Subject: [Speechsc] weight-value clarification

From: Brett Gavagni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:51:36 -0400

The ABNF in draft-9 incorrectly defines the precision of the weight-value 
in contrast with the W3C SRGS spec w.r.t  weight attribute of a <item> 
element. 

   weight                =    "Weight" ":" weight-value CRLF

   weight-value          =    1*DIGIT

http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-grammar/#S2.4.1

2.4.1 Weights
A weight may be optionally provided for any number of alternatives in an 
alternative expansion. Weights are simple positive floating point values 
without exponentials. Legal formats are "n", "n.", ".n" and "n.n" where 
"n" is a sequence of one or many digits.

Propose to track an issue for the next draft to redefine weight-value to a 
float similarly as defined: RFC 2425 A MIME Content-Type for Directory 
Information

   float = [sign] 1*DIGIT ["." 1*DIGIT]

   sign = "+" / "-"

Thanks,

Brett Gavagni 
WebSphere Voice Server Development 
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/pervasive/voice_server/
(561) 862-2097 T/L (975) 
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: "Carter, Jerry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:01:55 -0400

Brett:

The use of weight in 9.4.42 currently refers only to voice enrollment.

There is a second and unrelated concept of 'weight' indicating the weight of
the entire grammar.  This concept is motivated by VoiceXML 2.0 [1] but
applicable in other contexts.

The language is VXML 2.0 is based on SRGS.

    Legal formats are "n", "n.", ".n" and "n.n" where "n" is a 
    sequence of one or many digits.

I have recently suggested [2] that weight be supported for recognition
grammars directly in RECOGNIZE messages.  If there is agreement on that,
then we'd probably want to change the weight-value to support floating point
numbers.

-=- Jerry

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-voicexml20-20040316/#dml3.1.1.3 
[2] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speechsc/current/msg01719.html 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brett Gavagni [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:52 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Speechsc] weight-value clarification
>