Subject: [Suit] Firmware Update Architecture

From: Suhas Nandakumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 14:02:32 -0700

Hi All

On the topic of firmware update architecture, having  a standardized way to
locate the firmware server is critical for the SUIT WG.

There are several deployments where the IoT device operating under
restricted network access cannot reach out to the manufacturer's/OEM's
website to download the firmware. Often one does not want to have a device
with unpatched firmware using the open internet to contact the vendor's web
site to get a firmware update and instead a local firmware server is used
to cache the firmware.  One can expect to have local firmware server
managed by the enterprise/factory to serve the firmware.

Having charter make provision on process to discover such local server and
locate the manifest (and firmware) on that server at a well-known location
will be super beneficial.

My draft does talk at a higher level on how this can be achieved along with
reaching out to manufacturer's server in the alternate scenarios.

If the WG think such a mechanism is useful, we should work on getting that
requirement as part of the charter. This part of the problem is more in
need of standardization than than the format of the manifest as it is
actually needed for interoperability.

Cheers

Suhas