Subject: [lamps] RFC 8696 on Using Pre-Shared Key (PSK) in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 21:32:30 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8696

        Title:      Using Pre-Shared Key (PSK) in 
                    the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) 
        Author:     R. Housley
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8696

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8696

The invention of a large-scale quantum computer would pose a serious
challenge for the cryptographic algorithms that are widely deployed
today.  The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) supports key transport
and key agreement algorithms that could be broken by the invention of
such a quantum computer.  By storing communications that are
protected with the CMS today, someone could decrypt them in the
future when a large-scale quantum computer becomes available.  Once
quantum-secure key management algorithms are available, the CMS will
be extended to support the new algorithms if the existing syntax does
not accommodate them.  This document describes a mechanism to protect
today's communication from the future invention of a large-scale
quantum computer by mixing the output of key transport and key
agreement algorithms with a pre-shared key.

This document is a product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC