Subject: [SIP] Potential definitions required

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:52:25 +0100

Looking at the bis draft from a readability viewpoint I considered that a
number of additional definitions at the start of the document would improve
things. Could I therefore make a request that definitions are drafted for
the following:

stateful proxy (server)
stateless proxy (server)
method
header

Regarding the first two, the first text stating what a proxy server is in
regard to stateful and stateless occurs in 12.3. The terms have been used in
requirements a number of times considerably before we get to this point.
Also, I vaguely remember a discussion on the list with regard to these
terms, and as a result I am no longer convinced that 12.3 contains the full
story regarding these terms, thus making it more important that we try and
draft definitions.

As regards method, it some places it apparently gets used as a synonym for
message, i.e. a protocol data unit with a particular syntactic structure,
and in other places it seems to carry more meaning, i.e. the above, plus the
associated procedures for sending and receiving the protocol data unit. I
have found no place in the text that seems to contain any words on the
meaning.

Given that we need to define method, it would also appear appropriate to
define header as well.

Any views or proposals?

regards

Keith Drage

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip