Subject: [ssm] AD-review comments on draft-ietf-ssm-arch-04.txt

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:31:16 -0700

Folks-

 Please find attached my AD-review comments on the SSM architecture
 document.

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/

Generally the document is in a great shape. Very good job. I have one meta
issue and one editorial nit.

Meta:

 The document does not spell out what protocols hosts and routers MUST
 implement. I.e., this kind of document is expected to specify the
 mandatory-to-implement mechanisms that will ensure that hosts and routers can
 interoperate. However, there is no place in the document where it says
 something like "hosts supporting the SSM network service MUST implement IGMPv3
 for IPv4 and MLDv2 for IPv6", or "routers supporting the SSM network service
 MUST implement PIM-SSM..."

Editorial

 The following part:

> The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
> "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
> document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC 2119].

 should be moved inside the body of the document (preferably not in Abstract)

 Abstract:

> IP addresses in the 232/8 (232.0.0.0 to 232.255.255.255) range are
> designated as source-specific multicast (SSM) destination addresses and
> are reserved for use by source-specific applications and protocols.  For
> IP version 6 (IPv6), the address prefix FF3x::/32 is reserved for
> source-specific multicast use.  It defines an extension to the Internet
                                  ^^
                                needs to be expanded. "This document" ?

 Section "Intellectual Property Rights Notice". To reflect the situation
 with Apple, this section also needs to include the following paragraph
 from RFC 2026.

         "The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights
         claimed in regard to some or all of the specification contained
         in this document.  For more information consult the online list
         of claimed rights."

_______________________________________________
ssm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ssm