Subject: RE: [SIP] Change in SIP URL syntax

From: "Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:43:14 -0700

I agree. I don't believe that the @ should just be escaped when it causes an
ambiguity (as determined by the generating SIP implementation) but rather
should always be escaped when it appears in the parameters or URL headers.
Simpler is better, right ? I think this is the point we didn't get concrete
resolution on last time.
 
Robert.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ajay Chitturi [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 1:53 AM
To: Henning Schulzrinne; Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert
Cc: Gethin Liddell; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [SIP] Change in SIP URL syntax

After going through the earlier discussion pointed to by Gethin, 
my understanding is that "@" should be removed from param-unreserved 
and hnv-unreserved on page 18. 

Is this correct ? 

Thanks 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Henning Schulzrinne [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 6:32 AM 
To: Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert 
Cc: 'Gethin Liddell'; Ajay Chitturi; [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [SIP] Change in SIP URL syntax 

The current version of the text (to be -01) says 

... The set of characters not reserved in the RFC 2806 description 
of \header{telephone-subscriber} contains a number of characters in 
various syntax elements that need to be escaped when used in SIP URLs, 
for example quotation marks (\%22), hash (\%23), colon (\%3a), at-sign 
(\%40) and the ``unwise'' characters, i.e., punctuation of \%5b and 
above. 

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:53:15 -0400

The current version reads:

  hname           = 1*( hnv-unreserved | unreserved | escaped )
  hvalue          = *( hnv-unreserved | unreserved | escaped )
  hnv-unreserved  = "[" | "]" | "/" | "?" | ":" | "+" | "$"

Thus, @ MUST be escaped (if it doesn't have syntax significance). It is
also listed as a separator.