Subject: [SIP] A universal problem with the t= line.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:19:41 +0530

Folks,
Although this is an SDP problem, it seems the interpretation of it by
*many* SIP implementors of the t= line in SDP is taken differently from
what the SDP grammar *explicitly* states.

According to the grammar:

t= <start time> <stop>

start- time  = time | "0"

time = POS-DIGIT 9*(DIGIT)

If my interpretation is correct, the above specifies at least a 10 digit t=
value (or 0)

SDP afaik, is known not to be lenient (unlike SIP headers) and hence any
divergence from SDP grammar should be an error.

My question is: Is the grammar above of SDP (and its interpretation of it)
correct , and do the sip implementors need to
be aware not to stuff in < 10 digit values in t= field (except 0)

Regds
Arjun

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 00:41:28 -0400

I believe SIP should abide by the SDP grammar. Period. If SDP says its
zero or nine-or-more characters, so be it.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:34:51 -0400

time =                POS-DIGIT 9*(DIGIT)
                         ;sufficient for 2 more centuries

meaning it's really ten digits.

> > be aware not to stuff in < 10 digit values in t= field (except 0)

Unless you are scheduling events into the past (before 1931), you'd
never need fewer than 10 digits.