Subject: [sipcore] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:10:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Core WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Third-Party Token-based Authentication and Authorization for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
        Authors         : Rifaat Shekh-Yusef
                          Christer Holmberg
                          Victor Pascual
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2020-03-23

Abstract:
   This document defines the "Bearer" authentication scheme for the
   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), and a mechanism by which user
   authentication and SIP registration authorization is delegated to a
   third party, using the OAuth 2.0 framework and OpenID Connect Core
   1.0.  This document updates RFC 3261 to provide guidance on how a SIP
   User Agent Client (UAC) responds to a SIP 401/407 response that
   contains multiple WWW-Authenticate/Proxy-Authenticate header fields.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 20:17:11 -0400

All,

This version of the document incorporates Jean's suggested text.
Hope this helps clarify the different token types and formats.

Note that section 3 already explains what should the registrar do when it
receives an access token with either of these formats.

Regards,
 Rifaat

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 8:10 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

>         Title           : Third-Party Token-based Authentication and
> Authorization for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:41:14 -0400

Rifaat,

This is much better! The things I found confusing now seem clear.

Just a few nits I came across while reviewing this version.

In section 1.3: s/represnetd/represented/

In section 1.4.2, the following:

    In step [2], the UAC retries the registration process by sending a
    new REGISTER request that includes the access token that the UAC
    obtained previously.

says "retries", but [2] is actually the first try. I guess this is just 
a cut/paste error from 1.4.1.

In section 2.2:

    ...
    MUST validate the access token, using the procedures associated with
    the type of access token used, e.g.  [RFC7519]. ...

I think it would be helpful to explain which types you are talking 
about. E.g.,

    ...
    MUST validate the access token, using the procedures associated with
    the type of access token (Structured or Reference) used, e.g.
    [RFC7519]. ...

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 3/23/20 8:17 PM, Rifaat Shekh-Yusef wrote:
> Note that section 3 already explains what should the registrar do when 
> it receives an access token with either of these formats.
> 
> Regards,
>   Rifaat
> 
> 
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 8:10 PM <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
> 
>              Title           : Third-Party Token-based Authentication
>     and Authorization for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
>     https://datatracker.ietf..org/doc/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11
>     <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11>
> 
>     until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org
>     <http://tools.ietf.org>.
> 
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 14:11:40 -0400

Thanks Paul!

I will fix these and submit a new version later today.

Regards,
 Rifaat

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 1:43 PM Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >     https://datatracker.ietf.
> .org/doc/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-11
> >     <