Subject: [SIP] New ID for peer-to-peer 3pcc

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:46:58 -0800

Hi,

I just submitted an ID on a usage of REFER and presence for 3pcc which
doesn't require you to keep call state or stay in the signalling path.
Until it appears in the archive it can be found here:

	ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/rmahy/draft-mahy-sip-peer-3pcc-00.txt

Using SIP for Peer-to-Peer Third-Party Call Control

Abstract

The 3rd party call control draft demonstrates a usage of SIP with some of
the enhancements of RFC2543bis.  This usage requires that a 3pcc controller
remain in the signaling path and maintain state for the duration of the
call.  While this is necessary in certain situations (ex: protocol
translation: H.323 to SIP, SIP to RTSP, HTTP to SIP), it is sub-optimal in
pure SIP environments.  This draft demonstrates a usage of the REFER method
and SIP for presence  to allow authorized peers to participate in call control.

Note that much of the functionality described in PHONECTL can be duplicated
using the proposed usage.

Also note that this is not an extension of SIP, merely a usage of SIP and
existing extensions.

Comments are welcome.
thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip