Subject: Re: [ssm] SSM and IPR

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:33:51 -0700

>Just browsing the IPR archive I noted Apple claiming possible IPR on 
>draft-ietf-ssm-arch-02:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/APPLE-SSM.txt
>
>Anyone looked at that?

Of course, a judge's interpretation is the only one that matters, but
my reading of the claims is that several of them could apply to SSM.
(It may apply to only 4-hop networks, and there's a typo in claim 3
which may invalidate claims 3 and 4 meaning that it would only apply
to 2-hop networks, but those are way too subtle calls for a non-lawyer
to make).

(Claims 5-17 don't seem to me to apply to SSM, since they all involve
the sender explicitly requesting something from the network)

  Bill
_______________________________________________
ssm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ssm

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:52:35 +0300 (EEST)

> the sender explicitly requesting something from the network)

As a matter of fact, most claims seem to mainly cover unicast-prefix 
-based addressing.  I could also see multicast address assignment 
protocols impacted.  I'm unsure of the SSM-specific claims as I fail to 
see them mention the use of the source address as an identifier.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings