Subject: [SIP] OK with no ACK

From: Dvir Oren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:14:56 +0300 (IDT)

I think that a situation where the calle sent OK, but doesn't receive
ACK for an extended period of time should be handled.  I'm
implementing a timeout on OK replies, that will kill the call if no
ACK was received after a defined period of time.

My question is, should I send a CANCEL or a BYE?

-- 
Dvir Oren               <[email-masked]>
Lucid VON Ltd.     <http://www.lucidvon.com>
9 Saloniki St.,        Tel-Aviv       Israel
Tel:  +972 3 644 3038  Fax:  +972 3 644 3039

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:32:52 -0500

> My question is, should I send a CANCEL or a BYE?

I would send a CANCEL since the call has not been established until the
ACK from the caller gets to the callee.  That is the behavior of my
proxy.  A BYE (to me at least) conveys that a session was successfully
established and is now being torn down.

Regards,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
IN Architecture and Internet Software Group
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 263 Shuman Blvd, Rm 1A-418
Naperville, Illinois 60566  Voice: +1 630 224 0216 Fax: +1 630 713 0184

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:06:35 -0400

Dvir:

My understanding is , only requests are CANCELLED (i.e only the caller ,
since it sent an INVITE, can send a CANCEL)

The gracefuly way  for the callee to end the call will be to send a BYE,
if it does not receive an ACK, after all of its retransmissions of 200
OK response.

Hope that helps
sunitha