Subject: [SIP] Defaults for PGP Authentication parameters

From: "Phil Hoffer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:35:15 +0100

Hi,

The current bis draft states the following in section 15.1 PGP
Authentication Scheme ....

   "Implementations supporting this scheme MUST implement the
   definitions and default algorithms of RFC 2440 [45] and MAY implement
   the older version, based upon PGP 2.6, described in RFC 1991 [42]."

and the following in section 15.1.1 ....

"pgp-micalgorithm:

    The value of this parameter indicates the PGP
    message integrity check (MIC) to be used to produce the
    signature. If this parameter is not present, it is assumed
    to be "md5".  The currently defined values are "md5" for
    the MD5 checksum, and "sha1" for the SHA.1 algorithm.

pgp-pubalgorithm:

    The value of this parameter indicates the PGP
    public-key algorithm to be used for signing and encrypting
    messages. If this parameter is not present, it is assumed
    to be "rsa" for the RSA algorithm. The value "dsa" defines
    the DSS/DH algorithm."

The default algorithms defined in RFC2440 are ...

Public Key Algorithms

    DSA = MUST
    RSA = SHOULD

Hash Algorithms

    SHA-1 = MUST
    MD5    = SHOULD

Therefore, would it be better to specify DSA & SHA-1 as the defaults for the
respective SIP parameters?

What do you think?

Regards
Phil

http://www.ubiquity.net

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:07:29 -0400

> respective SIP parameters?

Makes sense to me; clarified.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs