Subject: Terminology - Was RE: Way Forward

From: Mike Just <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:02:33 -0400

I agree with David's suggestion below. I find it very confusing that the
term "key management" is used here when I believe "key establishment" (or
even "key agreement") would be more appropriate.  When I hear key
management, I think of updating keys in certificates.  Key establishment is
more closely related to what is actually occuring, and as David points out,
is how it is defined in the literature.

Mike J.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David P. Kemp [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 12:25 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Way Forward
> 

<...snip...>

> 
> Regarding terminology, I suggest that the term "Key Establishment" be
> used in lieu of "Key Management" in RFC 2630 section 12.3 and 
> elsewhere.
> OAEP and DH have very little to do with "managing" keys; they are used
> to establish a shared session key.  See HAC Definition 12.2.
> 
> Dave
> 
>