Subject: [SIP] Registering non-SIP URIs

From: James Undery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:17:08 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
	I've just been re-reading the latest draft and have noted an
important part of registering non-SIP URIs is only mentioned in passing, 
section 6.14 the paragraph about 'REGISTER requests' says

"Other [non-SIP] URI schemes have no expiration times."

This would be good to mention in section 4.2.6 along with the rest of the
REGISTER details.

James Undery 

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:32:42 +0200

While we're on the topic, I'm curious about the statement in this section
"If neither of these mechanisms is used, SIP URIs are assumed to expire in
one hour"

Why the arbitrary "one hour"? Shouldn't this be up to the registrar and
conveyed in the
Expires: header in the 200 OK response?

--
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:06:16 -0400

Added at the beginning of the REGISTER section:

A client uses the {\REGISTER} method to bind the address listed in    
the \header{To} header field with a SIP server to one or more URIs where
the client can be reached.  These URIs may use any schema, not
limited    
to SIP.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: James Undery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:47:01 +0000 (GMT)

> the client can be reached.  These URIs may use any schema, not

The point that I thought was missing is that SIP URIs have a default
expiration of one hour, whereas, non-SIP URIs don't expire by default
(according to section 6.14).

HTH

James Undery