Subject: [SIP] SIP AAA and QoS drafts

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:49:05 -0500

Three I-D's are related to both the SIP WG and the AAAarch RG:

<draft-johnston-sip-osp-token-00.txt>
is a new draft within the scope of the SIP WG
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-johnston-sip-osp-tok
en-00.txt

Abstract

   This draft proposes a new SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)
header
   OSP-Authorization-Token for carrying an OSP (Open Settlements
   Protocol) authorization token between domains.

<draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-01.txt>
gives the framework for the above,
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-sinnreich-sip-qos-os
p-01.txt

Abstract

   Commercial grade IP telephony requires linkage between call
setup,
   end-to-end QoS setup, interdomain authorization and
accounting. This
   draft considers the network model for inter-domain QoS for
access and
   transit networks, the service models and policy
implementation
   options. Also, interdomain authorization and accounting may
require
   the trust services of a clearinghouse, to which the local
policy
   server may outsource authorization for support for
inter-domain
   accounting.

   The draft defines two options for QoS support for telephony:
PSTN-
   style "QoS Assured" or Internet-style "QoS Enabled" service.
   Implementing the local policy or QoS deployment can also have
two
   options: The more usual policy "Pull Model" and the policy
"Push
   Model" that may be advantageous for large IP telephony
gateway
   deployments. The draft illustrates the various combinations
of QoS
   service and policy implementation for interdomain QoS with
   authorization and accounting.

   The inter-process communications between the SIP, SDP, RSVP
and OSP
   protocol engines is illustrated. Future work for SIP/SDP and
other
   extensions, QoS metric and policy is outlined to make
interdomain QoS
   for IP telephony possible.

 and

<AAA Usage for IP Telephony with QoS>
is for the AAAarch RG.
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-sinnreich-aaa-interd
omain-sip-qos-osp-00.txt

Abstract

   This draft specifies the AAA functions and message exchanges
for
   interdomain SIP telephony call setup with QoS. Usage
accounting is
   provided with clearing house support using the Open
Settlement
   Protocol.  Interdomain message exchanges use existing IETF
protocols.

   The use of existing protocols is however modeled in the
proposed AAA
   Architecture of the IETF AAAArch RG [1]. Though the approach
has been
   developed specifically for IP telephony, using the AAA
Architecture
   may allow a future AAA protocol to go beyond IP telephony to
serve
   alike for other applications.

The drafts will be published in the IETF archive and can be
found at present at

http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
MCI WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:53:10 -0700 (PDT)

> http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-sinnreich-aaa-interd
Henry,

The above implies that AAAarch RG has adopted OSP as their protocol. Is this
correct, or are you proposing OSP in that WG? I am sorry if I am a little out
of touch with the AAARG, but my cellular related activies pretty much deny
me from the joys to working on a third AAA protocol :) :)

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:20:08 -0500

>The above implies that AAAarch RG has adopted OSP as
>their protocol.

Pat,

This is not the case. Sorry if there is a miscommunication, we
have not said so in the draft. We said this is an illustration
using existing protocols, as a possible input for a future AAA
protocol.

Henry

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
>[email-masked]
>Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 9:53 AM
>To: Henry Sinnreich
>Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>Subject: [SIP] Re: SIP AAA and QoS drafts
>
>
>>

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

> using existing protocols, as a possible input for a future AAA

check. Thanks for the response.

PatC