
need of typing on computers. I do have voice recognition software from
L & H on my PC, but after initial testing and experimentation a few
years ago I stopped using it, as I prefer to type than talk to my
computer. As a former architect of messaging switches that support
millions of subscribers and their mail boxes, I can say confidently
that for some applications, DTMF will be preferable even though voice
recognition may equally (or let us accept even better) do the job.
And, what about people who suffer from vocal tract defects or
temporary loss of voice or need to support multiple language user
interface? The DTMF keying provides the easiest escape route.

Cheers,

--brijesh
Ennovate Networks Inc.

> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jeff Mark
> Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 6:57 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 'Kevin Davis';
> [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [SIP] DTMF and voice-over-packet
>
>

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

> pressing "1" or saying "yes" or say "repeat a question".

   I hope that the Brave New World that Christian has
   in mind uses a natural language processors with
   loads of fuzzy logic rather than faithfully
   reproducing an IVR maze with speech!

 > I can say confidently

   This SHOULD be a false dilemma: the same thing
   happened with GUI's until regular users decided
   they like keyboard shortcuts. Of course, most GUI
   based programs are not as, shall we say, rich
   as their text counterparts in the rush to dumb
   them down for the unwashed masses.

	     Mike