Subject: Protocol Action: Use of the CAST-128 Encryption Algorithm in CMS to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 06:33:08 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Use of the CAST-128
Encryption Algorithm in CMS' <draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-02.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail
Security Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller
and Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
This protocol specifies the mechanisms and OIDs necessary to use the
CAST-128 [RFC2144] encryption algorithm with the S/MIME Cryptographic
Message Syntax [RFC2630]. This cipher supports a variable length key
(40 - 128 bits) and is available worldwide without royalties. It is
considered by the cryptographic community as a valid and reasonable
cipher.

Working Group Summary

There was WG consensus on promotion to Proposed Standard.

Protocol Quality

The protocol has been independently reviewed for the IESG by both
Marcus Leech and Jeff Schiller.