Subject: [SIP] JAIN-SIP vs. SIP Servlets.

From: "M. Ranganathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:10:13 -0400

Hello!

Some time ago,  I read a few drafts that talked about a Servlet API for
SIP. It would appear that JAIN and its event architecture can provide
for all the functionality  talked about in  these drafts (making these
essentially obsolete).  Am I correct in this interpretation?

Thank you  in advance for your replies.

--
M.Ranganathan
NIST Advanced Networking Technologies Group,
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8920, Gaithersburg, MD 20899.
Tel: 301 975 3664 Fax: 301 590 0932

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÒ ùšŠX§‚X¬µ"þX¬¶ÏÛzYÿ•¦ìýÊ&†ÛiÿÿåŠËlý·¥—ùZnÏÜ¢oæj)fjåŠËbú?

---

From: Chris Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:36:53 +0100

Ranga,

Yes, it is certainly true that the JAIN SIP API can provide all the
functionality that the SIP Servlet API does. This could be viewed as you
mentioned - the JAIN SIP API making the SIP Servlet API obsolete, but the
converse could be argued too - if it weren't for the fact that the SIP
Servlet API doesn't allow client applications.

However the SIP Servlet API does mention that a complementary client API
will be developed to address this issue, so the possibility of  two
competing Java SIP API's certainly exists...Had the client API been
available previously, there may not have been a JAIN SIP API at all - it
may have just been the Java SIP API - after all, if a JAIN service wished
to incorporate email or web pages, would not use a JAIN HTTP or JAIN SMTP
API? :)

Chris

"M. Ranganathan" wrote:

> Hƒæj)bž b²Ôˆ>X¬¶ÆÞ–YZnÇ(šm§ÿåŠËlmée•¦ìr‰¿™¨¥™©ÿ–+-ŠwèþÈ©