Subject: [SIP] REFER for Remote Device Control

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:47:02 -0600

The sip-peer-3pcc draft discusses providing PHONECTL functionality
using REFER.

  To send a BYE on a specific call leg, the draft uses a Refer-To URI
of: <sip:[email-masked];method=BYE?i=[email-masked]>

  To indicate a request to REGISTER as a specific user, the draft
uses: <sip:[email-masked];method=REGISTER>

  I strongly believe that this sort of behavior is outside the scope of
REFER.  The meaning of the request is hidden in an obfuscated URI, which
cannot provide enough information to identify which call-leg is being
referenced. [1]

  I am rewriting the PHONECTL draft, splitting the commands into new
methods.  For example, LOGIN (ask the UA to REGISTER) and HANGUP (ask
the UA to leave a session).  This keeps the intent clear, and helps the
UA maintain a seperate authentication model for these device control
extensions.

  I hope to have a draft ready this week, but would be willing to set up
a mailing list or something if there was interest in this work.

[1] The original INVITE may have resulted in two calls being setup, and
    no mechanism of determining the tags used is available.  As well,
    you cannot specify which tags to use in a URI.

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip