Subject: [SIP] 305 response, what for!

From: "Emami-Nouri, Mohsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:33:18 -0800

Hi dear all,
I was trying to figure out what the 305 response gives additional info. to
the requester, what the 301 or 302 already does not. RFC explains that 305
means the requested resource should be accessed through a proxy, can not I
achieve the same by using 301 or 302?

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:10:26 -0600

Emami-Nouri, Mohsen ([email-masked]):

> I was trying to figure out what the 305 response gives additional
> info. to the requester, what the 301 or 302 already does not. RFC
> explains that 305 means the requested resource should be accessed
> through a proxy, can not I achieve the same by using 301 or 302?

  The wording implies that if you get a 305 you should send only that
specific request through the proxy.  Future requests within the call-leg
should instead be directed at the old Contact address.

  I have doubts about mid-call redirects actually working at all, and I
suspect that most implementations handle all 3xx responses identically,
except maybe updating numbers when a 301 is received.

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]