Subject: [SIP] Differant URL's in headers

From: A Srinath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:24:25 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
	I have a query regarding URLs of other schemes in the headers. 

1. How does a user agent client send an INVITE to a TO conatianing, say a
mailto URL or even an HTTP URL. What will be the Request-URI then. 

 Srinath A
 Silicon Automation Systems       Phone: 5276100, 5276108 extn 4220
 #1309, 10th Main, HAL III Stage   
 Bangalore 560 008, India                    

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:10:30 +0100

> 1. How does a user agent client send an INVITE to a TO conatianing,
> say a mailto URL or even an HTTP URL. What will be the Request-URI
> then. 

Well, I would typically expect the Request-URI to (initially) be the
same as the To, as specified by Section 11.1.  However, I think it is
reasonable to say that for schemes such as mailto:, the intent
is not obvious -- are you intending to set up a mail session; what
does this mean?

In the end, it's going to require User Agents that understand the
semantics of these non-SIP URL URIs, and perhaps any proxies
along the path to understand, too (proxies are required to return
400 if they don't understand the scheme in the Request-URI).  If
you want "normal" SIP-routing on an unknown SIP "network" with
a non-SIP URI, then the UAs/edge-proxies are going to have to do
something clever like encoding the "real" Request-URI into a
SIP URL-compatible form, or perhaps just rely on the To being
honoured (completely reasonable for a UAS), and set the Request-URI
to some sort of "pseudo" SIP URL that will make it likely the
Request gets to the right place.

I think section 4.3 (in the bis) has the best explanation of typical
behaviour; of course, once outsida SIP URLs, things are a little
more atypical.

Cheers,

 - Jo.

---

From: Manoj Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:19:16 -0400

Srinath

Once outside SIP URLs, things have not been defined in detail so far.
Currenlty, only SIP URLs and Tel (telephony based) URLs are some of
the accepted semantics that are being worked out.

Any implementations /testbeds where sip and non-sip urls are being
tested together ?

thanks
-manoj

--
Manoj Bhatia                           |        |         |
[email-masked]                       |       :|:       :|:
7025 Kit Creek Road, P.O. Box 14987    |     :|||||:   :|||||:
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709       |   .:|||||||:.:|||||||:.
919-392-3873      fax: 919-392-6801    |  C i s c o S y s t e m s