Subject: [SIP] Instant Messaging....

From: "rahul pande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:41:34 GMT

hello,
     I was wondering that once the TCP transport port is registered under 
IANA will we still require the MESSAGE header(presently in the drafts stage) 
since a line such as :
         m=text <port> tcp plain
     with other a= attributes proposed for tcp will solve the problem for 
instant messaging.
     Thanking you all,
        rahul
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:32:06 -0400

You could do this kind of thing today with the text over RTP
specification.

Anyway, this is really a different service than IM. Namely:

1. its a streaming text service; data is sent character at a time rather
than in groups of messages
2. IM can have store and forward services implemented with them; this is
much harder if not impossible with a streaming text service.
3. streaming text requires explicit creation and termination of a
session. Messagin, by its nature, can be done without such setup.

I have some slides on this subject at:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/sipimpp_sip2k.ppt

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:13:20 -0400

> than in groups of messages

Not necessarily; RFC 2793 allows to send whole blocks of text, so a
"line mode" could be supported either way.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs