Subject: [SIP] multiple location

From: "Sanjiv Deshpande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:35:44 -0500

Q:
INVITE Sent by UAC got forked and reached two UAS1 and UAS2 ,  the UAC decided
to talk to UAS1. Is it possible that UAS2 (Assuming it is a client also) can
make a call to someone else.

What I wanted to know is, A user can be contacted at multiple location if one of
the location answers a CALL is it possible for somebody else on behalf of that
user make CALLS or receive CALLS....

Thanks
Sanjiv.

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:59:06 -0500

SIP is just a protocol. Thats it. Its a tool. If you want device A to call
device B, it tells you how to do that. Like all tools, you can use them in
many different ways. When you buy a hammer in Home Depot, does it tell you
whether to use your left hand or right? How many fingers to grip with it?
The size of the nails to use with it? Of course not. 

However, for some reason that I cannot fathom, many people seem to believe
the opposite is true for protocols; that is, protocols need to insist on how
syntax and semantics AND how they are applied to solve real world problems.
This approach just results in systems that are useful to no one. Would you
buy a hammer that said "for nails of length 1 inch only?" I doubt it.

So, to be specific, SIP doesn't tell you how to do any of the following:

1. the color of the phones that use SIP
2. the GUI for SIP calls
3. how you build a network of proxy servers
4. whether a phone can make calls while its in a call
5. qualifications for human beings to make use of SIP softphones (i.e., IQ
levels, height, or what have you).
6. how many simultaneous calls the device can be in

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sanjiv Deshpande [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 11:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] multiple location
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Q:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:48:15 +0200

This is quite true that we should distinguish between the protocol and the
use made of it.

On the other hand, the sticker on the ladder does say "don't use this
ladder as scaffolding" because some uses for tools are inappropriate, even
if they are possible. \\For example, we can do some weird hacks with HTTP
or TLS to tunnel through firewalls, but people who are getting started with
these protocols vshould be informed that these are not the ideal uses of
the protocol. (The wonderful SIP-firewall-tunneling draft gets the balance
right, by in explaining a clever hack for SIP-over-TLS to port 443, while
also noting that this is an awful hack.)