Subject: [SIP] Re: Additional registries for SIP (RFC 2543)

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 15:59:37 -0500

IANA wrote:
> 
> Dear Henning,
> 
> We apologize for the delay.  We have been in touch with the ADs and
> IANA will set up this new registry.
> 
> Would it be possible to get an initial file of values so that we can
> set this up.  It would also be helpful to have a small paragraph
> of text for the beginning of the file.  Will you be able to provide
> this?

The current list is at http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/headers.txt

> 
> In your IANA considerations section, you will need to include the procedure
> for deciding when and how a new one can be registered.

A suggestion is 

SIP Header field names are registered with IANA.  They do not require
working group or working group chair review, but {\SHOULD} be documented
in an RFC or Internet draft.  Headers {\SHOULDNOT} use the \header{X-}
prefix notation and {\MUSTNOT} duplicate the names of headers used by 
SMTP or HTTP unless the syntax is a compatible superset and the 
semantics are similar.  Some common and widely used header fields {\MAY}
be assigned one-letter compact forms (Section~\ref{sec:compact}).
Compact forms can only be assigned after SIP working group review.  In  
the absence of this working group, a designated expert.

> 
> Let me know if you have any questions with the above.

Thanks for your help.

> Thank you,
> Michelle Schipper
> IANA Administrator

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip