Subject: RE: [Speechsc] sensitivity level header for speech rec

From: "Reifenrath, Klaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:53:11 -0400

Hi Dave,

we can reference the VoiceXML spec for sensitivity, right? Here is how it is
defined in VoiceXML 2.0 (http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml20/#dml6.3.2): 
Set the sensitivity level. A value of 1.0 means that it is highly sensitive
to quiet input. A value of 0.0 means it is least sensitive to noise. The
value is a Real Number Designation (see Section 6.5). The default value is
0.5.

BTW: There are many other header fields where a reference to the VoiceXML
spec would be helpful from my point of view!

Regards,
Klaus

-----Original Message-----
From: David R. Oran [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Freitag, 3. Juni 2005 16:04
To: [email-masked] ((E-mail))
Subject: [Speechsc] sensitivity level header for speech rec

Why is this a number between 0 and 1? What could these values possibly mean?
Does 0 mean total audio suppression? Does 1 mean 0 gain or 0 dbM relative to
the reference eve of the signal processor in the recognizer?

Is it linear in power or logarithmic?

I can't see any way to have an interoperable implementation of this.  
I'm embarassed I didn't catch this before.

If we need such a beast, it really needs to be something like a dB value
relative to zero dBm.

Is it too late to fix this? I hope not.

Dave.

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:59:03 -0400

On Jun 3, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Reifenrath, Klaus wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> we can reference the VoiceXML spec for sensitivity, right?
Sure we can. Copying an existing standard flat tire is a definite  
improvement over inventing our own.

I thought those VXML guys knew something about audio. Or were they  
trying to "shield the application programmer from having to know what  
they're doing"? Sheesh, that's like specifying a car design schema  
without telling the designer that velocity is in meters per second  
and that you specify the speed range for the car in terms of 0=slow,  
1=fast.

Sheesh.

Dave.

> Here is how it is