Subject: [Suit] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on charter-ietf-suit-00-01: (with COMMENT)

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:43:12 -0700

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-suit-00-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-suit/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm balloting No Objection but I think it would be useful to spend some more
time refining the charter before sending it out for external review.

In addition to the question raised by Erik that has already been discussed, I
wonder about constraining this to ASN.1. I've seen arguments on the list for
why ASN.1 makes sense, but not why the WG should be prevented from working on
other formats.

I also wonder about this text being overly limiting, given that the milestones
additionally include specifying an architecture: "The purpose of this group is
to produce a second version of RFC 4108 that reflects the current best
practices."

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:32:25 -0400

Thanks for your comments, Alissa.  Inline.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-suit/
Right, I'd like to hear more as well to ensure we start out with an
agreed way forward (or at least a starting point).  If other formats
are needed, the WG might decide to prioritize them.

> to produce a second version of RFC 4108 that reflects the current best
Yes, this came up on list as well.  This sentence has been removed in
the version I just posted.  It still leaves in a bullet that lists
4108 as a work item, but not as "the purpose".  I'm not sure of the
4108 bullet will be removed or not and just added as a milestone.

Thanks.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen