Subject: [SIP] Re: [SIPFORUM] multiple useragents

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:37:00 -0400

The sip list is the appropriate venue for questions on sip itself.

"Arnoud van Wijk (ETM)" wrote:
> 
> I am still having one problem with the following:
> How will it work , when you REGISTER at a registrar, using 10 or so UAs?
> Say on my computer 1 IM program using SIP, 1 Phoneprogram, and 1 client for homevents
controlling and other programs and a news push client like Pointcast/
stock info, and a
streaming movies provider showing "the Matrix"  etc etc. It may be
exaggerated to say 10
right now, BUT now on the regular internet..I am already using 6
different programs all the
time. If I were having all via SIP..I will have 6?? entries at the
registrar. 

Yes. They could all be registered as being contact addresses for the
same name, or different names, depending on who these devices represent.

>And imagine then..I close (accidentally ) the phoneprogram. What happens?..will all SIP
INVITE messages >try to connect with all other UAs? (which will all fail
ofcourse due
invalid preferences).

If you register them all to the same name, yes.

> 
> Also added problem will be the following scenario:
> 1 SIP phone and 1 telephony program on the computer. and an SIP INVITE for an IP
phonecall comes in. Where does it go? I cannot imagine that AND the
IPtelephony program AND
the SIP phone will ring simultaneously 

Why not? Again, if these are registered as representing the same person,
sure, they might both ring.

>(userpreferences can solve it <make IP-telephony program on computer the 1rst choice and
if not >present..then use SIP-phone>, but since they are SIP header
extensions and NOT
planned to be IETF standard >some may not support it). Both the phone
and the IP-telephony
program may use different QoS requirements >and thus different media
protocols (video
possible on the UA on the computer and audio only on the >SIP-phone).

The proxy can always do a sequential search. That does not require any
extensions.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip