Subject: [SIP] TCP Invite

From: "Mauricio Bolaсos Arturo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:10:25 -0500

Hi Everyone!

I have a SIP User Agent with TCP connection. The UAC send an INVITE request,
as it works over TCP, it doesn't need to retransmit requests and at this
moment it's waiting for a response. How much time should  be waiting for a
response?? What happen if this response never arrive to the UAC ?
I should use the INVITE expire header for this purpose ?

thanks a lot

Mauricio Bolanos Arturo
ITEC - TELECOM
Bogota Colombia

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 01:03:14 -0400

Mauricio BolaÓos Arturo wrote:
> response?? 

Same as if it were UDP. If no 1xx is received, its 32s, I believe. If
you get a 1xx, its implementation dependent.

>What happen if this response never arrive to the UAC ?

What happens if you call someone on the phone and no one answers? At
some point you hang up. Same here.

> I should use the INVITE expire header for this purpose ?

You could; you can also CANCEL the request when you decide to give up.
Both will actually achieve the same result.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com