Subject: RE: [SIP] summary: DTMF and voice-over-packet

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:44:31 -0700

> From: Kevin Davis [mailto:[email-masked]]
> ...
> 4) Today, the telephone keypad interface is linked to DTMF.
>   If or when this relationship should change is another
>   matter.  If it should change, it is still important to
>   maintain compatibility with a huge installed base of DTMF.

Nobody is proposing to cut support for DTMF. The argument is that, out of
two ways to support DTMF, the out of band solutions that include DTMF
translations in the signalling channel don't carry over to voice
recognition, while the in band solutions that establish a specific RTP leg
to the DTMF handler also work for voice recognition. Ergo, we should
consider that the "DTMF in RTP" solution is adequate and stop worrying about
the addition of DTMF verbs, or parameters, in SIP itself.

Christian Huitema 

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:44:45 -0400

> the addition of DTMF verbs, or parameters, in SIP itself.

Exactly. Well said.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com