Subject: [SIP] Why Via hiding but no RR hiding ??

From: Bertil Engelholm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:29:15 +0200

Hello again,

I just wonder why there is a possibility to hide the Via headers
but not the Record-Route headers ? 

I can see the need for hiding the Via headers so the callee can't
see which way the call took. But the Record-Route together with
Contact basically gives the same information so why aren't there
any Record-Route hiding ??

/Bertil

-- 
Bertil Engelholm
AXE Research and Development        voice : +46 8 727 3499
SIP Security                        Fax   : +46 8 647 8276
S-126 25 Stockholm Sweden           E-mail:
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:19:27 +0100

> any Record-Route hiding ??

This was discussed on the SIP List around the middle of July.
I think the conclusion was that it could be done, but it was
horrendous. &:)

Look for the Subject:
"[SIP] A question about Stateful Proxies, Session Timers, and the
Contact field"

 - Jo.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:27:11 -0400

> "[SIP] A question about Stateful Proxies, Session Timers, and the

In general, I suspect that Via hiding may turn out to be only marginally
useful. If you want true anonymity, hiding a few SIP servers in the path
isn't very helpful. You'll probably end up with a back-to-back UA that
also hides your media IP address and any other incriminating
identifiers, such as Contacts, network identifiers in SDP and call-ids.
Without that, the danger of information leakage is too great to use it
for anything where something of value (your life, your whistleblower
premium, your protection from telemarketers,  ...) depends on it. For
just caller identity anonymity, you don't need Via hiding.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: David Daiker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

I would dispute that it is significantly different than via hiding.

See our ID "SIP Record-Route/Route Hiding"

regards,

david

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:14:14 +0100

> See our ID "SIP Record-Route/Route Hiding"

Have you got a URL for this ID?  I'm having trouble finding it...

 - Jo.