Subject: RE: [SIP] More Torture Test Messages Available

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:22:05 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henning G. Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> > Test case 41:
> > 
> > I'd argue that this message should be rejected with a 400. 
>
>    The version of an HTTP message is indicated by an 
> HTTP-Version field
>    in the first line of the message.
> 
>        HTTP-Version   = "HTTP" "/" 1*DIGIT "." 1*DIGIT
> 
>    Note that the major and minor numbers MUST be treated as separate
>    integers and that each MAY be incremented higher than a 
> single digit.

Sounds fine except that I don't think this is ever referred to in 2543bis.
In fact, the grammar for SIP-Version explicitly disables these tricks:

SIP-Version="SIP/2.0"

Note that SIP-Version is a literal. I'm not sure what the value of allowing
"SIP/02.00" is, but if that's the intention, it should probably be mentioned
in the spec. BTW, the change would not be backwards compatible; if it's
made, it should probably be mentioned that leading zeros should not be
generated.

> Wait, if protocol is defined as, say
> 
> protocol-token = "FOO" | "BAR"
> 
> it would be CI. This is consistent with the use in RFC 2616, where all
> tokens are defined as CI (such as character-set, content-coding,
> transfer-coding, type, subtype, etc.

Absolutely. I was just being picky about the grammar of Via headers: it
allows protocol name to be something other than SIP, namely, it allows it to
be a token. token is case-sensitive, which implies that any protocol name
but SIP would be case-sensitive there. Maybe it's easier to just remove
token from protocol-name production in Via grammar (after all, what's the
meaning of sending a SIP message that is not SIP?)

---
Igor Slepchin

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:07:13 -0500

Igor Slepchin wrote:

> made, it should probably be mentioned that leading zeros should not be

I agree that adding leading zeros gains nothing. Given the low
likelihood of version changes, it doesn't seem worth treating it as
anything other than a string. For consistency, I will add the CI
description:

The string is case-insensitive, but implementations {\MUST} use    
upper-case. 
\motivation{Unlike HTTP/1.1, SIP treats the version number as a literal
string.  In practice, this should make no difference.}

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs