Subject: [sipcore] Protocol Action: 'Locating Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Servers in a Dual-Stack IP Network' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 14:05:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Locating Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Servers in a Dual-Stack IP
   Network'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack/

Technical Summary

  This document lays the groundwork for future "Happy Eyeballs"-style
  work on SIP by updating DNS procedures for SIP URI resolution rules
  in a way that clarifies behavior for SIP stacks that support both
  IPv4 and IPv6.

Working Group Summary

  The document spent several years in the working group, with
  occasional bursts of activity. The final push to completion
  was performed over the past few months by a concerted effort of a new
  author, who both incorporated long-standing feedback from the working group
  and worked out some of the finer details of the document. No aspect of
  the discussion proved controversial.

Document Quality

  The document received in-depth review from a small handful of
  working group participants, and the results of those reviews
  were incorporated into the final version. No implementations
  of the protocol described in the document are known to exist yet;
  however, some of the problems addressed by the draft have been
  concretely demonstrated at the SIPit 31 interop event (which also
  highlighted some previously unnoticed problems with dual-stack
  address resolution). Dan Wing provided expert review for interaction
  with "Happy Eyeballs" techniques.

Personnel

  Adam Roach is the document shepherd. Ben Campbell is the
  responsible area director.