Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt

From: "David P. Kemp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:49:24 -0500 (EST)

> 	Title		: S/MIME Version 3.1 Certificate Profile Addendum
> 	Author(s)	: B. Ramsdell
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 
> 	Date		: 22-Nov-00
> 	
> In light of the expiration of the primary RSA patent, it is proposed
> that the RSA algorithm replace the DSS and Diffie-Hellman as the MUST
> implement algorithms in the S/MIME profile. This draft will describe
> only the proposed changes to the S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
> RFC [SMIMEV3CERT], and the rest of that RFC will remain identical.

Did I miss the discussion and consensus on this?

I was under the impression that RSA does not replace DSA as a
MUST-implement, rather RSA becomes an additional MUST for signatures:

> Russ Housley <[email-masked]> on 07/31/2000 05:04:52 PM
>
> Proposed way forward:  Change the mandatory to implement algorithm set to:
>      One-way Hash:  SHA-1 (no change)
>      Signature:     Both DSA and RSA (PKCS#1 v1.5)
>      Key Mgmt: RSA (OAEP)
>      Eencryption:   Triple-DES in CBC mode

The Certificate Profile should reflect the results of the last meeting
and subsequent mail list discussion.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:46:08 -0500

Dave:

You did not miss anything.  This is a proposed change.  The Working Group 
has not agreed or rejected the proposal.

Russ