Subject: On requiring RSA (after September 20th, of course)

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:37:44 -0700

Blake Ramsdell has turned in two drafts that are worthy of 
consideration in this group. It's my opinion that they represent the 
reality of the marketplace, and that it would be good to have our 
RFCs reflect that if possible.

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>	Title		: S/MIME Version 3.1 Certificate Profile Addendum
>	Author(s)	: B. Ramsdell
>	Filename	: draft-ramsdell-smime31-cert-00.txt
>	Pages		:
>	Date		: 24-Jul-00
>
>In light of the expiration of the primary RSA patent, it is proposed
>that the RSA algorithm replace the DSS and Diffie-Hellman as the MUST
>implement algorithms in the S/MIME profile. This draft will describe
>only the proposed changes to the S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
>RFC [SMIMEV3CERT], and the rest of that RFC will remain identical.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ramsdell-smime31-cert-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ramsdell-smime31-cert-00.txt".

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>	Title		: S/MIME Version 3.1 Message Specification Addendum
>	Author(s)	: B. Ramsdell
>	Filename	: draft-ramsdell-smime31-msg-00.txt
>	Pages		:
>	Date		: 24-Jul-00
>
>In light of the expiration of the primary RSA patent, it is proposed
>that the RSA algorithm replace the DSS and Diffie-Hellman as the MUST
>implement algorithms in the S/MIME profile. This draft will describe
>only the proposed changes to the S/MIME Version 3 Message
>Specification RFC [SMIMEV3MSG], and the rest of that RFC will remain
>identical.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ramsdell-smime31-msg-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ramsdell-smime31-msg-00.txt".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium