Subject: RE: [SIP] Registration Question

From: "Moloney, Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:20:08 -0500

>  The outbound proxy is configured directly on the SIP end device, or it
>can receive it from DHCP.  There is no way to signal using REGISTER or
>whatever that the proxy should be used as an outbound proxy, nor would
>it make sense to provide such signalling.

I think it does make sense in certain instances. For example, the outbound
proxy server is getting overloaded, is going down for scheduled
maintainence, or an additional server is being added. Rather than needing to
go to each SIP end device, the proxy server would be able to redirect the
end device.

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:28:28 -0600

Moloney, Bill ([email-masked]):

> >  The outbound proxy is configured directly on the SIP end device, or
> >  it can receive it from DHCP.  There is no way to signal using
> >  REGISTER or whatever that the proxy should be used as an outbound
> >  proxy, nor would it make sense to provide such signalling.
> 
> I think it does make sense in certain instances. For example, the
> outbound proxy server is getting overloaded, is going down for
> scheduled maintainence, or an additional server is being added. Rather
> than needing to go to each SIP end device, the proxy server would be
> able to redirect the end device.

  Your outbound proxy should be a DNS name, not an IP address.  So, just
change the DNS entry.

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]