Subject: Re: [SIP] syntax .. a clarification

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:38:42 -0500 (CDT)

> on a personal note, I am trying to develop very small footprint SIP stacks.
> It is also important for developers like me and biggs that the sip stack be
> prevented from growing so big that we will realistically miss out on large
> chunks of functionality. the large size of vovida stack is an indicator of
> the way implementations are going.

I think this is a gross overgeneralization. Furthermore, I think you'll 
find that stacks such as Vovida's and others provide a great
deal more functionality above and beyond what a bare bones SIP stack might.
If you're application does not require this level of functionality, you
may save something by using a smaller stack. If however your application
does require this level of functionality, you will probably find this
approach appealing. I do not think you will find a one-size-fits-all
SIP stack just as you won't find a one-size-fits-all HTTP server.

That being said, I do believe it is possible to build a compact SIP stack.
It is just a question of what tradeoffs you are willing to make.

--
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip