Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 06:31:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Securing X.400 Content with S/MIME
	Author(s)	: P. Hoffman, C. Bonatti
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 03-Nov-00
	
This document describes a protocol for adding cryptographic signature
and encryption services to X.400 content.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "William Ottaway" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:57:29 -0000

Hi,

Some observations :-

1) Replace "Expires in six months" with actual expiry date.
2) Section 1, first sentence: Insert "the" between "in" and "Cryptographic"
3) Section 1.1, para 2, second sentence. add "carrying X.400 content" before
"," to read "In order to create S/MIME messages carrying X.400 content, an
S/MIME ..."
4) Section 1.3, DER definition: replace "x" with "1" to read "8825-1"
5) Section 2.4, first sentence: Insert "the" between "of" and "ContentInfo".
6) Section 2.5, para 2, second sentence: replace "CMS/X400" with "CMS-X400"
7) Section 2.5, para 5: replace "CMS/X400" with "CMS-X400"
8) Section 3.1, para 3, first sentence: replace "which is" with "wants to
be" to read "... User Agent wants to be delivered to one or more
recipients."
9) Section 3.2, para 4, second sentence: Change to "If other 8-bit
transports (e.g., X.400) are used then the optional MIME encoding SHOULD NOT
be used."
10) Section 3.4 para 2, first sentence: Replace "is-data" with "id-data".
11) Section 3.6: Can you specify the standards within the PKIX WG that you
are referring to?

Bill.

---

From: "Bonatti, Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:33:41 -0500

I concur on 1-8 and 10.  Comment 9 seems gratuitous, but I don't object.

Comment 11 asks for more specific references in PKIX.  I assumed that this
referred to PKCS-10 and CRMF.  My feeling here is that we should be as
non-specific as possible to avoid introducing any undesireably dependencies.  I
guess I'm not entirely comfortable with "at the time of this writing" either,
but I could live with it.

Chris B.

_____________________

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:50:14 -0800

At 2:33 PM -0500 11/10/00, Bonatti, Chris wrote:
>referred to PKCS-10 and CRMF.

No, it refers to CMP and CMC. Aren't multiple protocols for doing the 
same thing fun? :-)

>   My feeling here is that we should be as
>non-specific as possible to avoid introducing any undesireably dependencies.

The wording does not include any dependencies at all. That was quite 
purposeful in the S/MIME spec from which we copied this text.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium