Subject: [spring] RFC 9087 on Segment Routing Centralized BGP Egress Peer Engineering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9087

        Title:      Segment Routing Centralized BGP Egress 
                    Peer Engineering 
        Author:     C. Filsfils, Ed.,
                    S. Previdi,
                    G. Dawra, Ed.,
                    E. Aries,
                    D. Afanasiev
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-central-epe-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9087

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9087

Segment Routing (SR) leverages source routing. A node steers a packet
through a controlled set of instructions, called segments, by
prepending the packet with an SR header. A segment can represent any
instruction, topological or service based. SR allows for the
enforcement of a flow through any topological path while maintaining
per-flow state only at the ingress node of the SR domain.

The Segment Routing architecture can be directly applied to the MPLS
data plane with no change on the forwarding plane. It requires a
minor extension to the existing link-state routing protocols.

This document illustrates the application of Segment Routing to solve
the BGP Egress Peer Engineering (BGP-EPE) requirement. The SR-based
BGP-EPE solution allows a centralized (Software-Defined Networking,
or SDN) controller to program any egress peer policy at ingress
border routers or at hosts within the domain.

This document is a product of the Source Packet Routing in Networking Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC