Subject: Re: [lamps] Proposed Re-Chartering Text for CMP updates and lightweight profile (RE: Follow-up on lightweight CMP profile)

From: Tomas Gustavsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 13:05:11 +0200

Hi,

I support this initiative/re-charter.

Regards,
Tomas Gustavsson
PrimeKey Solutions AB

---
Hi Russ, all,

as discussed at IETF104 and on this list we would like to spend further
work on updating and profiling CMP focusing on industrial use cases.
To get input, feedback and support from LAMPS we propose the following
charter text.

As certificate management gets increasingly important in industrial
environments, it needs to be tailored to the specific needs. CMP as
existing protocol offers a vast range of options. As it is already being
applied in industrial environments it needs to be enhanced to more
efficiently support of industrial use cases, crypto agility and specific
communication relations on the one hand and profiled to the necessary
functionality on the other hand to ease application and to better
facilitate interoperable implementation.

Hendrik

Von: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>;
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 8. Mai 2019 02:18
An: Brockhaus, Hendrik (CT RDA ITS SEA-DE) <[email-masked]>;
Cc: [email-masked]; Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>;; Fries, Steffen
(CT RDA ITS) <[email-masked]>;
Betreff: Re: [lamps] Follow-up on lightweight CMP profile

Hendrik:

The current re-charter is about two weeks away.  You would need to
propose text for the charter on this list, and see if there are people
that will review and implement.

Russ

On May 3, 2019, at 4:52 AM, Brockhaus, Hendrik
<[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi all

Referring to the Email thread 'Seeking guidance on proceeding with
question from IETF-104 presentation on lightweight CMP profile' and to
the outcome of the WG meeting, we want to summarize the current state of
the discussion.
The discussion we had with Jim motivate a split of the current draft
into a CMP Updates and a CMP Profile document. The update of CMP is
needed because we identified at least two point where a change to CMP is
needed:
- Change the type of encryptedCert from EncryptedValue to EncryptedKey
for ECC and post-quantum algorithm support
- Extend the RootCAUpdate announcement message to e request/response
message to enable requesting the update from the client side
The remaining points from the initial email were seen as profiling topic
and would therefore be handled in the CMP Profile document.

@Russ, how do you see the status of the current re-chartering process?
Would you support to add both, or at least the CMP Updates, activities
under the revised charter?

- Hendrik
_______________________________________________
Spasm mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spasm<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fspasm&data=02%7C01%7Chendrik.brockhaus%40siemens.com%7Cb2dc4e66b2644d53d64308d6d34aa72c%7C38ae3bcd95794fd4addab42e1495d55a%7C1%7C0%7C636928715140199163&sdata=vbsWP%2FRwxnN6qgWKB2Qbq7aC5CFobDEJCTqJOBkSIJk%3D&reserved=0>