Subject: [SIP] Transaction definition

From: Blanchard Jacqueline <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:33:04 +0200

Hi,

		Am I right if I consider that in case of an INVITE sent by a User Agent Client
		the transaction is from INVITE until ACK (instead of INVITE/200OK as defined
		in the RFC2543) ?

		Thanks,
		J. Blanchard

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:35:53 -0400

>                 the transaction is from INVITE until ACK (instead of INVITE/200OK as defined

I would say yes. 

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:23:10 -0500

Blanchard Jacqueline wrote:
> 
>                 Hi,
> 
>                 Am I right if I consider that in case of an INVITE 
> sent by a User Agent Client the transaction is from INVITE until ACK 
> (instead of INVITE/200OK as defined in the RFC2543) ?
[...]

ACK is a special request used ONLY for an INVITE request.  However, for 
the purpose of a transaction, ACK comprises a transaction of its own.  
The ACK request following the INVITE is not considered part of the 
transaction since it may traverse a different set of hosts to get to the 
callee (or the UAS) than the INVITE did.

Regards,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
Internet Software Group/Intelligent Network and Instant Messaging
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 263 Shuman Blvd, Rm 1A-413
Naperville, Illinois 60566  Voice: +1 630 224 0216 Fax: +1 630 713 0184