Subject: [SPIRITS] Re: [Simple] New I-D on presence states for phones

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:02:46 -0500

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> In case folks havent seen it, I wanted to call your attention to:
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-peterson-simple-pidf-phone-00.txt 
> 
> http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rp-simple-pidf-phone-00.txt
> http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rp-simple-pidf-phone-00.html
> 
> This draft, written by Jon and myself, defines some PIDF extensions for 
> describing phones, including traditional "black" phones, wireless phones 
> and enterprise phones. I think these will provide invaluable for a 
> device-centric view of a presentity.
> 
> Comments and questions welcome.

Jonathan:

Generally, you describe what sort of presence information to offer
without going into the details of *how* the presence information
is actually generated in the first place.  There are strong
synergies here in the work we are finishing up in SPIRITS WG.  The
SPIRITS protocol I-D
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spirits-protocol-05.txt), 
which is now complete, provides the primitives on the how part
for wirless and wireline networks.  I think a cross reference to
this I-D may give the reader a better overall picture.

I have published an individual I-D on the implementation of presence
information for POTS phones using SPIRITS
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-spirits-implementation-00.txt).
Your phone-state extensions to PIDF provide a richer set of
information.  In our initial implementation, we simply used an
XML extension to indicate how long a phone user has been in a
call.

Your I-D can refer to the work in the SPIRITS protocol I-D, especially
in Sections 1 (Introduction), 3 (POTS Line State) and 5 (Wireless
Phone State).  I'd be more than glad to work with you to see how to
best tie up the work going on in the SPIRITS WG and SIMPLE for
presence on phone lines.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
SPIRITS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/spirits

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:00:41 -0400

inline.

> is actually generated in the first place. 

Right. There are LOTS of ways. SPIRITS is one of them, but definitely 
not the only one. The information in the presence document exists 
across a bunch of different PSTN elements, including HLRs, VLRs, MSCs, 
  etc.

  There are strong
> this I-D may give the reader a better overall picture.

OK, I will add a reference in the next revision (assuming there is one).

> XML extension to indicate how long a phone user has been in a

I think the rpids "from" element would work well for that.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com