Subject: Re: [SPIRITS] WG Last Call annoncement - Pre-SPIRITS Current Practice Document

From: "Dave Hewins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:03:58 +0100

Hello SPIRITS WG members,

I work for Marconi and have been following your SPIRITS work.  I have put
together a few comments on the Pre-SPIRITS Current Practice Document which may
be of interest.

      Comments on Pre-SPIRITS implementations of PSTN initiated Services.
                                       .
Comments/ requests for clarification:

1.   On page 2 in bullet item 2 mentions an NEC plan to support SIP, but it is
not clear if the intention is to support  SIP or PINT SIP, or a SPIRITS SIP,
could this be clarified.  A clarification needs adding to the bullet point on
whether a SPIRITS SIP will be an extension of SIP or an extension of the PINT
SIP.

2.   On page 3 under the bullet item "have the call handled as specified" the
original source for the features described would seem to have been the Lucent
paper.  That paper included "intelligent profiles" and "number withheld" call
disposition, however those two features are missing from the ICW service
description.  Would it be possible to add these two features back in, for
completeness.

3.   Page 9 is now the only page that has the legends for the KT flow diagrams,
there are 5 such flow diagrams.  The original legend per diagram was clearer;
add these legends back in on a per diagram basis, for clarity during reading.

4.   On pages 13 to 15, it is not made clear that the existing internet
connection/phone call is cleared down before the new incoming call is connected
and hence it is not clear how the modem is dropped out. Add some clarification
to the section on the clear down of the original call.

5.   On page 31 in bullet items 1 and 2,  two messages are described which are
dealing with compatibility issues related to client/server software versions.
But the way these two items are described it seems that the client software on
the PC checking to see if it is more up to date than the software on the server.
Could this be clarified, in response to the request it is expected that the
server software would be checking the client software.  If this is  correct
perhaps the following wording may be clearer:

·    VersionInfo (ICW client -> SPIRITS server)

      Indicate the current version of ICW client software.  The SPIRITS server
      uses this information to determine if the client software is out of date.

·    VersionInfoAck (SPIRITS server -> ICW client)

      If the VersionInfo message from an ICW client indicates to a SPIRITS
      server that it is an out of date version, the URL information is returned
      within the VersionInfoAck to for use in downloading the newer version.

   Also if the current version of the ICW client software is up to date what is
   returned in the VersionInfoAck message, is the message sent even if there is
   no new client software to down load?  Or is the message actually returned as
   a confirmation that the client software is up to date? Please clarify.

6.   On page 31 bullet item 6, the Calling party name is sent in 15 character
format,  but if not available a 16 character message "Name Unavailable" is sent.
How does this work? Please clarify; is an error code specified?

7.   On page 33, 1st para. This is marketing and not a technical description.
Delete 1st paragraph or reword the 1st sentence as it is to boastful; try "The
Telia/Nortel system aims to allow service providers to develop the services
mentioned."

8.   Page 33 2nd para sentence 2, is there such a word as "disrtibutivity"
perhaps a rewording would help? Possibly as follows:  "The features of SIP that
allow distributed functioning enable these servers to be hosted, ...."

9.   Page 33 section 6.2 para 2, last sentence, the original contributed text
made more sense, suggest replacing "The specific depends on what service
triggers are being used in the GSM network." with " The specific way to behave
depends on what service triggers are being used in the GSM network.".

10.  Page 35 para 1 sentence 1see comment 7. This is marketing and not a
technical description. Suggest delete or reword.

11.  General, there seems to be 2 versions or the abbreviation "CSN" used in
this RFC, clarity would be improved if an abbreviations section was included and
some means of indicating which CSN was being discussed.

12.  All 4 pre-SPIRITS implementations talk about SPIRITS servers etc.  but if
these descriptions are about pre SPIRITS implementations then the servers could
not be SPIRITS servers because there is not standardised interface etc yet.  So
are these implementations really pre SPIRITS implementations or SPIRITS
prototypes/experiments based on ideas discussed at the SPIRITS WG and
implemented prior to any standardisation.  Could we have clarification on the
definition of a SPIRITS server or SPIRITS prototype server indicated for each
described implementation.

Editorial only comments:

1.   Page 1, 2nd line of Abstract, replace: "The Services in the PSTN/IN" with "
the Services in the PSTN/IN". Also in the 3rd sentence change " SPIRITS-like
services are those involved the interactions... " to " SPIRITS-like services
are those involved in the interactions ...".

2.   Page 7, section 3.4.2 1st bullet point sentence 2 replace: " With the
method, the ICW... " with " With this method, the ICW... ".

3.   Page 21, para 1, 2nd sentence replace: " ...OCC SCP SPA based on the
Termination Attemp Trigger..." with " ...OCC SCP SPA based on the Termination
Attempt Trigger.. ".  Also on page 24.

4.   Page 33, section 6.2, para 1, 2nd sentence replace: "...isnot... " with
"...is not... ".

Regards,

Dave Hewins
Marconi
NBS
Discovery Court
Poole
Dorset
UK

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

---

From: Hui-Lan Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:52:35 -0400

Dave,

Thanks for reading the draft and commenting. My response to some of your
comments follows.

> whether a SPIRITS SIP will be an extension of SIP or an extension of the PINT

I would think the version of SIP that NEC plans to support is the one that is
enhanced to support SPIRITS services. NEC authors please confirm it.

