Subject: [Speechsc] VoiceXML inputmodes property

From: "Bergallo Patrizio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:27:11 +0200

Hi,
some months ago there was a discussion on VoiceXML 'inputmodes' property
implementability in MRCPv2 protocol (see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speechsc/current/msg01497.html).
That thread was closed renaming 'START-OF-SPEECH' event in
'START-OF-INPUT', adding 'input-type' header to it and clarifying
conditions under which START-OF-INPUT event has to be generated from
server.

However, this solution seems not so good to us, for the following
reasons:

- When both synthesis and recognition resources are involved in the same
MRCPv2 session, START-OF-INPUT event generation causes internal SPEAK
interruption. If 'input-mode' header is not conform to inputmodes
property, VoiceXML client can only abort RECOGNIZE method and take some
action (raise an error event? nomatch, noinput or others). On the other
hand, even though only a RECOGNIZE is sent, a wrong grammar could be
matched (e.g. a DTFM grammar when the input mode was set to "voice"); in
this case the VoiceXML interpreter could just recover the error raising
e.g. a NO-MATCH event and reprompting the question to the user; an "a
priori" solution, allowing to ignore the not-requested modality, would
be much more effective.

- In hotword recognition, START-OF-INPUT event is never generated, so
VoiceXML client receives RECOGNITION-COMPLETE event only, and if result
is not conform to inputmodes property it can only raise an error event
(nomatch, noinput or others)

- When external grammars are involved in VoiceXML pages, VoiceXML client
might not to know whether they accept vocal or dtmf input: it cannot
activates grammars according to inputmode property.

These are not conforming to VoiceXML specification:

6.3.6 Miscellaneous Properties
inputmodes 
This property determines which input modality to use. The input modes to
enable: dtmf and voice. On platforms that support both modes, inputmodes
defaults to "dtmf voice". To disable speech recognition, set inputmodes
to "dtmf". To disable DTMF, set it to "voice". One use for this would be
to turn off speech recognition in noisy environments. Another would be
to conserve speech recognition resources by turning them off where the
input is always expected to be DTMF. This property does not control the
activation of grammars. For instance, voice-only grammars may be active
when the inputmode is restricted to DTMF. Those grammars would not be
matched, however, because the voice input modality is not active.

For these reasons, we propose to add a new Recog-only header:

Input Mode

   This header MAY be sent as part of the RECOGNIZE request in order to
   determines which input modality to use. It can assume following
values: 
   "voice": dtmf input will be ignored from server
   "dtmf": speech input will be ignored from server
   "all": both dtmf and speech input will be analyzed from server. This
is
   the default value if header is not specified

   input-mode         =  "Input-Mode" ":"  modes CRLF
   modes              =  "voice" / "dtmf" / "all"

Alternatively, it is possible to reuse and extend the input type header,

in the following way:

Input Type

   When the recognizer detects barge-inable input and generates a START-
   OF-INPUT event, that event MUST carry this header field to specify
   where the input that caused the barge-in was DTMF or speech. 
  
   This header MAY also be sent as part of the RECOGNIZE request in
order to
   determines which input modality to use. If its value is 'speech',
dtmf
   input will be ignored from server. If its value is 'dtmf', speech
   input will be ignored from server. If its value is 'all', both dtmf
and
   speech input will be analyzed from server. If not specified, it
defaults
   to 'all'.

   input-type         =  "Input-Type" ":"  inputs CRLF
   inputs             =  "speech" / "dtmf" / "all"

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]. Thank you<http://www.loquendo.com>www.loquendo.com
================================================

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc