Subject: [Speechsc] "Device" in verification results

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:01:06 -0400

"<section
title="Device">
<t>This element is found within the incremental or cumulative element  
within the verification results. Its value indicates the apparent  
type of device used by the caller as determined by verification. It  
can have the values of "cellular-phone", "electret-phone", "carbon- 
button-phone" and "unknown".</t></section>

Is this for real? who wants it?

<sarcastic-mode>
Can I have a bunch more values like:

"darth vader environ-suit"
"chipmonk vocoder"

and a bunch more useful elements in the verificaiton results, like:

"apparent sex"
"likely sexual orientation"
"has an upper respiratory infection"
"is too close to the mic and will never survive the first round of  
"American Idol".

</sarcastic-mode>

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: Ran Zilca <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:29:12 -0400

If a device type is detected by the verification resource then it is useful
to return it. For example the recognition resource may be able to use it to
improve accuracy, or the application may apply different user accept/reject
strategies depending on the detected device (say using different thresholds
based on device).

Unlike other auxilary information that may be returned from the
verification resource (e.g. gender) the values of "device" are not as
well-defined. I agree that the values in the spec seem technology/vendor
specific and should probably be replaced. However, there's an advantage in
having standard values (increases the chances of interoperability across
platforms/implementations).

I propose maintaining the "Device" return element, and in the spec
requiring that an implementation MUST be able to return a value of
"unknown", and MAY be able to return "landline-phone" and "cellular-phone"
(and perhaps a few more basic values). In addition the speech should allow
for vendor specific values to be added...

Ran

Ran Zilca
Senior Software Engineer
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Rd.
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

http://www.research.ibm.com/CBG

Voice:      (914) 945-3013
Fax:  (914) 945-4490

"David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>@ietf.org on 06/10/2005 06:01:06 PM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    "[email-masked] ((((E-mail))))" <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:    [Speechsc] "Device" in verification results

"<section
title="Device">

<sarcastic-mode>

"apparent sex"

</sarcastic-mode>