Subject: Signed message

From: "Hellrung, Lisa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:52:32 -0500

I was wondering if someone could help me out with the syntax of a signed
message? I am able to send signed and encrypted e-mail but if I only sign
that e-mail, it will either show up in Outlook and Outlook Express as a
regular message or signed but "Message has been tampered with" error. 

When sent with 

"Content-Type: multipart/signed; protocol="application/x-pkcs7-signature";
micalg=SHA1; 
boundary="=====NextPart_qaNWAwffsV5PxkAy7ndv"

Message

"Content-Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature;" + vbCrLf + "
name=""smime.p7s""" + vbCrLf
"Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64" + vbCrLf
"Content-Disposition: attachment;" + vbCrLf + "
filename=""smime.p7s""" + vbCrLf + vbCrLf
Encoded signed message

It appears as a normal mail message.

When sent with

"Content-Type: application/pkcs7-mime;smime-type=signed-data;name=smime.p7m"
+ vbCrLf
"Content-Type: application/pkcs7-mime;" & vbCrLf + "
name=""smime.p7m""" + vbCrLf
"Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64" + vbCrLf
"Content-Disposition: attachment;" + vbCrLf + "      filename=""smime.p7m"""
+ vbCrLf + vbCrLf
encoded message

It appears as signed but invalid because message has been tampered with.

If anyone could help me to correct this problem, I would greatly appreciate
it. 

Also, the first message works when later encrypted. Thanks.