Subject: [sipcore] Revised draft-jones-sip-options-ping-02.txt

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 00:51:03 -0400

Folks,

I just wanted to bring to your attention the fact that we've submitted a new
revised version of the OPTIONS "ping" draft.  This document contains input
from a number of folks who provided comments to me on various aspects of the
draft.

We had some discussion of moving this work to the SIP Overload Control (SOC)
WG.  Given my current understanding of the scope of the SOC WG, I do not
think that OPTIONS falls within the scope of their charter.  Further, this
document was never produced for the purpose of providing an overload
mechanism, either.

I would like to have some further dialog on this document.  I've received
some positive feedback from several people, as this has been seen as a
useful first step in trying to define use of OPTIONS as a "ping" mechanism
that is interoperable.  As I had mentioned before, there are several
different variants of the same procedure in production networks and I think
it's useful that we reach some agreement on how OPTIONS should be used as an
application-level "ping", as RFC 3261 is a bit light on detail in this area.

I know I might not have captured every comment, but that's because the
discussions went in a variety of directions last time. :-)  So, my edits
were primarily editorial or to add clarity to what was already written.

Comments are most certainly welcome.

Paul

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 12:30 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action:draft-jones-sip-options-ping-02.txt
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.
> 
> 	Title           : Using OPTIONS to Query for Operational Status in
> the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
> 	Author(s)       : V. Bhargava, et al.
> 	Filename        : draft-jones-sip-options-ping-02.txt
> 	Pages           : 8
> 	Date            : 2010-06-30
> 
> This document describes a procedure for using the Session Initiation
> Protocol (SIP) OPTIONS method in order to allow one SIP entity to query
> the operational status of another SIP entity.  Through discovery of the
> status of a SIP entity, it is possible to expedite session establishment
> or provide diagnostic information to network administrators.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jones-sip-options-ping-02.txt
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
> 
> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
> Internet-Draft.