Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-espolicies-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:35:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Electronic Signature Policies
	Author(s)	: J. Ross, D. Pinkas, N. Pope
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-espolicies-00.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 18-Jul-00
	
This RFC defines signature policies for electronic signatures. 
A signature policy is a set of rules for the creation and validation 
of an electronic signature, under which the validity of signature can 
be determined. A given legal/contractual context may recognize a 
particular signature policy as meeting its requirements. 

A signature policy has a globally unique reference, which is bound to 
an electronic signature by the signer as part of the signature 
calculation.

The signature policy needs to be available in human readable form so 
that it can be assessed to meet the requirements of the legal and 
contractual context in which it is being applied.

To allow for the automatic processing of an electronic signature 
another part of the signature policy specifies the electronic 
rules for the creation and validation of the electronic signature in 
a computer processable form.  In the current document the format of the 
signature policy is defined using ASN.1. 

The contents of this RFC is based on the signature policy defined in
ETSI ES 201 733 V.1.1.3(2000-05) Copyright (C).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-espolicies-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-espolicies-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-espolicies-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.