Subject: [SIP] Handling of unknown SIP methods and headers

From: "Agarwal, Aseem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 16:47:36 -0800

Hi, 
    Pardon me if this has already been discussed earlier, but can
somebody verify the following behavior :

1. Unknown method
   Stateless Proxy :           Forward transparently
   Trans - Stateful proxy:     Forward if possible, else 405/501  
   Call - stateful proxy:      Forward if possible, else 405/501
   Standalone Registrar server:Return 405/501 
   Redirect server:            Return 405/501
   UAS:                        Return 405/501

   The decision to send 405 or 501 is dependent upon whether the
   received message is recognized or not. If the method is recognized
   and supported but not allowed, 405 is the appropriate response, else
   501 should be sent.

2. Unknown SIP header(s)
   Stateless Proxy :           Forward transparently
   Trans - Stateful proxy:     Ignore and if possible forward  
   Call - stateful proxy:      Ignore and if possible forward
   Standalone Registrar server:Ignore
   Redirect server:            Ignore
   UAS:                        Ignore

-regards,
aseem

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 00:09:15 -0600

> somebody verify the following behavior :

  You are almost correct.  I think your table is slightly misleading.

>    Call - stateful proxy:      Forward if possible, else 405/501

  A proxy should proxy the request.  Only if the request is destined for
the proxy (the Request-URI was 'sip:my.proxy.com') should the proxy
return a 501.

>    Redirect server:            Return 405/501

  Again, if the request is destined for a user of the redirect server,
the server should happily return a 300-class response to the unknown
request.  It should only return a 501 if the request was destined for
the redirect server (the Request-URI was 'sip:my.redirect.com') and the
server didn't understand it.

>    Call - stateful proxy:      Ignore and if possible forward

  Why do you say 'if possible'?  It would be very, very bad if a proxy
stripped out headers it didn't understand.

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]

---

From: "Simon Barber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 20:10:30 -0800

Use SMTP to deliver e-mail to the UA (push), and use SIP REGISTER to update the UA's
address in the final MTA.

Send a REGISTER message with

To: mailto:[email-masked]
Contact: mailto:a.workstation.firetalk.com:2000

Simon.

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:12:38 -0000

> server didn't understand it.
[...]

Just a small nit: I would argue 405 for something like
'sip:my.proxy.com' (the proxy does understand the method, it
just doesn't like it for this Request-URI).

Cheers,

 - Jo.