Subject: [sipcore] continued need for SIP identity

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:35:00 -0800

Two issues this month demonstrate SIP would still benefit from identity:

1. SIP attacks on the Internet are causing a lot of RTP traffic to 1.1.1.1,
see [1] and [2].  This is a real-life "voice hammer" attack, as described in
[3].  ICE, implemented on the victim endpoint, would help reduce the amount of
traffic but would not block the attack itself.  A whitelist could block the
attack but only until attackers guess common entries on the whitelist.  SIP
identity prevents identity spoofing, so attackers receive no value by
attempting to spoof caller identities.

2. SIP identity allows better-than-PSTN caller identity, allowing a SIP
network to better protect itself from caller ID fraud occuring on the PSTN
[4], [5].  Thus, SIP could be "better than the PSTN" -- which has always been
SIP's goal.

-d

[1] http://blog.sipvicious.org/2010/02/rtp-traffic-to-1111.html
[2] http://www.usken.no/2010/02/sip-scanning-causes-ddos-on-ip-1-1-1-1/
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-19#section-18.5.1
[4] http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/02/05/the-rise-of-caller-id-spoofing/
[5] http://voipsa.org/pipermail/voipsec_voipsa.org/2010-February/003113.html

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:22:42 -0600

> [4], [5].  Thus, SIP could be "better than the PSTN" -- which has  

Dan, you're preaching to a whole bunch of people who just want to  
blindly re-create the PSTN. There's no point in trying to convince  
them to do something better. They can't envision it, don't want to  
understand it, and their employers and governments are actively trying  
to block it. Give up and let Facebook and Google take over the world's  
communications infrastructure and let the dinosaurs go extinct in  
their own good time.

On the other hand, we do have this going on:

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/congress-takes-aim-at-fake-caller-ids/19282650

--
Dean

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:09:43 -0600

Fully concur.

Henry

On 2/11/10 10:22 AM, "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore