Subject: [SIP] [Fwd: notes from the IETF SIP & SDP]

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 23:46:54 -0400

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

Subject: notes from the IETF SIP & SDP
From: Paul Sijben <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 02:50:17 +0200

I have presented the TIPHON architecture and QoS work at a fairly high-level
way to the SIP working group and the MMUSIC WG.

Both presentations can be found at:
  http://pages.hotbot.com/edu/sijben/

The SIP presentation resulted in no feedback during the meeting but some
positive feedback off-line.

The SDP presentation did go very bad. I got shot down (by Jonathan Rosenberg,
Henning Shulzerinne, Christian Huitema and others.) over the basic premise
that signaling is related to the media so that the signaling path can say
sensible things about the QoS.
This was deemed against the philosophy of the Internet. Quote: "No internet I
have seen works like this". It was claimed that the opposite is true because
the signaling and the media go over completely different paths.

The attackers seemed to see in the presentation that TIPHON wants to do a
link-by-link replacement of the switched networks... Saying that this is not
the case had no effect.

A reply along the lines of that QoS implies commercial relationships and than
media gateways impact QoS and are controlled by the applications and hence
that the applications have impact on QoS did also not sway the die-hards.
(Someone actually claimed that the MG is not controlled by the application
domain ?????)

After the session was over someone working on MPEG-4 said that he heard
something else in my presentation namely exactly what they are have been
doing! So I pointed him to our documents because he described the same method
we have been exploring in WG5 but they need the parameter values. I told him
to look at 5003 and 5009. So the session was not a complete loss and we are
not the only ones looking at this.

Paul
--
Paul Sijben              Tel:+31 356874774
Lucent Technologies      Message:+31 208702874
Forward Looking Work     Fax: +31 208702874
Huizen, The Netherlands  http://voip.nl.lucent.com/~sijben (internal)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Mail archive for TIPHON  can be browsed at the following url :

             http://www.etsi.org/TIPHON/mailing_lists.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------