Subject: [SIP] Preferences in SUBSCRIBE

From: "Sriram Parameswar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:06:04 -0600

Hi,

From reading the I-D's on Presence and Caller Preferences, I think it would
be neat to allow watchers to send in their preferences in the SUBSCRIBE. For
example 'NOTIFY me only when John Doe comes on-line on their Mobile'.

This could be achieved if using the mobility-param [mobility = "mobile"] in
an Accept-Contact header in the SUBSCRIBE.

However the I-D does not cover the SUBSCRIBE method - may I ask that it be
included? Jonathan/Henning your comments are appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Sriram Parameswar
Nortel Networks

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:17:22 -0500

-----Original Message-----
>From: Sriram Parameswar [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 10:06 AM
>To: [email-masked]'
>Subject: [SIP] Preferences in SUBSCRIBE
>
>
>Hi, 
>
be neat to 
>allow watchers to send in their preferences in the SUBSCRIBE. For example
'NOTIFY me only 
>when John Doe comes on-line on their Mobile'.

I agree such a thing is quite a good service. We had actually worked a
little on creating an XML data format to describe such things, carried in
the body of subscribe.

>This could be achieved if using the mobility-param [mobility = "mobile"] in
an Accept-
>Contact header in the SUBSCRIBE. 

No. Caller preferences is for a very specific, well-defined thing.
Accept-Contact and Reject-Contact are solely for the purpose of filtering
the URLs to which messages are delivered. They certainly can be used in
SUBSCRIBE, but the meaning there is the same as INVITE - they govern the
contacts to which the request is forwarded or redirected.

The preferences you are asking for are different. You want to modify the
conditions under which a presence agent delivers a NOTIFY request. That is
not at all the same semantic. Even syntactically, preferences about
subscriptions is far more complex that can be expressed in the limited
syntax of caller preferences. I need to express requirements on update
frequency, types of devices, specific states I want to know about, etc.
These cannot be represented in the current syntax.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip