Subject: RE: Border directories

From: Philip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:55:15 -0700

>>  client -> HTTP GET -> Apache w/mod_perl & DBI-/

Perl? Puleeezzee...

I am not a fan of the RDBMS model either... But  basing a
design decision on the 'Fact' that HTTP has to involve
a shell scripting language with a somewhat eccentric syntax
rather than a direct call to the databes API is somewhat odd
in any case.

All you need in the repository is ACID properties. Insisting
that the choice of data model must be either RDB or X.500 is
somewhat odd IMNSHO.

The only data model you actually need is that required by the
S/MIME client interface and the PKI interface. i.e. retrieval
by means of a key formed by the subjectAltName (or legacy DN
component) and incremental addition/deletion of certificates
and CRLs by the PKI data source.

Oh and by the way, folk making statements about Active directory
as if it was simply and exclusively an LDAP directory make
a major underestimation of its function and capabilities.

		Phill

---

From: "Walter Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:01:33 -0400

> a major underestimation of its function and capabilities.

But the other capacities were outside the context of our discussion on
interoperability with S/MIME and therefor out of scope.  I try not to waste
people's time with fluf and am again calling that this thread be snuffed.
It has lost any and all relevance to the initial discussions.