Subject: [SIP] WWW-Authenticate grammar

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:08:47 +0530 (IST)

I have a query about the grammar for WWW-Authenticate header.

The grammar for WWW-Authenticate header in rfc 2543 (sec 6.42)
references rfc 2068 (sec 14.46) for the syntax.

According to rfc 2068, the grammar is
     WWW-Authenticate   = "WWW-Authenticate" ":" 1#challenge
     challenge          = auth-scheme 1*SP realm *( "," auth-param )
                                                     ^---- COMMA USED TO 
                                                     MARK PARAMS

But, rfc 2543 gives an example of WWW-Authenticate header grammar
when PGP is used (sec 15.1.1)

        WWW-Authenticate =  "WWW-Authenticate" ":" "pgp" pgp-challenge
        pgp-challenge    =  * (";" pgp-params ) 
                                ^---- SEMICOLON USED TO MARK PARAMS

        pgp-params       =  realm | pgp-version | pgp-algorithm | nonce

The grammars appear slightly different (notably, the use of the 
semi-colon to begin the parameters).

My doubt is: shouldn't the grammar for WWW-Authenticate-with-PGP be
derived from 2068's generic grammar. If so, how does one explain the
semi-colon?

I'm probably reading too much into this, but I would like to hear
any comments about it all the same.

Thanks.

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:06:46 +0100

I think I remember it being said that the slides from the 48th
IETF, 
based on the trawl through this list's archive for open issues,
were 
going to be made available somewhere. Is this still the plan as
I couldn't find them at the SIP WG Supplemental Home Page:-

	http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/meets/IETF48/slides/

Cheers,
Neil.
-- 
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK         
http://www.ubiquity.net

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:54:20 -0400

This is a known problem, already fixed in the bis draft. We use rfc2068
syntax.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com