Subject: [SIP] draft-rosenberg-sip-app-components-00.txt

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:41:21 +0200

Hi,

In the draft
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-sip-app-components-00.txt

you propose to invoke text to speech services using an INVITE with two
"m" sections. One sendonly for the text and the other recvonly for the
speech (audio).

I see a TSS server as a particular case of a transcoder, that receives
media in one format (e.g. GSM) and converts it to another format (e.g.
PCM).

And I see a transcoder as a particular case of a conference until (MCU).
It just takes media from one participant and sends it to the other
(adjusting the format).

Since conference units are usually INVITEd using one INVITE per
conference member, I think transcoder services should be invoked in the
same way (with two INVITEs) as it is described in section 3 of:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-camarillo-3pcc-qos-00.txt

Thus, I would invoke TSS services in the same way. I would send an
INVITE with an "m"section consisting of audio and a second INVITE with
an "m" section consisting of text. The TSS server would related both
INVITEs using the Request-URI (as a conference unit does).

I believe this would be a more general way of invoking such a service.

Opinions?

A minor typo: in section 9 Peter Mataga seems to share Jonathan's email
address.

Regards,

Gonzalo
-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 31 18
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip