Subject: RE: [Speechsc] Problem with draft-6 RECOGNIZEcommandandtest/uri-listcontent type

From: "Wyss, Felix" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:24:04 -0500

Does this seem reasonable?  

Felix

*******************************************************

text/grammar-ref-list MIME type registration 

IANA is requested to register the following MIME type according to the
process defined in RFC 2048. 

To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Registration of MIME media type text/grammar-ref-list

MIME media type name: text 

MIME subtype name: grammar-ref-list

Required parameters: 

None

Optional parameters: 

None 

Encoding considerations:  

Depending on the transfer protocol, a transfer encoding may be necessary
to deal with very long lines.  

Security considerations:  

This media type contains URIs which may represent references to external
resources.  As these resources are assumed to be speech recognition
grammars, similar considerations as for the media types
"application/srgs" and "application/srgs+xml" [1] apply.  

Interoperability considerations:  

We make the assumption that '>' is not a valid character in a URI
according to RFC2396.

Published specification:

The RECOGNIZE method of the MRCP protocol performs a recognition
operation that matches input against a set of grammars.  When matching
against more than one grammar, it is sometimes necessary to use
different weights for the individual grammars.  These weights are not a
property of the grammar resource itself but qualify the reference to
that grammar for the particular recognition operation initiated by the
RECOGNIZE method. 

The format of the proposed text/grammar-ref-list media type is as
follows:

  body        = *line
  line        = (comment | reference) CRLF
  comment     = "#" *<any CHAR excluding CR and LF>
  reference   = "<" uri ">" [parameters] [comment]
  parameters  = ":" parameter *(";" parameter)
  parameter   = name "=" value
  uri         = <same as 'URI-reference' production of RFC 2396>
  name        = <same as 'token' production of RFC2616>
  value       = <same as 'quoted-string' production of RFC2616> 

Note that MRCP currently only uses a 'weight' parameter, but there may
be the need for additional parameters in the future (even vendor
specific extensions).  Names of vendor specific parameters SHOULD start
with "x-".  

Example:

# Input for 'Form 1'
<http://example.com/grammars/field1.gram>  # weight 1.0 is default
<http://example.com/grammars/field2.gram>:weight="0.85"
<http://example.com/grammars/universals.gram>:weight="0.75"

Applications which use this media type:

Media Resource Control Protocol (MRCP) 

Additional information:

  Magic number(s): none
  File extension(s): none
  Macintosh File Type Code(s): none

[1] The W3C Speech Interface Framework Media Types:
application/voicexml+xml,  
application/ssml+xml,  application/srgs, application/srgs+xml, 
application/ccxml+xml and application/pls+xml; 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-froumentin-voice-mediatypes-02
.txt

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shanmugham, Saravanan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 13:53
> To: Wyss, Felix; Dave Burke; David R. Oran
> Cc: [email-masked]; Bennett, Patrick
> Subject: RE: [Speechsc] Problem with draft-6
RECOGNIZEcommandandtest/uri-
> listcontent type
> 
> I am fine with the idea.
> Would you be able to propose a content-type registration section for
> this content-type.
> We could add it to the current list of registrations and retire the
> one-of header.
> 
> Sarvi
> 

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: "Dave Burke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:54:28 +0100

Looks good. Just one or two queries/comments:
    - Why delimit the first parameter with ":" and the subsequent with ";". 
Simpler, more uniform to just use ";"?
    - Is a comments mechanism really needed? "#" is very common in URIs to 
identify fragments (especially in SRGS!)
    - Should we include weight in "Optional Parameters" (we either define it 
here or in MRCP spec)?
    - We'll also use session: URIs with the grammar-ref-list (to allow 
weights on previously DEFINE'd-GRAMMARs). Fits BNF in RFC2396 and below

Dave

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Wyss, Felix" <[email-masked]>
To: "Shanmugham, Saravanan" <[email-masked]>; "Dave Burke" 
<[email-masked]>; "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Bennett, Patrick" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 4:24 AM
Subject: RE: [Speechsc] Problem with draft-6 
RECOGNIZEcommandandtest/uri-listcontent type

Felix

To: [email-masked]

Required parameters:

None

Optional parameters:

None

Encoding considerations:

Security considerations:

Published specification:

  body        = *line

Example:

# Input for 'Form 1'

Additional information:

  Magic number(s): none
  File extension(s): none