Subject: [SIP] via-Received params field

From: sreenivasa reddy D <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:41:20 +0100

Hi
In draft 00(fig :10 )   via-received was ( via-received = "received"  "=" host[:port] ) But in draft
01 it has been changed to via-received = "received"  "=" host .
 Does this mean port will not be changed.

Sreenivasa Reddy .D

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Gethin Liddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:20:08 +0100

>  Does this mean port will not be changed.

When using the received parameter the port will be taken from the via
value itself not the parameter.  this is because it is not guarenteed
(or even likely) that the port the message was sent from is the same as
the port it will receive on.

-- 
Gethin Liddell
Ubiquity Software Corporation

http://www.ubiquity.net
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:03:31 -0400

The port the packet was received on is immaterial, so including it makes
no sense. (The response is always sent back to the port indicated
explicitly in the
'main' Via part, not the source port of the request.) Whether the
'received' part then has much use in practice beyond a "warning, NAT
encountered, return trip may not work" is not clear to me.