Subject: RE: [Syslog] #2, max message size - Need to resolve this

From: "Alexander Clemm \(alex\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:12:26 -0800

I think there is general agreement to specify minimum msg size, not
maximum msg size in syslog-protocol.  

Concerning the transport, the same should hold true.  I could see that
there may be cases in which a transport might specify a minimum msg size
that is larger than the one in syslog protocol (so, if syslog protocol
is used over a certain transport, message size may be larger than what
would be mandated by syslog protocol itself).   I don't see that you
should mandate to define a max message size for the same reasons we
wouldn't define it in syslog-protocol itself.  Why unnecessarily impose
constraints when you don't have to?  In other words, just define min
sizes that implementations are obliged to support, but don't prevent
them from supporting more if they want to.  Just my $0.02.  

--- Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew Ross
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:41 PM
To: Chris Lonvick (clonvick); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Syslog] #2, max message size - Need to resolve this

My vote is for the way Rainer has worded it now. Specify the minimum msg
size in syslog-protocol and define max message size in the transport
documents.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Folks,

We need to resolve this one.  I've heard from Rainer and a very few
others.  I'd like to hear from more people on this.  Choose one:

__  The maximum message length needs to be defined in syslog-protocol.

__  The maximum message length should be defined in the transport
     documents.

__  I have a different idea....

Please VOTE NOW!

Thanks,
Chris

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Darren Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:36:15 +1100 (EST)

> maximum msg size in syslog-protocol.  

FWIW, I think this is a much better idea.

Darren