Subject: [SIP] Registrations not sharing the same Action

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:02:34 +0100

Just a thought but is there a real need for the restriction 
that all active registrations MUST share the same Action?
I would expect a Proxy co-located with a Registrar to want to
proxy to registrations however in the case of non SIP URIs 
this may not be possible. But you don't want it to become a 
redirect server just to handle a single mailto:, or whatever,
registered amongst a bunch of SIP URLs. 

So why not allow a Proxy/Registrar to accept a mixture of actions 
in registrations if it wants to. A SIP server could proxy to 
those contacts registered with a proxy action and then if it 
gets no 2xx response it could return a 3xx, perhaps making use of
the new Contacts-Tried header, along with any contacts 
registered with a redirect action (incl non SIP URIs).
Of course if a server doesn't accept a mix of actions it can 
still respond 409 Conflict.

Cheers,
Neil.
-- 
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK          
http://www.ubiquity.net

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 02:56:42 -0400

> still respond 409 Conflict.

We considered this, and came to the conclusion that it was quickly
approaching specialized call processing logic that is best defined
explicitly through CPL or something like that. There are many other
possible interpretations to a mix of proxy and redirect URLs...

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com