Subject: RE: Way Forward

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:13:58 (NZST)

"Pawling, John" <[email-masked]> writes:

>The S/MIME Freeware Library (SFL) implements the EncryptedData content type.
>Wang Government Services has not successfully performed interoperability
>testing of the EncryptedData content type between the SFL and any other
>implementations.  We did use the SFL to create an example EncryptedData object
>with unprotected attributes that we sent to Paul Hoffman for inclusion in the
>"Examples of S/MIME Messages" Internet-Draft. We are willing to participate in
>interop testing with anyone else who has implemented the EncryptedData content
>type.

I've done EncryptedData (it's a trivial subset of EnvelopedData), here's a
sample encrypted with CAST-128 using the key "0123456789ABCDEF":

sum -r/size 37389/139 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 15095/80 entire input file

>The SFL does not implement the DigestedData and AuthenticatedData content
>types.

Ditto.  My position on these is that I'll implement them as soon as someone
requests them.  OTOH I've only had the code out there for about two years, so
the stampede might start at any point :-).

Peter.