Subject: RE: [SIP] non-audio/video with SIP

From: "Arnoud van Wijk (ETM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:44:16 +0200

The potential of SIP is that you can use it for anything that requires 2 or more parties/groups to contact each other.
IP telephony is indeed mostly worked on, but everything can be used with SIP.
For example Instant messaging, like ICQ. Or starting multiplay gaming sessions like Quake. Sending faxes over the internet can also be used with SIP to start the session.
SIP is also useful for mobility, to see where you are actually and what terminal/mobile phone/computer etc you are currently on. (via redirect servers/proxies).

I hope that this helps.

Arnoud van Wijk
_______________________________________________________________
ERICSSON TELECOMMUNICATIE BV
Arnoud van Wijk
Research & Development
ETM/BL/RE
Fax: +31-161 247569
_______________________________________________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2000 8:32 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] non-audio/video with SIP

As a newcomer to SIP, I'm wondering about possible applications other than
audio/video. Has SIP been used to initiate other forms of human-to-human
interactive sessions, such as application sharing or collaborative
web-surfing?

The mailing list archives suggest that telephony is the primary application
of SIP, but the SIP protocol specifications impose few constraints on the
mode of communication.

Joshua Fox
Surf and Call Network Services
VocalTec Communications Limited

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip