Subject: RE: [SIP] Ringback draft

From: "Culpepper, Bert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:48:19 -0600

I think the ability to specify the ringback tone characteristics is useful
and expect some to find it desirable.  The (somewhat subtle) aspect of the
draft that I feel is also useful is that the device on the edge of the SIP
network (towards the caller) is responsible for providing ringback tone.  In
the PSTN, the switch at the edge of the network (towards the callee)
provides ringback.  In a PSTN-IP network where the call terminates in the IP
network, the device responsible for providing ringback is the ingress
gateway to the IP network IMO.  I've found that which device provides
ringback is unclear to some when discussing PSTN-IP interworking.

I realize the aspect I described is not the focus of your draft but the
topic does interest me :)

Regards,
Bert

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam B. Roach [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2000 11:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] Ringback draft

I now have an I-D out telling how to describe an appropriate
ringback tone to be played to a caller for a SIP-initiated
voice call; it does so by including new headers in the
"180 Ringing" message. I currently plan to progress this as a 
non-workgroup informational draft, but am open to other
suggestions. Let me know if this topic is of interest to you. 
Comments solicited.

Abstract

     This document describes a mechanism by which an appropriate
     ringback tone may be played to the calling party when the called
     party's device is alerting. It is written specifcally to address
     the case where the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is used to
     initiate voice-over-IP calls. It also lists ringback
     characteristics for several countries.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roach-voip-ringtone-00.txt

-- 
Adam Roach, Ericsson Inc. |  Ph: +1 972 583 7594 | 1010 E. Arapaho, MS
L-04
[email-masked]   | Fax: +1 972 669 0154 | Richardson, TX
75081 USA

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip