Subject: Re: [Stox] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stox-groupchat-05.txt

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 07:14:30 -0600

On 6/20/14, 2:31 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
>
> On Jun 19, 2014, at 10:52 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> On 6/19/14, 3:49 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> [Disclaimer: this was a higher level review than for the previous
>>> version--I mainly looked to see how the previous discussions about
>>> the architecture rendered into the draft. ]
>>>
>>> This version is much improved. I think you've gotten the "FAIL" off
>>> of it. But of course, cleaning up the architecture reveals a few
>>> things :-)
>>>
>>> Section 4:
>>>
>>> I think the addition of section 4 helps a lot in general.
>>>
>>> The architecture treats the MSRP Conference server to be a monolithic
>>> thing.
>>
>> As you pointed out later in this thread, this is a simplifying assumption to make the diagrams and explanations easier to follow.
>
> Do you concur that that assumption should be pointed out? (Or did I miss some place where it is already?)

Hi Ben, I've continued to think about this. I now conclude it would be 
better to show the proper architecture: i.e., signalling traffic from 
the XMPP side is sent to the conference focus, and groupchat media 
traffic is sent to the MSRP switch. This is especially important because 
in the XMPP world we don't consider groupchat messages to be "media". 
Making this clear in the text, diagrams, and protocol flows will help 
developers understand the differences.

I'll work these concepts into the next version of the I-D, which I hope 
to work on in the next week or two.

Peter

Peter