Subject: [SIP] NPR report on new phone services

From: "David Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:54:09 -0400

Morning Edition
June 28, 2000
http://search.npr.org/cf/cmn/cmnpd01fm.cfm?PrgDate=06/28/2000&PrgID=3

New Phone Services Vie the Traditional
NPR's Jack Speer reports that wireless and Internet phone services are
pressing traditional long-distance service rates downwards. Major
long-distance providers may have to lower their rates to compete with
companies that offer long-distance at a flat rate, or even for free. (5:14)
14.4 kbps       http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/me/20000628.me.07.ram
28.8 kbps       http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/me/20000628.me.07.rmm
Requires the RealAudio Player   http://www.npr.org/inside/realaudio.html

The report explains that data is surpassing voice, and that long distance
prices are moving toward zero, but average U.S. family total spending on
communications increased from $325 in 1980 to $830 in 1998.  Includes
commentary on AT&T business shifts and recording of free telephone
conversation over Dialpad.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip