Subject: [spring] Protocol Action: 'SRv6 Network Programming' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-28.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 07:16:07 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'SRv6 Network Programming'
  (draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-28.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Source Packet Routing in Networking
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Deborah Brungard and Martin
Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming/

Technical Summary

   The SRv6 Network Programming framework enables a network operator or
   an application to specify a packet processing program by encoding a
   sequence of instructions in the IPv6 packet header.

   Each instruction is implemented on one or several nodes in the
   network and identified by an SRv6 Segment Identifier in the packet.

   This document defines the SRv6 Network Programming concept and
   specifies the base set of SRv6 behaviors that enables the creation of
   interoperable overlays with underlay optimization (Service Level
   Agreements).

Working Group Summary

This document is a foundation for SRv6. It has been largely reviewed, commented and supported.
There is a strong controversy regarding the Penultimate Segment Pop (PSP) flavor which allows an IPv6 source node to instruct the penultimate SRv6 EndPoint (identified, in the IPv6 header, by its IPv6 address) to remove the SRH from the IPv6 packet before the packet reach the final IPv6 destination (the Ultimate SRv6 EndPoint). The consensus to keep that section was particularly rough.

An Appeal to the IESG regarding WGLC of draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming was made: https://www6.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/gont-2020-04-22.txt

Document Quality

The specification has multiple implementations, deployments and interop tests.
In particular: 
- There are multiple hardware and software implementations. Some are reported in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status-06#section-4
- There are multiple deployments. Some are reported in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status-06#section-2
- There have been multiple public interoperability tests https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status-06#section-5

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd was first Bruno Decraene and then Joel Halpern
   The Responsible Area Director is Martin Vigoureux.

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 12:21:45 -0500

Congratulations to the working group, and many thanks to the authors for 
their consistent and prompt efforts to address the comments from the IESG.

Yours,
Joel

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Protocol Action: 'SRv6 Network Programming' to Proposed 
Standard (draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-28.txt)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 07:16:07 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: Bruno Decraene <[email-masked]>, Joel Halpern 
<[email-masked]>, The IESG <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

Technical Summary

Working Group Summary

This document is a foundation for SRv6. It has been largely reviewed, 
commented and supported.
There is a strong controversy regarding the Penultimate Segment Pop 
(PSP) flavor which allows an IPv6 source node to instruct the 
penultimate SRv6 EndPoint (identified, in the IPv6 header, by its IPv6 
address) to remove the SRH from the IPv6 packet before the packet reach 
the final IPv6 destination (the Ultimate SRv6 EndPoint). The consensus 
to keep that section was particularly rough.

An Appeal to the IESG regarding WGLC of 
draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming was made: 
https://www6.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/gont-2020-04-22.txt

Document Quality

The specification has multiple implementations, deployments and interop 
tests.
In particular: - There are multiple hardware and software 
implementations. Some are reported in 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status-06#section-4
- There are multiple deployments. Some are reported in 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status-06#section-2
- There have been multiple public interoperability tests 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status-06#section-5

Personnel

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 08:52:12 +0800

Congratulations！！！

Best Regards,
Zhenqiang Li

[email-masked]
 
From: Joel M. Halpern
Date: 2021-01-07 01:21
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [spring] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'SRv6 Network Programming' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-28.txt)
Congratulations to the working group, and many thanks to the authors for 
their consistent and prompt efforts to address the comments from the IESG.
 
Yours,
Joel

-------- Forwarded Message --------

 

 

Technical Summary

 
 
Working Group Summary

 
Document Quality

Personnel

_______________________________________________
spring mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spring