Subject: [SIP] SIP provisioning

From: Chris Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:51:24 +0000

Manish,

Thank you for your query. It is a very good question indeed. The
rational behind only having a get method for ListeningPoints is that the
scope JAIN SIP API does not include provisioning - the API assumes the
SIP stack has been set up previously by some other means. Currently this
implies the use of proprietary methods for setting/adding
ListeningPoints.

However there is a JMX-based JAIN OAM API (which currently handles SS7
stacks). The plan is to extend or provide a similar OAM API for the JAIN
IP protocols. Admittedly OAM is a lot less complicated for SIP stacks
than SS7 stacks, and there is a very strong case for just including the
addListeningPoint method to the JainSipStack interface, but this was
deemed inconsistent with other JAIN protocol API's.

Note, personally I would prefer leaving the OAM API in the SS7 domain,
and adding the necessary methods (only one in SIP!) to the Stack objects
in IP protocol APIs.

Regards,
Chris Harris

Subject: Seeking clarification on JainSipStack Interface
Date: 13 Nov 2000 04:00:04 -0000
From: "Manish S. Jalan" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Interface JainSipStack defines methods to create providers, get
an array of Listening  points available to the stack, etc.
The default listening point may be a combination localhost and
standard sip port 5060. Now one may want to have additional
listening points(on some other ports). Hence not only should the
JainSipStack define a get method for the ListeningPoints list,
but should also have one to add to the list of ListeningPoints.
I may be wrong somewhere, as definitely there must have been some
rational behind, only defining a get method, and not a add
method. Kindly, clarify the rational. But if I am correct, then
please include addListeningPoint() method in the JainSipStack
interface.

Regards,
-Manish S. Jalan

_____________________________________________________
Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff
Bol at
http://bol.rediff.com

Participate in crazy auctions at
http://auctions.rediff.com/auctions/

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip