Subject: [SIP] JAIN SIP Specification

From: Chris Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:51:40 +0100

Dear SIP WG,

The JAIN SIP Specification is available from today for Public Review on
the Java website. It can be found at
http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr032/index.html.

The Public Review will close on 28th November.

Regards,
Chris Haris

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Bobby Sardana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:00:55 -0700

Hello Chris:

After reading the JAIN SIP Specification, I have the following comments:

a. The specification [Section 3.3.2] JAIN SIP Provider Requirements -
implies that the Provider interface interfaces with a vendor specific
SIP stack. The SIP stack, as I understand, is nothing more than the header
parsing and construction -- which is already included in the JAIN SIP jar
file. So how can the provider, or a sample provider interface be
implemented using the included SIP stack?

In simplistic terms, how can a SIP Redirect Server be implemented using the
SipJainProviider interface? This part is not clear from the specification.

Regards,

[email-masked]

---

From: "M. Ranganathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:59:35 -0400

Hello!

I looked at the  JAIN SIP specification and I had a similar question.
According to what I understand,  JAIN is attempting to build an event oriented
mapping interface between a SIP stack and service code. The  classes in the
jar file are not a sip stack but are to be mapped by the stack to its own
structures.   If this is the wrong interpretation, some clarification would be
appreciated by the author(s).   Incidentally I thought  some of these classes
might better be defined as interfaces rather than classes but Chris has
clarified that this design choice has historical precedent in JAIN.

What I think might be useful in clearing up some of this confusion is to
include a scenario of a service being called (and make explicit reference to
the provided jar file as appropriate).

Ranga.

--
M.Ranganathan
NIST Advanced Networking Technologies Group,
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8920, Gaithersburg, MD 20899.
Tel: 301 975 3664 Fax: 301 590 0932

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÒ ùšŠX§‚X¬µ"þX¬¶ÏÛzYÿ•¦ìýÊ&†ÛiÿÿåŠËlý·¥—ùZnÏÜ¢oæj)fjåŠËbú?