> description.  Would it be possible to add these two features back in, for

The bullet on "automatic incoming call disposition" is meant to cover the two
features described in Lucent's OCC draft. I guess it is not detailed enough and
would be happy to expand it.

> add these legends back in on a per diagram basis, for clarity during reading.

There is a slight complication. Ms. Rhim requested to delete Section 3.5 in the
revised version. I would be happy to include the legend in all the flow diagrams
if Ms. Rhim agrees to keep that section. Personally I find them very useful.

>    a confirmation that the client software is up to date? Please clarify.

NEC, please comment.

> How does this work? Please clarify; is an error code specified?

NEC, please comment.

> Telia/Nortel system aims to allow service providers to develop the services

Telia/Nortel, please comment.

> allow distributed functioning enable these servers to be hosted, ...."

Telia/Nortel, please comment.
 
> depends on what service triggers are being used in the GSM network.".

Point taken.

> technical description. Suggest delete or reword.

Telia/Nortel, please comment.
 
> some means of indicating which CSN was being discussed.

I will add a section on abbreviations in the revised version.
 
> described implementation.

The definition of a SPIRITS server is yet to be defined by the SPIRITS WG. In
this draft the term should be read with the context where it is used. I can add
this clarification in the beginning of the draft if it helps.

Regards,
Hui-Lan Lu

---

From: Hui-Lan Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:02:22 -0400

There is no complication as mentioned earlier after all. I misunderstood Ms.
Rhim's original request, which is to delete just the detail on SIP exchanges in
Section 3.5. So all flow diagrams should have a legend in the revised version of
the draft.

Hui-Lan

---

From: Shinji Ago <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:33:58 +0900

"Hui-Lan" == Hui-Lan Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

 |Dave,
 |Thanks for reading the draft and commenting. My response to some of your
 |comments follows.

 ||1.   On page 2 in bullet item 2 mentions an NEC plan to support SIP, but it is
 ||not clear if the intention is to support  SIP or PINT SIP, or a SPIRITS SIP,
 ||could this be clarified.  A clarification needs adding to the bullet point on
 ||whether a SPIRITS SIP will be an extension of SIP or an extension of the PINT
 ||SIP.

 |I would think the version of SIP that NEC plans to support is the one that is
 |enhanced to support SPIRITS services. NEC authors please confirm it.

Yes. My intention is to support a SPIRITS SIP which is enhanced and
extended to support SPIRITS services by NEC.

 ||5.   On page 31 in bullet items 1 and 2,  two messages are described which are
 ||dealing with compatibility issues related to client/server software versions.
 ||But the way these two items are described it seems that the client software on
 ||the PC checking to see if it is more up to date than the software on the server.
 ||Could this be clarified, in response to the request it is expected that the
 ||server software would be checking the client software.  If this is  correct
 ||perhaps the following wording may be clearer:
 ||
 ||,A7(B    VersionInfo (ICW client -> SPIRITS server)
 ||
 ||Indicate the current version of ICW client software.  The SPIRITS server
 ||uses this information to determine if the client software is out of date.
 ||
 ||,A7(B    VersionInfoAck (SPIRITS server -> ICW client)
 ||
 ||If the VersionInfo message from an ICW client indicates to a SPIRITS
 ||server that it is an out of date version, the URL information is returned
 ||within the VersionInfoAck to for use in downloading the newer version.
 ||

Thank you for your rewriting which is more clearer. I accept these
replacement.

 ||Also if the current version of the ICW client software is up to date what is
 ||returned in the VersionInfoAck message, is the message sent even if there is
 ||no new client software to down load?  Or is the message actually returned as
 ||a confirmation that the client software is up to date? Please clarify.

 |NEC, please comment.

VersionInfoAck will be returned even if there is no new client
software. In this case, the message includes the indication which the
client software is up to date, and no URL information is included.

 ||6.   On page 31 bullet item 6, the Calling party name is sent in 15 character
 ||format,  but if not available a 16 character message "Name Unavailable" is sent.
 ||How does this work? Please clarify; is an error code specified?

 |NEC, please comment.

This 15 character limitation derived from existing database scheme
which is defined in the SPIRITS server. This does not mean the
limitation for the CallingName message length between the SPIRITS
server and the ICW client software. So if the CallingName is
available, the SPIRITS server should send to the ICW Client with 15
character length. The client software will compare the the
Callingname with "Name Unavailable"  and "" to identify whether the
Calling Name is available or not.

*** Shinji Ago
*** 1st Software Development Department
*** Fundamental Software Engineering Division
*** NEC Corporation
*** [email-masked]       (Office Address)
*** (Tel)+81-471-85-7412 (Fax)+81-471-85-7930

---

From: Ȳ���� <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:14:08 +0900

Dear chairman of Multimedia coordination group of Internet related session in ASTAP
forum,

Good afternoon !

I would like to know the session schedule and how much time is arranged for each
presentation of contributor.

Is it reasonable for 5~10 minutes presentation of transparencies (O.H.P) ?

I hope to get your responses.

Thank you,

Best regards,

Jinkyung Hwang
Korea Telecom

---

From: Ȳ���� <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:32:39 +0900

I am terribly sorry for the following mis-destined mail.
Please ignore it.
I am sorry again..

Jinkyung Hwang