Subject: [lamps] Protocol Action: 'Update to the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) for Algorithm Identifier Protection' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lamps-cms-update-alg-id-protect-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 06:48:48 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Update to the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) for Algorithm
   Identifier Protection'
  (draft-ietf-lamps-cms-update-alg-id-protect-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX
and SMIME Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-cms-update-alg-id-protect/

Technical Summary

   This document updates the Cryptographic Message Syntax as specified
   in RFC 5652 to ensure that algorithm identifiers in signed-data
   and authenticated-data content types are adequately protected.

   It does so by making two changes: requiring that the originator 
   use the same hash algorithm to compute the digest of the message
   content and the digest of signed attributes, and recommends that
   the originator use the CMSAlgorithmProtection attribute [RFC6211].

Working Group Summary

There is consensus for this document in the LAMPS WG.

Document Quality

Nothing of note arose during the review of the document.   This updated CMS guidance is not yet being implemented.

Personnel

    Tim Hollebeek is the document shepherd.
    Roman Danyliw is the responsible area director.