Subject: [SIP] Proxy initiating a BYE

From: Dvir Oren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:45:13 +0300 (IDT)

How can I have my proxy initiate a BYE?  Assuming this is after the
call has been started.  There are many difficulties here.  First of
all, it needs to send BYE in two ways.  One way can be easy - simply
sending the BYE the same route that the latest ACK went.  However, how 
do I send a BYE on the reverse route?  The best thing I can come up
with is converting the Via entries to Route entries, and adding some
'user' parameter.

Is there any better way of doing this?  It looks very ugly at this
point.

-- 
Dvir Oren               <[email-masked]>
Lucid VON Ltd.     <http://www.lucidvon.com>
9 Saloniki St.,        Tel-Aviv       Israel
Tel:  +972 3 644 3038  Fax:  +972 3 644 3039

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:38:50 -0400

Dvir Oren wrote:
> 
> How can I have my proxy initiate a BYE? 

They can't. Proxies never initiate requests on their own. Its the
defining characteristic of a proxy.

> Assuming this is after the

Yes, don't do it with a proxy. If an entity in the middle of the network
is sending a BYE, it is not a proxy. It is likely some kind of
application server acting as a B2BUA. See the 3pcc draft for some ideas
on how this works.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-3pcc-00.txt

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com