Subject: [Speechsc] proposed change to MRCP V2 draft 12

From: "Judith Markowitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:51:05 -0500

The introduction of Section 11 says

Speaker identification identifies the speaker among a set of users by
   matching against a set of voiceprints.  (This function is also called
   Multi-Verification).  Speaker identification can be performed on a
   small set of users or for a large population.  This capability is
   useful for applications where multiple users share the same access
   privileges to some data or application, but where the individual
   speaker must be uniquely identified from the group.  It is also
   useful for real time or post processing of recorded content to
   ascertain who was speaking when.  Speaker identification is also done
   in two phases, a designation phase and an execution phase.

This is incorrect. 

The definition of speaker identification should be 

Speaker identification is a biometric modality that uses an individual's
speech for identification without a claimed identity (see identity claim).
Identification is a task where the biometric system searches a database for
a reference model matching a submitted biometric sample (processed voice
sample) and if found, returns a corresponding identity.  A processed voice
sample is collected and compared to all the reference models in a database.
See Open Set and Closed Set definitions for more specifics.  Identification
is also referred to as one-to-many matching.  

Speaker identification is NOT a kind of multi-verification. It never
includes a claim of identity. Only speaker verification and variants of
speaker verifications, such as group authentication involve a claim of
identity. This is a significant difference that is fundamental to the
operation of all biometrics..  

The definition of speaker verification should be

Speaker verification is a biometric modality that uses an individual's
speech for verification of a claimed identity.  Verification is a task where
the biometric system uses an identity claim for reference matching against a
submitted biometric sample (processed voice sample) and if matched returns a
positive verification.  A processed voice sample is collected and compared
to one reference model or a small group of reference models in a database.
See identity claim for examples.  Verification is also referred to as
one-to-one matching.

The definition of group authentication/multi-verification should be 

A special case of verification where an identity claim is made which
pertains to a group. A biometric system uses a group of records in a
database for reference matching against a submitted biometric sample
(processed voice sample) and if matched returns a positive verification.
Also referred to as multi-verification.  The term small set or small group
identification has been used improperly as a synonym for group
authentication in the past.  See closed set identification for a definition
of small set identification

These definitions come from the soon-to-be-published SIV Glossary that the
VoiceXML Forum's Speaker Biometrics Committee and correspond to definitions
in biometric sources. 

I don't think these changes will affect the functionality of MRCP - mostly
because the specification focuses primarily on verification. That is
reasonable since most applications are verification ones as well. 

Judith Markowitz, Co-chair, VoiceXML Speaker Biometrics Group

J. Markowitz, Consultants

5801 N. Sheridan Rd, #19A

Chicago, IL 60660

773-769-9243

[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc
Supplemental web site:
&lt;http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/speechsc&gt;

---

From: Qiru Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 18:14:14 -0400

Scientifically, the definitions of SI and SV are very clear and simple:

SV is the process of verifying whether an unknown speaker is the person
as claimed; i.e., a yes-no hypothesis testing problem.

SI is the process of associating an unknown speaker with a member in
a population; i.e., a multiple-choice classification problem.

The above definitions come from our publication and previous work cited
in the references of the article:
"Recent advancements in automatic speaker authentication"
Qi Li Biing-Hwang Juang Chin-Hui Lee Qiru Zhou Soong, F.K.
Lucent Technol., AT&T Bell Labs., Murray Hill, NJ, USA; Mar. 1999

SV technologies may be used for SI such as use multiple speaker verification
processes to identify if a speaker is in scope. I guess this is the phrase
multi-verification came from (I am not familiar with it). But this is 
implementation
issue.

Since MRCP is for communication engineering than science. I think the 
document need
some tuning on definition to address different audiences than researchers.

-- Qiru Zhou

Judith Markowitz wrote:
> Speaker identification is a biometric modality that uses an 
> individual’s speech for identification *without* a /claimed identity 
> (see identity claim)/. Identification is a task where the biometric 
> system searches a database for a reference model /matching/ a 
> submitted biometric sample (processed voice sample) and if found, 
> returns a corresponding identity. A processed voice sample is 
> collected and compared to all the reference models in a database. See 
> Open Set and Closed Set definitions for more specifics. Identification 
> includes a claim of identity. Only speaker verification and variants 
> of speaker verifications, such as group authentication involve a claim 
> of identity. This is a significant difference that is fundamental to 
> the operation of all biometrics..
>
> Speaker verification is a biometric modality that uses an individual’s 
> speech for verification of a claimed identity. Verification is a task 
> where the biometric system uses an/ identity claim/ for reference 
> /matching/ against a submitted biometric sample (processed voice 
> sample) and if matched returns a positive verification. A processed 
> voice sample is collected and compared to one reference model or a 
> small group of reference models in a database. See /identity claim/ 
> for examples. Verification is also referred to as one-to-one matching.
>
> (processed voice sample) and if matched returns a positive 
> verification. Also referred to as multi-verification. The term small 
> set or small group identification has been used improperly as a 
> synonym for group authentication in the past. See closed set 
> identification for a definition of small set identification
>
> These definitions come from the soon-to-be-published SIV Glossary that 
> the VoiceXML Forum’s Speaker Biometrics Committee and correspond to 
> definitions in biometric sources.
>
> I don’t think these changes will affect the functionality of MRCP – 
> mostly because the specification focuses primarily on verification. 
> That is reasonable since most applications are verification ones as well.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>