Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:28:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: S/MIME Version 3.1 Certificate Profile Addendum
	Author(s)	: B. Ramsdell
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 22-Nov-00
	
In light of the expiration of the primary RSA patent, it is proposed
that the RSA algorithm replace the DSS and Diffie-Hellman as the MUST
implement algorithms in the S/MIME profile. This draft will describe
only the proposed changes to the S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
RFC [SMIMEV3CERT], and the rest of that RFC will remain identical.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Blake Ramsdell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:02:06 -0800

I agree, and I screwed up.  Basically I just took the -ramsdell draft and
made it -smime, and I forgot to change the language.

The msg draft didn't get submitted, as I submitted the -ramsdell version
instead of the -smime version.  I think the wording is fixed in there, and
you can certainly point out anything that I missed.  I will send it to the
list soon.

Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: David P. Kemp [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 12:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-v31cert-00.txt

> RFC [SMIMEV3CERT], and the rest of that RFC will remain identical.

Did I miss the discussion and consensus on this?

I was under the impression that RSA does not replace DSA as a
MUST-implement, rather RSA becomes an additional MUST for signatures:

> Russ Housley <[email-masked]> on 07/31/2000 05:04:52 PM
>
> Proposed way forward:  Change the mandatory to implement algorithm set to:
>      One-way Hash:  SHA-1 (no change)
>      Signature:     Both DSA and RSA (PKCS#1 v1.5)
>      Key Mgmt: RSA (OAEP)
>      Eencryption:   Triple-DES in CBC mode

The Certificate Profile should reflect the results of the last meeting
and subsequent mail list discussion.