Subject: [SIP] Scope of the Call-ID in bis-02

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:22:53 -0600

In section 4.2.1 and 6.12, there is a suggestion (first MAY then
SHOULD) that the client would silently accept calls which use the same
Call-ID, or at least logically associate them.  There has been
suggestions made on this list about using this to solve conferencing
related problems.

  However, I believe that is no implementation consensus about how this
might work, and I think that implying full-mesh style conferencing or
"replaces" style behavior overloads the Call-ID.

  Can these (confusing) references be removed?  Do others feel strongly?

  I personaly would rather see the Replaces header be revived for use in
an INVITE if the user wishes to negotiate a call handoff (attended
transfer) using REFER.  For full-mesh conferencing, or other logical
association tricks, again I see some other header being appropiate
(Associate?).  At least then we are being much more clear as to the
intended behavior.

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip