Subject: Re: [spfbis] WG comportment

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 02:36:59 -0700

Dear SPFBIS WG,

A Working Group Chair is concerned with making forward progress 
through a fair and open process, and has wide discretion in the 
conduct of WG business.  The Chair must ensure that a number of tasks 
are performed, either directly or by others assigned to the 
tasks.  The SPFBIS Working Group Chairs have ultimate responsibility 
for ensuring that this working group achieves forward progress and 
meets its milestones.  The SPFBIS Working Group Chairs are also 
responsible to ensure that the working group operates in an open and 
fair manner.  It is up to the SPFBIS Working Group Chairs to attempt 
to ensure that the discussions on this mailing list are relevant and 
that they converge to consensus agreements.

I rely on the understanding of working group participants to help in 
meeting the challenges faced by SPFBIS.  The challenges are not about 
draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis.  They are about how to avoid the direct 
personalization of a discussion and manage off-topic 
comments.  Andrew Sullivan posted a message about working group 
operation to this mailing list on February, 22 ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spfbis/current/msg00520.html 
).  I posted a message to this mailing list about inappropriate 
behavior on August 24 ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spfbis/current/msg02302.html ).

Abusive postings can be reported to the SPFBIS WG Chairs.  I suggest 
that you include an explanation in your report about what you 
consider as inappropriate or abusive together with a recommendation 
on what action to take.

I communicate directly with an individual if the matter affects the 
operation of SPFBIS.  All the parties involved are contacted; nobody 
is singled out.  It takes more than one person to have a 
controversial discussion.  As far as I am aware this working group is 
not a kindergarten.  It is not for me to determine who started it.

I have not discussed about this message with Andrew Sullivan.  I will 
request an explanation, with a copy of the message to the SPFBIS 
mailing list, if there is an off-topic comment.  If any working group 
participant is unhappy with this approach, it is entirely appropriate 
for the individual to contact Pete Resnick and ask for me to be fired 
as SPFBIS WG co-chair.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
SPFBIS WG co-chair