Subject: [SIP] Registration Question

From: "Moloney, Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:57:33 -0500

Hi -
 I have a question on registration -
Let's say I have client (A) who is configured to register with (B),  where B
is a proxy server. When A attempts to register with B, B decides to redirect
the request to another proxy server C. (If I understand the spec correctly,
I believe that I could accomplish this by having B respond to the
registration with a 301 Moved Permanently, including a Contact header for C
in the response.)

The question is this: Does this redirection only impact future registration
requests, or does it impact all future requests - such as INVITE?

What I am trying to accomplish is to have A direct all of its future
requests (not just registration) to the new proxy server (C). Will the
redirect that I mention above accomplish this?

Thanks,
Bill

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:40:20 -0600

Moloney, Bill ([email-masked]):

> [...]
> registration with a 301 Moved Permanently, including a Contact header
> for C in the response.)
> 
> The question is this: Does this redirection only impact future
> registration requests, or does it impact all future requests - such as
> INVITE?

  The redirection only impacts the specific registration transaction and
(optionally) future registration transactions.

  Requests such as INVITE go to their destination directly, and have
nothing to do with the registration.

> redirect that I mention above accomplish this?

  This is called an outbound proxy, where even though the message is
directed to, say, 'sip:[email-masked]', you send the message
to 'my.local.proxy.com' which then forwards it on.

  The outbound proxy is configured directly on the SIP end device, or it
can receive it from DHCP.  There is no way to signal using REGISTER or
whatever that the proxy should be used as an outbound proxy, nor would
it make sense to provide such signalling.

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]