Subject: [SIP] Telephone-subscriber registration.

From: "Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:49:56 -0700

Hi all,

Is there any standard method or has anyone thought about a way to register a
range of telephone-subscribers?

A SIP-PSTN gateway is not always aware of the exact presence of all its PSTN
endpoints. It may merely know that the trunk connecting to a range of phone
numbers is active. For instance, 555-4000 to 555-4999. It is impractical to
register 1000 endpoints individually but there still seems to be good cause
to want to register all these possible addresses with a SIP proxy.

The most straight forward solution would seem to be to devise a method for
SIP-PSTN gateways to register using a tel: URL [RFC2806] in the To header
that specified a wildcard/pattern-match telephone-subscriber (currently not
supported). Suggestions? Adding a wildcard digit and/or new parameters.

eg. sip:555-4xxx;matchrange=0-79@gateway;user=tel-pattern 
	to specify 555-4000 to 555-4079 (just as a trivial example). The
user=tel-pattern ensures that the tel: is not processed as standard
telephone-subscriber.

Any other ideas or comments ?

This problem has probably been solved in H.323 Gatekeeper registrations but
I am not very au fait with the mechanisms of that protocol. Perhaps someone
else can comment.

Regards,

Robert.

-- My opinions are my own. I tried selling them once but everybody
	seems to already have one. -- 

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:00:10 +0300

Hi,

You might want to take a look at:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rs-trip-gw-00.txt

it should answer your question

Thanks
Hisham Khartabil

---

From: "rafi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:17:37 +0530

Hi,

    Assuming we can use wildcard cahracter  to register a
    set of user,  what would be the response when not all users
    were successfuly registered ?

Thanks
Rafi Assadi H M

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:30:01 -0400

rafi wrote:
>     set of user,  

Umm, no. Bad assumption. There is no such thing.

what would be the response when not all users
>     were successfuly registered ?

There is no point in worrying about error conditions for imaginary
protocol features.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com