Subject: [SIP] Too much time for caching Final response ?

From: "rafi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:52:48 +0530

Hi,

     Consider the following paragraph in 
RFC2543 section 10.4.1 which says

" ..After server sends a final response, it
cannot be sure that the client has received
the response, and thus SHOULD cache result
for at least  10*T2  seconds..."

    Thus, when server sends a final response 
and client did not receive the final response
then server must receive a duplicate request
 from the client  within  T2 seconds. If we assume 
 that then new request of client is also lost then server
 can  expect  next request within 2*T2 seconds. Thus 
considering average case, is it always necessary 
for the server to cache the message  for 10*T2  seconds?.
Can't we go for a lower value?. We should also note that
 timers T1 and T2  are configurable.  When server waits for
 10*T2 second, value of T2 is the timer value of client. There
is no way for the server to access this timer value of client.

Regards
Rafi Assadi H.M.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 01:51:07 -0400

> rafi wrote:
>  from the client  within  T2 seconds. 

Not if that request is lost. 10 represents a number slightly
larger than the number of restransmissions of requests
the client would make before giving up.

> We should also note that

No big deal. This is a cache. You can always reconstruct the response.

-JOnathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip