Subject: [Syslog] FW: Real Notification Requirements for Netconf

From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:38:44 -0600

Hi,

There is a discussion about  netconf notification messages going on in
the netconf WG. Part of the discussion is about carrying syslog
content in netconf notifications. It might be useful to have some
syslog experts monitor and contribute to the discussion.

David Harrington
[email-masked] 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Juergen Schoenwaelder
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:18 AM
To: Shane Kerr
Cc: Andy Bierman; Netconf (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Real Notification Requirements

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 05:02:25PM +0200, Shane Kerr wrote:
 
> Perhaps it would be better to focus on adding a subscription
mechanism
> to SYSLOG?

Certainly an option. Having a subcription mechanism is actually for me
an important feature. Some 12 years ago, we hacked our central syslog
daemon to actually ship syslog messages once you connected to it and
it was a lovely hack which we used a lot (since it makes access to
syslog message real simply for programs).

On the classification question: I think you can put anything into
syslog, so the distinction between syslog messages, configuration
change notifications, or SNMP notifications is kind of artificial.

In fact, it seems popular in many operational environments to have
SNMP notification receivers which simply write to syslog, probably
because there are also pretty nice syslog readers that can trigger all
sorts of actions when they discover certain input patterns.

If we do an interim, it would be valuable to get some syslog experts
there as well so that we can evaluate whether structured syslog and
syslog enhancements will actually solve the problem.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen,
Germany

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog