Subject: [SIP] Use of notes within the RFC bis draft

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:52:00 +0100

This comment is about the documentation, rather than one of any direct
technical import.

I note throughout the bis draft various areas of indented text, which I
assume to be the equivalent of notes in documents produced by other
standards bodies. Is this true?

Some of these paragraphs begin with the word "Note:" and some do not. Does
this imply any difference in status of that text.

There are additionally a large number of sentences throughout the text that
commence: "Note that...". Are these also notes.

As there is a need for other standards organisations to reference the
resultant RFCs with a clear understanding of the difference between
normative (i.e. requirements and definitions) and informative material (i.e.
notes), I would like to propose that this distinction is made absolutely
clear. In particular, I propose:

-	add the word "Note:" at the start of all indented text.
-	make all sentences starting with the words "Note that" into indented
text comencing with the word "Note:".

There will be some exceptions to this, as I detect the appearance of the
keywords MUST, MAY and so on within some of this text. Some of these appear
to me to be inappropriate, but others are obviously requirements, and should
not therefore be notes. I can supply some examples to discuss individually
if the editors decide to go forward with this.

regards

Keith Drage

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip