Subject: RE: S/MIME v3 implementations

From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:38:56 -0500

Ahmed,

The S/MIME Freeware Library (SFL) uses the freeware Crypto++ library to
implement RFC 2631.  We have performed successful RFC 2631 interoperability
testing between the SFL and the Microsoft Outlook 2000 S/MIME v3
implementation.  Also, the SFL has been used to perform RFC 2631
interoperability testing with Baltimore Technologies S/MIME v3
implementation.

When using E-S D-H, the originator uses the recipient's D-H public key
parameters to generate the originator's ephemeral D-H private/public key
pair.  If you are sending the same message to multiple recipients who have
different D-H key sizes, then the originator can generate a unique ephemeral
D-H private/public key pair for each different recipient key size.  In this
case, the originator would include a separate RecipientInfo in the
EnvelopedData for each different recipient key size.

Please let me know if you require further information regarding the SFL or
the interoperability testing that we have conducted.

===========================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC
===========================================

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmed Bhamjee [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 5:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: S/MIME v3 implementations

Could someone please provide me (or point me to a location where I can find)
a list of products which implement Diffie-Hellman as per RFC 2631.

Also, when using Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral-Static mode, what key size do you
use to generate a new key pair. You could use the key size of the recipient,
but what if you are sending the same message to multiple recipients who may
have different DH key sizes. Another option is to use the size of your own
static DH key pair.

I would appreciate any advice or help with this.

Thanks in advance
Ahmed