Subject: [SIP] Question on draft-ietf-sip-srv-00.txt

From: "Agarwal, Aseem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:45:26 -0700

This draft requires a stateless proxy to select the same SRV record for all
requests (original request + retransmissions) in a SIP transaction. 

IMO, this behavior should be expected from a stateful proxy as well. Is
there 
a specific reason for mandating this behavior only for stateless proxies ?
Even a stateful proxy may transmit a request retransmission to a different
server, resulting in state synch requirements at all the servers with same
priority in the SRV records. Comments ?

Pls correct the expiry date of the draft.

-aseem

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:50:06 -0400

> priority in the SRV records. Comments ?

Yes, this is general behavior. Clarified.

> Pls correct the expiry date of the draft.

Done.

Thanks.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: James Undery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:17:26 +0000 (GMT)

> Yes, this is general behavior. Clarified.

I've just thought of something that might be worth mentioning in the 
draft. Stateless proxies will need to ensure the SRV RRs are ordered
identically within the priority classes each time they do a SRV lookup as
you can't be sure the RRs will be in the same order in two consecutive
lookups. (e.g. try two DNS lookups on www.microsoft.com and you will see
the answer RRs ordering change).

James Undery