Subject: [Storagesync] Blogpost about Sync/Backup workshop at Redecentralize Conference

From: Michiel de Jong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:42:08 +0100

Thought some people on this list might find this blogpost from Francis
Irving interesting:

http://www.flourish.org/2015/11/syncbackup-workshop-at-redecentralize-conference/

Cheers,
Michiel.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 21:13:35 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Hi,

Until now, after reading previous email, several issues are still in my mind:

1.        The design targets of WebDAV, rsync and other existing approaches (are there any overlaps with ISS?)

2.        The potential use cases of ISS, such as client/server, git-like pattern, svn, etc. (is that enough for ISS?)

3.        The efficiency improvements might be the second goal for standardizing ISS protocol (I agree with that, but what is the first…?)

4.        CORS headers on storage sync APIs (sound interesting for me)

5.        Please correct me if there are still more.

Getting more people around, I think, will be benefit for ISS. Therefore, one or more specific topics might be helpful. For instant, exact use case and problem for ISS?

Fei Song

---

From: Linhui Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 14:41:51 +0800

Hi Fei,

2015-11-17 21:13 GMT+08:00 <[email-masked]>:

> 1.        The design targets of WebDAV, rsync and other existing
> approaches (are there any overlaps with ISS?)
>
For me, WebDAV and ISS are different in applicability. While a fact is that
many open source storage services are using WebDav to do the sync (e.g.
ownCloud) now. Need investigation here to find how they do that.

> 2.        The potential use cases of ISS, such as client/server, git-like
> pattern, svn, etc. (is that enough for ISS?)
>
IMO, the use case is not something like C/S or git way. These things sound
like mode/pattern which could be discussed later. Use cases might be
something more related to the requirements, please correct me if I am wrong
: )

Possible use cases of a generalized API or protocol in my mind:
1) User A is using Dropbox, User B is using GoogleDrive. If A shares a file
with B, they could work together on that file since then. Both A and B
could make changes to the shared file and also retrieve or delete the file
at any time.
2) User A has different services accounts, he could easily access all
different services through one client app and also easily transfer files
between different clouds.
3) Since network-based storage services could become the "data entrance",
many apps want to work together with such services. Developers of those
apps only need to interoperate with one generalized API to support all the
similar services.
4) Enterprises may desire to have a private storage service due to the
consideration of security and privacy. They could develop their own sync
storage services based on a standard API or protocol.

3.        The efficiency improvements might be the second goal for
> standardizing ISS protocol (I agree with that, but what is the first…?)
>
Maybe the interoperability? A generalized API or protocol to access all
services and allow sync cross the services.

> Getting more people around, I think, will be benefit for ISS. Therefore,
> one or more specific topics might be helpful. For instant, exact use case
> and problem for ISS?
>
>
>
> Fei Song
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Storagesync mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/storagesync
>
> Regards,
Linhui

---

From: "Fei Song" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:57:17 +0800

Hi Linhui and all,

Actually I sent last email just to summarize what we have discussed in this mailing list.
Did we miss anything in sync?

--------------
Fei Song

---

From: "Fei Song" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:10:43 +0800

Hi Linhui,

Thanks for your comments on “The potential use cases of ISS”

Based on your last email, it was considered from three perspectives.
1.	End users
2.	Developers
3.	Enterprises

I am thinking that whether ISP, ICP, CSP(cloud service provider) or other providers could also get benefits from ISS?

--------------
Fei Song

---

From: Linhui Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:42:08 +0800

Hi Fei,

2015-11-22 18:10 GMT+08:00 Fei Song <[email-masked]>:

> I am thinking that whether ISP, ICP, CSP(cloud service provider) or other
> providers could also get benefits from ISS?
>
I think the ISS might have little impact on ISP since it is more an
application layer problem, the ICP might potentially benefit since the data
exchange is promoted (not sure just a guess). For the CSPs, as discussed in
the BOF, the "interoperability" will let their data out but also let the
data in. IMO, the big players might not like this currently since they may
lose users. But it might be good for the remaining players or even the
whole industry if the end users are happy with this (in this way, the total
number of users are still increasing).

Comments are welcome : )

Regards,
Linhui

---

From: "Fei Song" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 13:15:06 +0800

Hi Linhui and all,

Please see my reply inline.

--------------
Fei Song
>number of users are still increasing).

+1

In ISS case, the traffic of ISP and ICP should not be changed drastically. 
However, with the cloud services stepping forward to the next level, 
the pattern of online storage might be changed, which may further influence the ISP and ICP.

For CSP, it will be touched for sure.

---

From: "Fei Song" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 13:18:44 +0800

So, can we pencil this with:

1.  End users
2.  Developers
3.  Enterprises
4.  CSPs

Any supplements? 

--------------
Fei Song