Subject: [Suit] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-suit-00-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 06:56:08 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-suit-00-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-suit/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why the charter wants to focus on specific serialization
formats.

"The initial focus of this group will be development of the information model
for the contents of a manifest. Once there is general agreement on the
contents, the group will pick a small number of serialization formats such as
CBOR and/or ASN.1 (and their associated cryptographic mechanisms) to encode the
manifest."

Because it's IoT and it has to be efficient?
In the end, you care about a data model [RFC3444] as opposed to a information
model [RFC3444], from which you can automate your serialization formats.
Actually, the serialization of the day... Btw, This doesn't prevent to specify
a default for interoperability.

I'll trust the responsible AD on that matter.

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:06:51 -0500

Benoit,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-suit/

Thanks for your comments.  The additional language for serialization
formats, data model, and information model was the outcome from the
BoF and recent list discussion.  Hence, the language tried to clarify
the discussion and open up the options for this.  The result is just
what you are saying, the WG will be open to what's needed and no
decision has been made in the charter.  I believe the charter lines up
with your request and that's how the chairs see it.  We'll keep your
comments in mind and appreciate your review.

Thank you.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen