Subject: [spring] Erik Kline's No Objection on draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy-16: (with COMMENT)

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:10:30 -0800

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy-16: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[S1; nit]

* The sentence starting with "While" appears to be sentence fragment.

  perhaps just: ".  While" -> ", while"

[S2.1; nit]

* s/null address/unspecified address/

* s/comprising of/comprising/  (though see UTF-8 comment below)

[S2.1, 2.6; comment]

* It seems unnecessarily restrictive to require names be in ASCII.  How
  about RFC 5198/UTF-8?  If these names are purely for human consumption
  anyway, I wonder if isn't best to allow the humans to name things in
  their native language(s)... (I'm not sure if BCP 18 applies here.)

[S4; question]

* For each of the uses of "IPv4 Prefix" and "IPv6 Global Prefix" should
  there be an additional "Unicast" qualifier before "Prefix"?  If multicast
  prefixes are acceptable or understand (somehow) to be out of scope, then
  no worries.

[S8; nit]

* s/of where come/of which some/?

---

From: Ketan Talaulikar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:44:49 +0530

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your review and please check inline below for responses. We will
include these changes in the next update.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy/

KT> Ack

> * s/comprising of/comprising/  (though see UTF-8 comment below)

KT> Ack

>   their native language(s)... (I'm not sure if BCP 18 applies here.)

KT> These names are also signaled via routing protocols such as BGP and
PCEP. This point did come up for discussion in the WGs (
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spring/Wj3eNx_EBHtDrYVYTCYIlJ2Yq_w/)
and it was decided to stick to printable ASCII for consistency between the
protocols and architecture specs.

>   prefixes are acceptable or understand (somehow) to be out of scope, then
KT> The types defined in the document are all unicast since all of them are
either associated with a node (i.e. Prefix Segment) or associated with a
link address (i.e. Adjacency Segment). This does not preclude future
documents from introducing new types that use multicast addresses.

> * s/of where come/of which some/?

KT> Ack

Thanks,
Ketan