Subject: [SIP] SIP Usages

From: "Pathangi N Janardhanan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:17:53 +0530

Hi,

  Is there any document or paper which talks about the various
applications that
can be build for the SIP protocol.

  Some of the ones are

a) use of SIP for VoIP terminal
b) Use of SIP for MGC to MGC communication

The draft "draft-ietf-sip-isup-mime" talks of carrying ISUP/QSIG
messages in SIP messages,
where would such a need be felt. For tunneling ISUP/QSIG messages
would SIGTRAN not
be a better approach?

Thanks
Jana

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:21:07 -0400

> a) use of SIP for VoIP terminal

This is the primary application of SIP and well discussed in the
specification itself, in addition to almost any paper or presentation
you might find at:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip

> b) Use of SIP for MGC to MGC communication

See the various SIP-T drafts, of which you mention just one:

http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-zimmerer-sip-bcp-t-00.txt
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-zimmerer-sip-isup-mime-01.txt
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-watson-sip-isup-mime-00.txt
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-camarillo-sip-isup-bcp-00.txt

I also have some slides on this subject:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/vondev_intermgc_final.ppt

> where would such a need be felt. For tunneling ISUP/QSIG messages

Not if you want to derive call control from SIP itself, in order to
access features available from SIP, or talk to endpoints for which you
don't know apriori that they are another ss7 connected softswitch.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com