Subject: [SPIRITS] Representing non-call related events

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:55:25 -0600

Folks:

I want to start a discussion about how to best represent non-call
related events in the SPIRITS XML payload.

Non-call related events include those concerned with mobility,
location, SMS, etc.  Note that no DP is involved here; in fact,
SPIRITS has a Event token called 'spirits-user-prof' for these
types of events.

One way to represent these events to have a specific element
called <SUP> for such SUPplementary services.  Thus, in order
to transform a SMS into an IM, the SUBSCRIBE payload could
conceivably contain:

     <spirits-event>
          <SUP app="SMS"/>
          <Mode>Notify</Mode>
          <CallingPartySubaddress>16302240216</CallingPartySubaddress>
     </spirits-event>

However, that puts us in the dubious position of specifying all
the possible supplementary services in SPIRITS -- which is
definitely NOT what we want to do.  One way to combat that problem
is to say that the value of "app" attribute is a token, the details
and semantics of which are dependent on the token.

How do we handle location?  Maybe we can scour geopriv for some
answers (see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-05.txt)
as well as Daniel Moreno's draft on mobility events management
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spirits-mobility-00.txt)

Any other ideas?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits