Subject: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 17:48:51 -0400

I thought I'd offer some advance planning/warning on this, as the consolidated
iSCSI draft (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons) is large (over 300 pages).  The current
plan is to run a simultaneous WG Last Call on both this draft and the new features
draft (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam) starting in mid-June (probably the week of
June 13, after I get back from a badly needed vacation).  That WG Last Call will
run longer than the typical 2-week time period, due to the total size of the
drafts, but will end by July 5th at the latest so that the status of the drafts
and the next steps are known prior to the T10 (SCSI standards) meetings during the
week of July 11.  As July 11th is also the draft cutoff deadline for the Quebec
City IETF meetings, revised draft versions may not show up until that meeting
week (week of July 24th).

This is also a good point to announce that the storm WG will meet in Quebec City.
I've only requested a 1-hour session, as we get most of our work done on the mailing
list.  Among the items for that meeting will be figuring out what to do with the
RDMA extensions draft (despite its name, draft-ietf-storm-rdmap-ext-00, it's not
currently an official work item for the storm WG).

One thing that's missing from the consolidated iSCSI draft (and is a reason why
we're going to need a -03 version) is the changes that it makes to the RFCs that
it consolidates.  Off the top of my head, the major changes are:
	- Removal of SPKM authentication
	- Removal of the Marker appendix
	- Removal of the SHOULD requirement for SLP implementation.
Have I missed anything significant?  The summary of this will need to be added
to that draft.

WG Last Call will be an opportunity (in fact the final opportunity) to discuss
whether anything else should be removed from iSCSI, but there's no need to wait
- I encourage people to review both drafts and post comments whenever they can.

In parallel, work will get started on any iSCSI MIB changes that are needed.  So
far, I only see one MIB change - the iSCSIProtocolLevel from the new features
draft needs to be added to the MIB, probably with a structure analogous to the
iSCSI version support that's already in the MIB.

Thanks,
--David (storm WG co-chair)
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:50:10 -0700

Hi David,

The list of changes you have called out are already done in the latest
draft.  I assume then that you are suggesting that the list itself should be
included in the next revision of the draft.  

Here's what I recall we have done so far:
1)  iSCSIProtocolLevel specified as "1", and added a related normative
reference to iSCSI-SAM draft
2)  Markers and related keys were removed
3)  SPKM authentication and related keys were removed
4)  Added a new section on responding to obsoleted keys 
5)  Have explicitly allowed initiator+target implementations throughout the
text
6)  Clarified that implementations SHOULD NOT rely on SLP-based discovery
7)  Added UML diagrams, and related conventions 

The above is of course in addition to consolidating the different RFCs, and
making the related editorial changes.

Thanks.

Mallikarjun

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
  Of [email-masked]
  Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 2:49 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work
  
  I thought I'd offer some advance planning/warning on this, as the
  consolidated iSCSI draft (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons) is large (over 300
  pages).  The current plan is to run a simultaneous WG Last Call on both
this
  draft and the new features draft (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam) starting in
mid-
  June (probably the week of June 13, after I get back from a badly needed
  vacation).  That WG Last Call will run longer than the typical 2-week time
  period, due to the total size of the drafts, but will end by July 5th at
the
  latest so that the status of the drafts and the next steps are known prior
to
  the T10 (SCSI standards) meetings during the week of July 11.  As July
11th
  is also the draft cutoff deadline for the Quebec City IETF meetings,
revised
  draft versions may not show up until that meeting week (week of July
  24th).
  
  This is also a good point to announce that the storm WG will meet in
  Quebec City.
  I've only requested a 1-hour session, as we get most of our work done on
  the mailing list.  Among the items for that meeting will be figuring out
what
  to do with the RDMA extensions draft (despite its name, draft-ietf-storm-
  rdmap-ext-00, it's not currently an official work item for the storm WG).
  
  One thing that's missing from the consolidated iSCSI draft (and is a
reason
  why we're going to need a -03 version) is the changes that it makes to the
  RFCs that it consolidates.  Off the top of my head, the major changes are:
  	- Removal of SPKM authentication
  	- Removal of the Marker appendix
  	- Removal of the SHOULD requirement for SLP implementation.
  Have I missed anything significant?  The summary of this will need to be
  added to that draft.
  
