Subject: MLDv3 - Internet Draft

From: Vida Rolland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:30:19 +0100

Dear All,

The revised IPng Working Group Charter published on the 5th of October
on the mailing list of the IPng WG contained a call for contribution on
"Extending MLD to include functionality of IGMPv3".

Here is the abstract of an Internet Draft proposal, called "Multicast
Listener Discovery Version 3 (MLDv3) for IPv6"
(<draft-vida-mld-v3-00.txt>)

*************
Abstract:

  This document specifies Version 3 of the Multicast Listener Discovery
   protocol, MLDv3.  MLD is the protocol used by an IPv6 router to
   discover the presence of multicast listeners (that is, nodes wishing
   to receive multicast packets) on its directly attached links, and to
   discover specifically which multicast addresses are of interest to
   those neighboring nodes.

   MLDv3 is derived from version 3 of IPv4's Internet Group Management
   Protocol, IGMPv3.  Compared to the previous version, MLDv3 adds
   support for "source filtering", that is, the ability for a node to
   report interest in listening to packets *only* from specific source
   addresses, or from *all but* specific source addresses, sent to a
   particular multicast address.  That information may be used by
   multicast routing protocols to avoid delivering multicast packets
   from specific sources to links where there are no interested
   listeners.  When compared to IGMPv3, one important difference
   to note is that MLDv3 uses ICMPv6 (IP Protocol 58) message
   types, rather than IGMP (IP Protocol 2) message types.

************

The full text of the draft can be found at:
http://www-rp.lip6.fr/~vida/draft-vida-mld-v3-00.txt

We welcome any comments or suggestions on the text.

Best regards,

Rolland Vida,
LIP6, Paris, France.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
                         counts can be counted. " - Albert Einstein
Rolland Vida
Universite Paris VI "Pierre et Marie Curie"     tel: +33 (0)144 277 126
Laboratoire LIP6 - CNRS, C669                  fax: +33 (0)144 277 495
8, Rue de Capitaine Scott, 75015, Paris         mailto:[email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------