Subject: RE: [speechsc] Accurate determination of START-OF-INPUT time

From: "Andrew Wahbe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:19:13 -0700

I agree that this is useful. I can also think of many instances where an
accurate determination of the "end of input" time would be useful as
well. We should consider if the emma:start and emma:end attributes are
sufficient though. Or do you think there is a reason to have this
information (well the start time) before the recognition completes?

________________________________

From: Dave Burke [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: July 6, 2006 7:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [speechsc] Accurate determination of START-OF-INPUT time

It is useful to know the START-OF-INPUT time in many speech applications
(e.g. to be able to resume from where one left off or to offset from the
point of barge-in, e.g. "skip forward two seconds"). While this can be
*estimated* from the time of receipt of the event, it 's accuracy is
subject to network transit times.  We've got an NTP timestamp for
SPEECH-MARKER and I believe we should also have one for START-OF-INPUT.
Note that, implementation of VoiceXML's marktime requires one subtract
the last SPEECH-MARKER time from the START-OF-INPUT time.
 
We could simply add a ;timestamp attribute to Input-Type a la
Speech-Marker. 
 
Dave
_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: Corby Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:59:11 -0700

Yes, yes, very useful!

Two things:

1) Consider a client and server that have poor time synchronization.  
The client wouldn't be able to make much sense of the server's absolute 
timestamp.  Would it be possible to also provide an absolute timestamp 
of the start of audio (from the server's perspective) so that the client 
could determine with certainty how far in to the audio sample the start 
of speech occurred?

2) What about audio samples provided by input-waveform-uri?  In our 
case, we're much more interested in the sample offset where start and 
end of speech occured; not so much interested in the absolute time when 
they occurred.

Corby Anderson
Tellme Networks, Inc.

Andrew Wahbe wrote:
> I agree that this is useful. I can also think of many instances where 
> an accurate determination of the "end of input" time would be useful 
> as well. We should consider if the emma:start and emma:end attributes 
> are sufficient though. Or do you think there is a reason to have this 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Dave Burke [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* July 6, 2006 7:01 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [speechsc] Accurate determination of START-OF-INPUT time
>
> It is useful to know the START-OF-INPUT time in many speech 
> applications (e.g. to be able to resume from where one left off or to 
> offset from the point of barge-in, e.g. "skip forward two seconds"). 
> While this can be *estimated* from the time of receipt of the event, 
> it 's accuracy is subject to network transit times.  We've got an NTP 
> timestamp for SPEECH-MARKER and I believe we should also have one for 
> START-OF-INPUT. Note that, implementation of VoiceXML's marktime 
> requires one subtract the last SPEECH-MARKER time from 
> the START-OF-INPUT time.
>  
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>