  WG Last Call will be an opportunity (in fact the final opportunity) to
discuss
  whether anything else should be removed from iSCSI, but there's no need
  to wait
  - I encourage people to review both drafts and post comments whenever
  they can.
  
  In parallel, work will get started on any iSCSI MIB changes that are
needed.
  So far, I only see one MIB change - the iSCSIProtocolLevel from the new
  features draft needs to be added to the MIB, probably with a structure
  analogous to the iSCSI version support that's already in the MIB.
  
  Thanks,
  
  _______________________________________________
  storm mailing list
  [email-masked]
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/storm

---

From: "Hemal Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:51:26 -0700

Mallikarjun and David,

I noticed one problematic item in the consolidated draft. This item is the requirement to support FastAbort. This feature was already defined in the implementation guide, but it was optional. In this draft, it became a required feature MUST - see in section 4.2.3.4.

Do you know why the requirement was changed in the consolidated draft?

I would like to keep the requirement optional as stated in the implementation guide and not break backward compatibility.

Hemal

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:50 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work

Hi David,

Thanks.

Mallikarjun

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
  Of [email-masked]
  Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 2:49 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work

  

  
  Thanks,

---

From: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 17:29:15 -0700

Hi Hemal,

The text in this draft came verbatim from section 4.1.3 of RFC 5048.  There
have been no changes in this area.

The new text (as well as the old text) requires the TaskReporting key to be
negotiated to "FastAbort" before the multi-task abort semantics can be used
on an iSCSI session.

Thanks.

Mallikarjun

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Hemal Shah [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 4:51 PM
  To: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work
  
  Mallikarjun and David,
  
  I noticed one problematic item in the consolidated draft. This item is the
  requirement to support FastAbort. This feature was already defined in the
  implementation guide, but it was optional. In this draft, it became a
  required feature MUST - see in section 4.2.3.4.

  I would like to keep the requirement optional as stated in the
  implementation guide and not break backward compatibility.
  
  Hemal
  
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
  Of Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
  Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:50 PM
  To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work
  
  Hi David,
  
  The list of changes you have called out are already done in the latest
draft.  I
  assume then that you are suggesting that the list itself should be
included
  in the next revision of the draft.
  
  5)  Have explicitly allowed initiator+target implementations throughout
  
  The above is of course in addition to consolidating the different RFCs,
and
  making the related editorial changes.
  
  Thanks.
  
  Mallikarjun

  
    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
    Of [email-masked]
    Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 2:49 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work
  
    I thought I'd offer some advance planning/warning on this, as the
    consolidated iSCSI draft (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons) is large (over
300
    pages).  The current plan is to run a simultaneous WG Last Call on both
  this
    draft and the new features draft (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam) starting
in
  mid-
    June (probably the week of June 13, after I get back from a badly needed
    vacation).  That WG Last Call will run longer than the typical 2-week
time
    period, due to the total size of the drafts, but will end by July 5th at
the
    latest so that the status of the drafts and the next steps are known
prior
  to
    the T10 (SCSI standards) meetings during the week of July 11.  As July
11th
    is also the draft cutoff deadline for the Quebec City IETF meetings,
revised
    draft versions may not show up until that meeting week (week of July
    24th).
  
    This is also a good point to announce that the storm WG will meet in
    Quebec City.
    I've only requested a 1-hour session, as we get most of our work done on
    the mailing list.  Among the items for that meeting will be figuring out
  what
    to do with the RDMA extensions draft (despite its name,
draft-ietf-storm-
    rdmap-ext-00, it's not currently an official work item for the storm
WG).
  
    One thing that's missing from the consolidated iSCSI draft (and is a
reason
    why we're going to need a -03 version) is the changes that it makes to
the
    RFCs that it consolidates.  Off the top of my head, the major changes
are:
    	- Removal of SPKM authentication
    	- Removal of the Marker appendix
    	- Removal of the SHOULD requirement for SLP implementation.
    Have I missed anything significant?  The summary of this will need to be
    added to that draft.

  
    Thanks,