Subject: [spring] I-D Action: draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 16:11:48 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Source Packet Routing in Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Path Segment in MPLS Based Segment Routing Network
        Authors         : Weiqiang Cheng
                          Han Li
                          Mach(Guoyi) Chen
                          Rakesh Gandhi
                          Royi Zigler
	Filename        : draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2019-09-16

Abstract:
   A Segment Routing (SR) path is identified by an SR segment list.
   Only the full segment list identifies the full end-to-end path, and
   one segment or a partial set of segments from the list cannot
   identify the SR path and distinguish it from other SR paths that may
   be partially congruent.  But path identification is a pre-requisite
   for various use-cases such as performance measurement (PM) of an SR
   path.

   In SR for MPLS (SR-MPLS) the segment identifiers are stripped from
   the packet through label popping as the packet transits the network.
   This means that when a packet reaches the egress of the SR path, it
   is not possible to determine on which SR path it traversed the
   network.

   This document defines a new type of segment that is referred to as
   Path Segment, which is used to identify an SR path in an SR-MPLS
   network.  When used, it is inserted at the ingress node of the SR
   path and immediately follows the last segment identifier in the
   segment list of the SR path.  The Path Segment will not be popped off
   until it reaches the egress node of the SR path.

   A Path Segment can be used by the egress node to implement path
   identification hence to support various use-cases including SR path
   PM, end-to-end 1+1 SR path protection, and bidirectional SR paths
   correlation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/