Subject: [SIP] Is it possible with SIP????

From: "rahul pande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:54:50 GMT

hi all,
    A strong doubt has cropped in my mind relating to multicast 
conferencing, since most corporate disable udp packets fully, Is there 
anyone who is making use of the SIP stack to do conferencing on the internet 
presently or they are all using it for their LANs and waiting for RTP over 
TCP and multicasting also over tcp. Please give me the details.
       Thanking you all,
                 rahul
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Howard Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 09:39:17 -0700

I haven't heard of any corporations "disabling udp packets fully" unless you
mean disabling general UDP access from the outside through a corporate or other
Firewall. I do know that several ISPs support internal multicast backbones
using varied pricing schemes, though I'm not aware of any that support
inter-ISP multicast. That's usually addressed either by NSP's to different
degrees or build-your-own backbone, neither of which is cheap.

Howard Hart
ipDialog, Inc.

---

From: Thomas Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 07:46:22 -0400

> TCP and multicasting also over tcp. Please give me the details.

Hello;

A little secret is that many corporate firewalls that "block UDP traffic" keep open a range of ports for
UDP traffic from RealNetworks. They do this because of complaints from their
users if they can't get Real. If SIP also blocks out a range of ports, and has a good security record,
and is in frequent use, this will probably not be much of a problem.

                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624
Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : [email-masked]     [email-masked]

http://www.buzzwaves.com            http://www.on-the-i.com