Subject: [Syslog-sec] Meeting in Vancouver

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

I'm going to schedule a meeting for Vancouver.

(1)

Let's start an email discussion of the topics Sam brought up about 
syslog-protocol.  I'd like to get resolution to all items in Vancouver.

(2)

It sounds like there is a healthy discussion going on in the IETF 
Discussion list about secure transports for some other telemetry 
protocols.
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/index.html

- Netconf has chosen SSH as their MANDATORY TO IMPLEMENT transport with
   BEEP as OPTIONAL.
- ISMS (SNMPv3) is in the process of selecting a secure transport and
   they are considering SSH.

It may be that this furor will have died down and the IESG will have set a 
direction for this type of transport - or a defacto direction will have 
been set.

I'm open to a discussion about this both on the email list and at the 
meeting.  Would anyone like to volunteer to lead it?

[I'm using the word "transport" here but it may be more appropriate to 
call the use of SSH something more like a "secure substrate".]

(3)

Alex Clemm has agreed to work with John Callas on the syslog-sign ID.  I'd 
like to get a quick update on that.  (Not sure if either will be there.)

Are there any other topics for discussion in Vancouver?  If so, please 
send them around to the list.

Thanks,
Chris
_______________________________________________
Syslog-sec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog-sec

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:16:17 -0400

Hi Chris,

Regarding item#2, the O&M Area is planning to have an open area
meeting, and one of the topics that has been proposed for that area
meeting relates to the convergence between protocols for management:

    Whither SNMP+ISMS/NETCONF?

    Some people see potential in evolving NETCONF - which currently
    focuses on configuration management - into a more general network
    management protocol, which would subsume much of what SNMP was
    designed for.  At the same time, the ISMS (Integrated Security
    Mechanisms for SNMP) WG is converging towards the same
    connection-oriented underlying transport (SSH) as NETCONF.

    Now seems to be a good time to think about the overlap between
    SNMP+ISMS and NETCONF, and whether an effort should be made in the
    IETF at unifying the two.

Syslog developers might want to plan to participate in that meeting. 

The Netconf WG has discussed using syslog as its notification
protocol, and SNMPv3 added a human-readable securityName explicitly so
it could be used for logging purposes, so syslog developers might want
to request that the O&M meeting also include a discussion of where
syslog might be utilized effectively in combination with other
management standards.

David Harrington
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> Chris Lonvick
> Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 5:29 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Syslog-sec] Meeting in Vancouver
> 
> Hi Folks,
>

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:16:17 -0400

Hi Chris,

David Harrington
[email-masked]