Subject: [SIP] REGISTER with non-SIP URL

From: William Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:09:27 -0500 (EST)

Prasanna <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>     Can somebody please suggest what may be response for a REGISTER request
> with a non-SIP URL, say a TEL URL?
>     Should it be a 400 response or a 405 response?

How about 200?

There are two URLs in the register request - the address-of-record
whose registration is to created or updated (the To: header), and
the place future non-REGISTER requests should be directed (the
Contact: header).

A tel: URL in the To: header is asking for a registration to be
created or updated with that address, which admittedly may end up
with less than global scope.

A tel: URL in the Contact: header is asking for future requests
to be directed to a PSTN gateway.

A tel: URL in both may be nearly useless, but there seems little
reason to reject it.  The sender obviously thought there was some
point in having such an entry at the registrar.

Bill Marshall
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip