Subject: [SIP] choosing a SIP URL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:37:47 +0200

I've been studying SIP, and have a question about the SIP URL's. If this is
a FAQ, please let me know, but I have not seen this addressed in the
avaialble documentation including the RFC 2543 section 2.

One of the great challenges of IP telephony is identifying the User. The IP
Address, of course, won't do, since a User  can switch machines and a
machine can switch IP addresses (with dynamically assigned addresses). Yet
we'd like to make it possible for a casual user to download an IP telephony
client and place a call anonymously (as you might from a pay phone),
without entering an email address or other unique identifier.

One solution is to create a Universally Unique Identifier, using
randomization (perhaps with other data tossed in to assure uniqueness). You
would  produce a SIP URL such as [email-masked], where
xyz.com is a domain name from the company providing the software

Another solution is to simply require the user to register with identifying
information.

How has this been solved in the past?

Sincerely,

Joshua Fox

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 07:19:21 -0500

>register with identifying

See
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-johnston-sip-call-fl
ows-00.txt

Henry

Henry Sinnreich
MCI WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
>[email-masked]
>Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 7:38 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [SIP] choosing a SIP URL
>
>