Subject: [SPIRITS] State of the WG

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:47:01 -0500

Dear Good SPIRITED listmates,

The best way to assess the status of the WG is to look how well it is
adhering to its Charter and completing its milestones. Let us take a
look at the SPIRITS milestones progress:

On August 14 the  I-D "Pre-Spirits Implementations of PSTN-initiated
Services", <draft-ietf-spirits-implementations-01.txt>, our first
milestone, was submited for the IESG approval of its publication as an
Informational RFC.
Congratulations to H. Lu (Editor), I. Faynberg, J. Voelker, M. Weissman,
W. Zhang, S. Rhim, J. Hwang, S. Ago, S. Moeenuddin, S. Hadvani, S.
Nyckelgard, J. Yoakum, L. Robart ! (the names are listed here in the
order they appear in the I-D).
Currently, Hui-Lan is making editorial changes, incorporating AD's
comments, and is preparing the second iteration submission to the IESG.

As a result of our Pittsburgh meeting two architectural proposals: Lev
Slutsman/Igor Faynberg/Jorge Gato and Jörgen Björkner/Sören Nyckelgård
are good candidates for merge. Two parties are working together and will
publish the proposed SPIRITS Architecture on this list for review.

Being driven by converging SPIRITS Architecture there is a set of
SPIRITS Protocol Requirements that is beginning to emerge. Igor
Faynberg, Jorge Gato, Jörgen Björkner and Sören Nyckelgård are leading
this work.

Also, as a result of the Pittsburgh meeting, there are signs that many
of the SPIRITS protocol requirements (interoperability with PINT and IN,
utilizing existing and proven protocol, etc.) are pointing in the SIP
direction. As we said at the meeting, we do not have to agree on SIP at
this moment, however, it is a good item for discussion on this list.

Kind regards,
Steve and Alec

P.S. Igor and Jorge have recently started a very interesting discussion
on CAMEL DPs in SPIRITS.