Subject: [Slim] AD review of draft-ietf-slim-multilangcontent-08

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:18:06 +0100

Hi,
I've started IETF LC on the document. Please respond and address the
following comments after IETF LC. Most of my comments are nits or minor.

The first mention of UTF-8 needs a Normative Reference to RFC 3629.

In order to avoid confusion, I suggest you say "UTF-8 charset" instead
of "UTF-8 encoding". "Encoding" means something else in MIME.

In Section 4, 2nd para:

   Firstly, if the email client does not understand multipart/
   multilingual then it should treat the message as if it was multipart/

s/should/will and add a reference to the relevant MIME RFC that requires
this behaviour.

   mixed and render message parts accordingly.

4th para in the same section:

   If there is no match for the user's preferred language (or there is
   no preferred language information available) the email client SHOULD
   select the language independent part (if one exists) or the first
   language part (directly after the multilingual preface) if a language
   independent part does not exist.

I think asking user (as per MAY below in the same section) might be a
better choice than showing a random part in a language the user might
not understand. But I don't feel strongly about this.

In Section 6: This document should add ABNF for the Translation-Type
header field in order to avoid doubt. For example, CFWS shouldn't be
allowed in it, but optional FWS probably needs to be allowed before the
value. Without seeing the ABNF I have to make guesses when implementing
parser for this header field.

In Section 8.2: multipart/mixed with a single image part is not really
the best example. While it is legal, you should probably just use
image/png directly.

In Section 10.1:

Interoperability Considerations: I keep believing that such
implementations are non compliant with MIME, so it would be better to
say so.

"Published Specification" should say "RFC XXXX", so that RFC Editor
would know to replace XXXX with the document RFC # before publication.
IANA templates are cut & pasted to IANA website, so saying "this
document" is not going to be useful.

I think "Change Controller" field is missing from the registration
template.

Best Regards,
Alexey