Subject: Re: [sipcore] Outline of Happy Eyeballs for SIP

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 11:31:56 -0500

Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> writes:
> Why do we need to have a solution for UDP?

My experience is that UDP is universal, so if there's a straightforward
way to do it in UDP, it will make implementation much quicker.

In the SIPit 31 report, I see:

    Implementations using each transport for SIP messages:
       UDP   100% 
       TCP    86%
       TLS    81% (20% server-auth-only)
       SCTP   10%
       DTLS    5%

Dale

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 12:27:12 -0500

>         TLS    81% (20% server-auth-only)

The TCP and TLS numbers are now getting pretty big. Of course UPD is 
100%, since almost everybody has code in for backward compatibility.

Won't the TCP numbers get more favorable if we focus on applications 
that also support IPv6 and then also require implementation of a new Via 
parameter?

Wouldn't those who are doing that much new development also just bite 
the bullet and use TCP, thus avoiding the need for the new Via parameter?

	Thanks,
	Paul