Subject: [ssm] FYI: Updated SSM-capable applications

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 03:33:10 -0700

Some of you who are working with Source-Specific Multicast may be 
interested in new versions of several multicast applications, which I have 
recently updated to conform to the latest SSM-relevant Internet Drafts:

1/ SSM sending applications
	(i) When generating SDP descriptions, include appropriate
		a=source-filter: incl ...
	and
		a=rtcp: unicast reflection
	lines.
	(ii) Receive incoming RTCP Reception Reports via unicast, and 'reflect' them
	back to the group via multicast.

- "vobStreamer" (a DVD audio/video streaming tool): 
<http://www.live.com/vobStreamer/>
- "liveCaster" (a MP3 RTP streaming tool - SSM sending is optional): 
<http://www.live.com/liveCaster>
- "testMP3Streamer", "testMPEGVideoStreamer", "testMPEGAudioVideoStreamer" 
(various streaming test programs - SSM sending is optional): 
<http://www.live.com/liveMedia/>

2/ SSM receiving applications
	(i) Use the IP_ADD_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP and IP_DROP_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP 
"setsockopt()" calls (instead of the regular IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP and 
IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP, but falling back to using these if the *SOURCE* 
versions aren't supported).
	(ii) Send back RTCP Reception Reports via unicast rather than multicast.

- "MPlayer" (a media player - will use SSM if specified by RTSP and/or 
SDP): <http://www.live.com/mplayer/>
- The "in_rtp.dll" MP3/RTP plugin for Winamp: 
<http://www.live.com/multikit/winamp-plugin.html>
- "playRTPMPEG" (a MP3/RTP receiving tool): 
<http://www.live.com/multikit/playRTPMPEG.html>
- "testMP3Receiver", "testMPEGVideoReceiver" (various receiving test 
programs - SSM is optional): <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/>

	Ross.

_______________________________________________
ssm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ssm

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:48:17 -0700

At 05:17 AM 4/23/03, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>Is there any authentication applied to the unicast SSM rtcp reports, which
>can be used for a denial of service attacks ?

No, because there's no *general* way of doing this.  If anyone using this 
software wants to add in their own, application-specific mechanism for 
authenticating the validity of each incoming unicast Reception Report, 
before 'reflecting' it back to the group, then they can easily do so (in 
"liveMedia/RTCP.cpp").

         Ross.