Subject: [SIP] Redirect VS Proxy Server

From: "Schmidlin, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:59:49 -0800

Why/Where would you use a redirect server over a proxy server and vice
versa?

Thanks,
Dave

David J Schmidlin
Ext. 4869
JF3-2-D8

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:37:54 -0600

> Why/Where would you use a redirect server over a proxy server and vice

  If you were a web server, when would you send a redirect and when
would you proxy?  It's the same answer.

  Redirect servers are cheap to code, for one.  But these are logical
roles not separate entities, so your question should be more specific.

  In general you proxy a message when you are providing some additional
feature rather than simply performing a lookup.

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]