Subject: [Speechsc] Security-level header in speaker verification methods

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:03:07 -0400

This header is unfortunately named and will likely cause confusion  
and dismay among the security community, because it does not have any  
useful relationship to anything they would recognize as a security  
level.

To refresh your cache, the header is described by the following text:

"The Security-Level header determines the range of verification  
scores in which a decision of 'accepted' may be declared. This header  
MAY occur in SET-PARAMS, GET-PARAMS and START-SESSION methods. It can  
be "high" (highest security level), "medium-high", "medium" (normal  
security level), "medium-low", or "low" (low security level). The  
default value is platform specific."

In addition, the terms "high", medium-high", etc. for the values are  
semantic-free in practice and quantized in a completely arbitrary way.

I propose we rename this header to be "confidence-level" and use the  
same 0-1 range we do with this header for other operations like  
recognition.

The description text would then read:

"The confidence-threshold, when used on a verification resource  
through a SET-PARAMS, GET-PARAMS and START-SESSION method, determines  
the minumum verification score for which a verification decision of  
"accepted" may be declared by the server.  See section xxx for a  
description of the use of this header with the recognizer resource."

Objections?

Dave.

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:29:39 -0400

I have not heard any objections to this proposal, so I am going to  
make this change.

On Jun 10, 2005, at 5:03 PM, David R. Oran wrote:

> and dismay among the security community, because it does not have  
> any useful relationship to anything they would recognize as a  
> security level.
>
> scores in which a decision of 'accepted' may be declared. This  
> header MAY occur in SET-PARAMS, GET-PARAMS and START-SESSION  
> methods. It can be "high" (highest security level), "medium-high",  
> "medium" (normal security level), "medium-low", or "low" (low  
> security level). The default value is platform specific."
>
> In addition, the terms "high", medium-high", etc. for the values  
> are semantic-free in practice and quantized in a completely  
> arbitrary way.
>
> I propose we rename this header to be "confidence-level" and use  
> the same 0-1 range we do with this header for other operations like  
> recognition.
>
> through a SET-PARAMS, GET-PARAMS and START-SESSION method,  
> determines the minumum verification score for which a verification  
> decision of "accepted" may be declared by the server.  See section  
> xxx for a description of the use of this header with the recognizer  
> resource."
>
> Objections?
>
> Dave.
>