Subject: [Syslog] Running code...

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:39:55 +0100

Hi WG,

I think we have made good progress not only on the charter but also on
ideas of how the next revision of syslog-protocol could look like.
However, we have some very theoretic discussions about practical issues
of compatibility and modifying existing code. I have become tired of
thinking what could happen and so I have actually *implemented* today
what we discussed so far. 

My arguments are now backed by actual experience. I guess that's a nice
asset ;) The good news is that it basically is quite easy to modify an
existing code base to support what we currently have. However, there are
some things that do not work out as we thought. Some other points (like
NUL) have proven to be quite problematic.

I have documented my proof-of-concept and all notes on its projects home
page. I could copy and paste everything in here, but I think there is no
point in reformatting html to email, so please visit

http://www.rsyslog.com/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view&f=/syslog-
protocol.html

If you would like to have a look at the code, you need to obtain it via
anonymous CVS (use the link on the home page). The downloadable packages
do not include today's changes.

Rainer

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog