Subject: [spring] Whether the Point-to-multipoint requirement is in scope of SPRING?

From: "Weiqiang Cheng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:06:43 +0800

Hi Chairs and group,

SRCOMP design team is discussing the Point-to-multipoint requirement for SR
compression as text below. 

But we observed that the SPRING charter did not mention point-to-multipoint
content. 

One question for SPRING WG:

Whether the Point-to-multipoint requirement is in scope of SPRING?

===

Short Name: Point-to-Multipoint

   Description: The compression mechanism SHOULD support point-to-

   multipoint SR paths.

   Rationale: Many VPN services require point-to-multipoint SR paths.

   Metric: A compliant proposal can encode a multicast address in the

   ultimate segment of the segment list.

B.R.

Weiqiang Cheng on behalf of SRCOMP DT

---

From: Rishabh Parekh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:41:02 -0800

Weiqiang,
Text quoted below from the SPRING charter indirectly covers
Point-to-Multipoint requirement which is addressed by SR Replication
Segment draft
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-sr-replication-segment/ .

New types of segments mapping to forwarding behaviour (e.g., local
ingress replication, local forwarding resources, a pre-existing
replication structure) if needed for new usages.

For the Point-to-Multipoint compression requirement, what exactly is
"multicast address" in the Metric? Is this an IPv6 multicast address? If
so, it really does not conform to SRv6 data plane.

I would rather consider the SRv6 Replication SID, described in the latest
version of SR Replication segment draft, to be the Metric for measuring
P2MP requirement. Maybe we should also consider adding it to SRv6
Functionality Section 4.2.1 of the compression requirements draft.

-Rishabh

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 6:07 PM Weiqiang Cheng <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Chairs and group,
>
>
>
> SRCOMP design team is discussing the Point-to-multipoint requirement for
> SR compression as text below.
>
> But we observed that the SPRING charter did not mention
> point-to-multipoint content.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> spring mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spring
>