Subject: [SIP] Question about UA behaviour to 407 response

From: Deepak Pant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:20:49 -0500 (CDT)

rfc2543bis-02 says (Pg 93 , Sec 14.1 ) "When a UAC resubmits a request
with its credentials after receiving a 401 or 407 response, it MUST
increment the CSeq header field as it would normally do when sending
updated request."

However 407 is a final response and all the SIP proxy should expect 
after sending a 407 (in response to INVITE) is an ACK and a new 
INVITE message with a new CallID. The sip call flows draft is more
in line with the reasoning.

Does the explanation in the rfc conflict the call flows?

For the authentication for REGISTER messages, if a SIP proxy accepts
a registration message from a UA on behalf of a third party, how 
should the UA be authenticated. Should the registration message be
forwarded to the home proxy and whatever challenge is issued by the
home proxy proxied back to the UA or should the SIP proxy use an
alternate mechanism as well.

Thanks
-Deepak

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:06:39 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Deepak Pant [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 5:21 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] Question about UA behaviour to 407 response
> 
> 

I suppose either way (totally new Call-ID, or same Call-ID, higher CSeq)
will work. 

I think the latter (higher CSeq), is better, since it provides a useful way
of correlating the two at the proxy, if the proxy wants to make use of that
(of course it can't depend on it).

> alternate mechanism as well.

A proxy is a proxy. If it forwards a request downstream, it forwards the
responses back upstream. If the proxy wishes to authenticate the client
itself, it would use proxy-authentication.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com