Subject: [SIP] On IM sessions

From: "Srinath A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:20:10 +0530

Hi,
	I have a few suggestions on IM sessions. 

	1. There was the question of session invitation,i.e. how
to invite someone to an IM session?

	I feel that a special invitation is not required here, as 
the first MESSAGE request will itself be an invitation to the 
other party. If that party wishes to refuse the call then they 
respond with a 403 Forbidden response. 

	2. The question of a multiparty IM session was raised. 
IMO this can be done using the folowing ways. 

	A. Sending party sends separate MESSAGE requests to each
	member. But the message may contain a header(To be defined)
	that tells the recipients the list of participants to whom 
	the message was sent so that they may also send messages to 
	all the others. 

	B. Sending party sends it to a special server that does the 
	distribution. Here the server immediately responds with a 	
	201 response, and separately sends it to the parties. But 
	if a party responds with a 403 then further messages of the
	same session or Call ID are not forwarded to that party. 

	C. Multicast requests. 

There is this question of closing a session still remaining. 
Or is the session assumed to be closed when the party just 
closes a window. 

Please comment. I also hope this is the list to which this message 
is to be sent. 

Srinath A
Silicon Automation Systems       
#1309, 10th Main, HAL III Stage
Bangalore 560 008, India 
Phone:+91-80-5276100, 5276108 extn 4220
Company Home: www.sasi.com 
Home: http://www.geocities.com/srinath_tvpm

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip