Subject: [sipcore] Protocol Action: 'Push Notification with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-push-29.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 02:33:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Push Notification with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-push-29.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-push/

Technical Summary:

   This document describes how a Push Notification Service (PNS) can be
   used to wake suspended Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agents
   (UAs), using push notifications, for the UA to be able to send
   binding refresh REGISTER requests and to receive receive incoming SIP
   requests.  The document defines new SIP URI parameters and new
   feature-capability indicators that can be used in SIP messages to
   indicate support of the mechanism defined in this document, to
   exchange PNS information between the SIP User Agent (UA) and the SIP
   entity that will request push notifications towards the UA, and to
   trigger such push notification requests.

Working Group Summary:

This document has had extensive discussion and review by a significant number of sip experts.  The mechanism has been revised several times in response to substantive comments.  There was controversy on the wisdom of providing mechanisms for proprietary push notification protocols to use, but the work group has a solid rough consensus that this document solves a real problem in an appropriate way and does not favor any proprietary push notification system over a standard one (RFC8030)

Document Quality:

There are many reports of implementations of proprietary solutions to the problem this document addresses, and discussion indicates this mechanism will replace those mechanisms in many cases.  We expect quite a few implementations, but there have not been reports of actual implementations at this time.  Many sipcore "regulars" have reviewed drafts of this document and made substantive comments which has resulted in many versions of the document. All comments have been addressed.  

Personnel:

Brian Rosen is the Document Shepherd, Ben Campbell is the Area Director