Subject: [SIP] not very clear about sip encryption

From: "rahul pande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:21:53 GMT

hi all,
     i'm a novice among u all and have a query regarding the Encryption 
header. Its regarding the public key as to where it would be stored and how 
the individuals will convey there public keys to each other and which of the 
SIP protocol entities should act as the trustworthy one who signes the 
public key.
   In the rfc it is mentioned that a sip client will isssue a message to the 
server with encrypted with the others public key, i am puzzled as to how it 
will get to know the others public keys. Please send me information from the 
implementation point of view since i sincerely want to inclue this facility 
in my SIP stack. Waiting for a prompt reply.
       bye,
          rahul
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:27:57 -0400

> SIP protocol entities should act as the trustworthy one who signes the

The PKI is independent and outside of SIP. 

Since we use PGP for encryption, typically the keys would exist already
on the PGP keyring of the user, stored locally. Who signs a given key,
in PGP, is anyone - so long as you have a path of signatures to a
trusted entity.
 
> will get to know the others public keys.

For PGP, they are in the keyring stored locally.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com