Subject: Re: [SIP] JAIN SIP Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:59:25 +0530

> The JAIN SIP API does not permit applications to have direct access to
> transactions. An application is given a transaction id as a reference by
the
> JainSipProvider, and it can use the reference to invoke send methods on
the
> JainSipProvider - but the Provider has control over transactions and may
throw
> an exception if an application attempts to do something it doesn't like.

Chris, at this point , another question comes to mind:
What if my application does not need to keep transaction state ? If I were
to write
a JAIN SIP wrapper on a core stack, I dont mind forming a transaction id in
JainSipProvider, but does it also need me to correlate the transaction with
other
future messages ? This may not be in the scope of my application, which may
not be
interested in even keeping transaction state.

Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Chris Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:37:05 +0100

Arjun,

Response included below...

Regards,
Chris

> interested in even keeping transaction state.

The transaction id generated by the JainSipProvider is simply a convenience for
applications when sending Acks, Cancels and Responses. There is no reason why
an application can't use the generic sendRequest method (which doesn't take a
transaction id) if it doesn't wish to keep track of the transaction ids. The
JainSipProvider implementation must allow for the possibility that an
application might do this.