Subject: [SIP] When to use Stateful & Stateless Proxy

From: Ford Trueman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 05:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

I have one question to ask?
When to use stateful proxy, is 
there any principles?
  What's more, I want to know especially
in telecommunication when to use stateful 
& stateless? Who can give me some examples?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://mail.yahoo.com/

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:59:43 -0400

> & stateless? Who can give me some examples?

THis is not a specification  thing; its purely up to each server.

Generally, stateless will mean faster operation, but fewer services and
capabilities. Stateless is usually better for things like fault
tolerance, hot standbys and load balancing.

Stateful is needed for many services, like CFNA, as a simple example. As
such, a stateful proxy is usually slower, and the existence of state can
complicate failover and load balancing.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com