Subject: RE: [SIP] Comment on draft-moyer-sip-appliances-framework-00.txt

From: "Fox, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 14:38:48 -0700

The temptation to extend or use the "message" capability of SIP may become a
problem for all SIP devices to represent the message to the user. I would
think it far more compatible to start a SIP session and initiate a RTP audio
stream to deliver the audio message "FYI the house is too cold, the windows
are open, and it is snowing inside." when you are contacted via a SIP PSTN
gateway at your hotel in sunny Jamaica. And to deliver the message as text
to your pager, if instead you were hiking in the Rockies. It seems that with
SDP this is already worked out by the session UAs, where as the message
scheme requires the destination UA to provide "message translation" so that
the message can be presented to the user by the interface device. I think
the logic of session initiation consistently extends to initiating device
control and RPC protocols with SIP, rather than putting these into SIP.

My $0000.02

Mike Fox

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip