Subject: [lamps] Magnus Westerlund's Block on charter-ietf-lamps-04-02: (with BLOCK)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 06:48:08 -0800

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-lamps-04-02: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-lamps/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding:

The LAMPS WG may produce
clarifications where needed, but the LAMPS WG shall not adopt
anything beyond clarifications without rechartering.

... may produce clarifications ...

I would argue that this allows for updates specifications that doesn't change
the scope of the specification. Some clarifications may result in a actual
change of a prior WG consensus decision. If that is what is intended, then
fine. But I would appreciate some clarification on what type of work is
actually expected here.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 09:56:29 -0500

> On Dec 5, 2019, at 9:48 AM, Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

There is not intent to change previous consensus.  In Singapore, these were discussed as likely work:

  - draft-richardson-lamps-rfc7030est-clarify
  - draft-turner-5480-ku-clarifications
  - draft-housley-lamps-cms-update-alg-id-protect

I'm not sure how you want to constrain the charter beyond clarifications.

Russ

---

From: Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 14:59:48 +0000

Hi Magnus!

Briefly.  We can talk in a few minutes during the telechat ...

> -----Original Message-----
> From: iesg <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Russ Housley
> Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2019 9:56 AM
> To: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
> Cc: LAMPS WG <[email-masked]>; IESG <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Magnus Westerlund's Block on charter-ietf-lamps-04-02: (with
> BLOCK)
> 
> 
> 
> > email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut
> > this introductory paragraph, however.)
> >
> >
> >
> > clarifications where needed, but the LAMPS WG shall not adopt anything
> > beyond clarifications without rechartering.
> >
> > I would argue that this allows for updates specifications that doesn't
> > change the scope of the specification. Some clarifications may result
> > in a actual change of a prior WG consensus decision. If that is what
> > is intended, then fine. But I would appreciate some clarification on
> > what type of work is actually expected here.
> 

"May produce clarifications" is intended to capture small scope clarifications to work from the closed PKIX and S/MIME working group like Russ identified above..  Any new work or extensions would require a re-charter.

Roman