Subject: SPIRIT Architecture

From: "Slutsman, Lev A, ALSVC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:56:56 -0500

Members of SPIRITS WG:

Time flies, does not it?

As discussed at the SPIRITS meeting, we plan to issue an architectural
draft. 
Dave, Lawrence and I would like to start the work as soon as possible so
that we can have a draft by the end of February. 

I suggest that for now we all start with individual drafts reflecting 
the outline below. This outline is based on the Dave's original proposal
and, of course, subject to corrections introduced in a discussion. 
We plan to create the first version of the final I-D and submit it by March
15. That will give as opportunity to discuss the SPIRIT architecture in
Adeline.

Please let us know if you plan to co-author the future Informational
RFC.

Best regards,
Lev

OUTLINE

"On SPIRIT Architecture"
Abstract
1. Introduction
  a. Pre-Spirit Implementations as a precursor to the SPIRIT Architecture.
  b. Milestone Services
  c. SPITI Architecture Requirements
2. Functional Architecture
a. We already have some documented pieces of the SPIRIT architecture. Make
sure that:
   1.It sufficient for milestone services
   Extendable and scalable.
  b.  Make Sure we appropriately terminate all the info supplied by DPs,
  c. Also make sure that, if necessary, we can return to an appropriate PIC
in the IN BCSM.
3. Physical Architecture
  Our recommendation, and examples of physical Architecture.
4. Initial thoughts on SPIRIT protocol
Based on both "milestone services" and the architecture, basic the basic
requirements for the SPRIT protocol.
   This is precursor to a separate protocol requirement document.
5. Security Considerations
   Provide the initial thoughts on the security as imposed by the committed
architecture.
   The detail security requirements would be formulated in the protocol
draft.
6. Management
   Management considerations due to the architectural solutions.
7. Abbreviations
8. Acknowledgements
9. References
Authors' Addresses

---

From: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 17:34:40 -0500

Lev,

I almost completely agree with your outline. My only comment is that the section
that deals with the implementations is perhaps superflous in view of another
Informational RFC that deals with the implementations.

I have  re-issued last week the draft co-authored with Hui-Lan, you, and Mark
unchanged so that it ends up on the SPIRITS page, but I think it is
straightforward for you and your editors' team to exctract things from there
that match the outline you proposed.

I am unaware of other drafts, but there was a little discussion on the list
regarding the present architecture. Perhaps it is worth re-starting it, and your
outline is a good reminder and stimulator.

With best regards,

Igor