Subject: RE: Prefix - was: RE: [Syslog-sec] AD Review for draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-14

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:39:01 +0200

WG,

> Another alternative would be to use the precedent set (and already 
> accepted by the IESG) in the SSH IDs.  This would mean that the 
> IANA-registered SD-ID params could not use the "@" character. 
>  See section 
> 6 of draft-ietf-secsh-architecture-22.txt and Section 4.6.1 of 
> draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-12.txt.

I have now reviewed the references Chris has provided. While I still
have some concerns about the length of SD-IDs (in respect the the
smallest guaranteed message size of 480 octets), I think this would be a
good route to take.

The references are currently IDs, too. The text is relatively short. In
order to avoid the need for syslog-protocol to wait on them, I will copy
over the relavant text to syslog-protocol.

I would appreciate to hear if there is any objection to my suggestion.

> This would allow something like
>     [origin [email-masked]="1"]
> or even
>     [[email-masked] foo="bar"]

I would go for the second sample ([[email-masked] foo="bar"]),
effectively disallowing any non-standard Param-Names from standard
SD-IDs. I think this is consistent with Sam's comments, somewhat more
straightforward, and in some cases preserves valuable space inside the
message.

Comments are appreciated.
Rainer

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:18:50 -0400

The ssh ids are in the rfc editor queue and have been there for
months, so waiting on them is not an issue.  However I believe copying
the text is fine.