Subject: Re: [SIP] IPv6 addresses in SIP

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Sep 2000 13:38:47 +0300

In message <[email-masked]> "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> writes:
>Subject:  [SIP] IPv6 addresses in SIP

>     >3) token is re-defined like this:

>>token       = "[" IPv6address "]" | real-token
>>real-token  =  1*< any CHAR  except CTL's  or separators>
>>separators  =  "(" | ")" | "<" | ">" | "@" |
>               "," | ";" | ":" | "\" | <"> |
>               "/" | "[" | "]" | "?" | "=" |
>               "{" | "}" | SP | HT
>>This, of course, may break some old implementations. YMMV.

>the issue raised here is valid....however breaking the existing definition
>of token doesn't seem to be a very good idea as they would affect a number
>of other headers where this definition is not really required. Token
>definitiion is  a rather generic one and used widely across all headers.

        I first considered also restricting IPv6 addresses only to
        parameters, too. However, 'token' is used in many places where a
        domain name/IP address might be used. Perhaps we should use
        generic-token there and define generic token to include IPv6
        addresses?

                                        Pekka

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip